Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #1

General Power Questions

My family and I just inherited a 2011 350ts. I don’t know much about the rig and I’m willing to learn from anyone.

All the interior lights work however none of the outlets work. Radio, 12v outlets and DVD player up front don’t turn on.

Steps won’t go back in if engine is not in, also.

Checked some fuses but none seem to be blown.

I’m getting myself more and more confused with what runs on which battery systems and how to charge them if they need to be charged.

Any help would be appreciated.
Connellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Check out the Electrical section of the library (green bar near top of page). The outlets are 120VAC while lights are 12VDC. Unless you have a generator or inverter, outlets will not work unless connected to shore power. If the unit has the original battery, it may need to be replaced to operate some of the higher current items.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #3

Flybob is correct. Are you plugged into an outside 120v power source like the house or campground power pedestal? None of the outlets will work unless plugged in or if the generator is running.

The 12v stuff you mention "up front" which I'm assuming is in the dash area may not operate unless the ignition key is on (engine running) or at least in the "acc" position.

The steps should have a switch to switch them between "travel mode" and "parked/camping mode".

This is just generic info. & may not apply to your specific model but is generally the set up on most.

BTW, your batteries should charge automatically while plugged into a 120v electrical source. There is an onboard battery charger integrated with your power/fuse panel. The engine battery charges as normal when the engine is running and/ordriving.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #4

Your steps are probably Lippert and the step switch needs to be on for the steps to retract when closing the door. If the steps are Kwikee the step switch needs to be off for the steps to retract when closing the door. The ignition interlock will override any switch position and retract the steps when ignition switch is set to on. The steps will extend any time the door is opened no matter step switch position/ignition on or off and no matter coach batteries disconnected or not.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #5

Additional to above. The door switch (which senses door open/closed) is actually controlled by the magnet mounted on the screen door, not the main door itself. The magnetically actuated door switch is mounted on the door jamb.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
There is an onboard battery charger integrated with your power/fuse panel. The engine battery charges as normal when the engine is running and/ordriving.
I believe the GT has a Progressive Dynamics Converter and it may be plugged into a 120volt receptacle; perhaps in the shore power cable input bay.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Check out the Electrical section of the library (green bar near top of page). The outlets are 120VAC while lights are 12VDC. Unless you have a generator or inverter, outlets will not work unless connected to shore power. If the unit has the original battery, it may need to be replaced to operate some of the higher current items.

Thanks flybob. I have a generator. The batteries are all new.

Inverter makes dc into ac? Correct?

Where can I look to see if I have an inverter?

Sorry for the elementary questions but I feel someone has to explain all this rv stuff to me as if I were a child...
Old 10-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Correct. There is also a transfer switch that switches between shore power and generator or inverter. Some of these are automatic and sense shore power, some are manual and need to be switched by you and still others require you to move a plug from the shore power position to the generator position.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 10-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #9

What is your unit connected to for 120 volts, shore pedestal? or are you running the generator? Do you even have 120 volts coming into the coach at all? I'd forget about the inverter for now and it wouldn't be powering all of the outlets anyway. The coach probably didn't come with an inverter but the previous owner might have installed one. If your not connected to shore power start the generator and see if you now have AC voltage. If not check that the generator circuit breakers (on the generator itself) are not off. Your main power panel is probably in the bedroom so check that all the circuit breakers in that panel are not tripped.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
What is your unit connected to for 120 volts, shore pedestal? or are you running the generator? Do you even have 120 volts coming into the coach at all? I'd forget about the inverter for now and it wouldn't be powering all of the outlets anyway. The coach probably didn't come with an inverter but the previous owner might have installed one. If your not connected to shore power start the generator and see if you now have AC voltage. If not check that the generator circuit breakers (on the generator itself) are not off. Your main power panel is probably in the bedroom so check that all the circuit breakers in that panel are not tripped.

I have not connected to any outside source yet. I’m assuming there is an inverter based on the way the previous owner spoke about the ability to boondock with the rig.

The air conditioning works with the generator so I will have to check the circuits in the bedroom.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #11
Site Team

The ability to boondock does not necessarily mean you can use 120VAC devices. You will have lights, WH and heat ( on propane) and water pump.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 10-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #12

Quote:
The ability to boondock does not necessarily mean you can use 120VAC devices. You will have lights, WH and heat ( on propane) and water pump.
What he said. Also is the clock in the microwave on? It plugs in to a receptacle.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:

However, if the generator is running won’t 120VAC devices work?
Old 10-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connellfish View Post
However, if the generator is running won’t 120VAC devices work?
Yes
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connellfish View Post
I have not connected to any outside source yet. I’m assuming there is an inverter based on the way the previous owner spoke about the ability to boondock with the rig.

The air conditioning works with the generator so I will have to check the circuits in the bedroom.
Not necessarily. Unless you have a residential refrigerator in the MH, there probably is NOT an inverter. An inverter might have been installed ONLY to run the refrigerator while traveling or boondocking without using generator. Boondocking usually entails relying on 12v battery powered devices only with only periodic use of the generator or solar panels to recharge the batteries.

The generator should allow you to use the RV as if you were plugged into shore power.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power