Old 07-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #1

Generator/AC issue

While driving and having both AC units on the front AC will stop putting out cold air but the fan is still working and the lights on the microwave will go out, oh the rear AC still working as it should and the generator still running. I have to turn the front AC off and wait until I hear the microwave beep to be able to start the front AC again.
BTW sitting still (parked) while on generator both AC units work without any issues never having to be reset.
Would anybody have any ideas as to what is going on?
Onan 5500 genset
2013 FR 352QS
Thanks for any help
Skip
Old 07-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #2

If you have a 5500 watt Onan Generator it will not run both AC's
So why trying to over load the generator?

Are both circuit breakers on at the generator ON or 1 may be tripped.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #3

Iggy,
both breakers are on and are you saying the Onan 5500 will not handle both AC units at the same time?
Thanks Skip
Old 07-16-2020, 03:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip B View Post
Iggy,
both breakers are on and are you saying the Onan 5500 will not handle both AC units at the same time?
Thanks Skip
YES. Do you also know other things turn on when on generator.
Battery Charger, Water heater if on electric, Refrigerator depending on what type you have also anything plugged into the outlets.

Some people will say it may work under some conditions but in most cases only use the front AC which is the largest.

Good luck.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #5

the 5500 should run both AC's if it is correctly wired. There are two output breakers on the 5500, each should go to one side of the electrical bus and each AC should be on separate bus. As mentioned you may want to check that other 120 volt loads are off, especially any inductive loads like the refer.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #6

Generator/AC issue

I have ran both my front 15k BTU and bedroom 13.5k a/c several times while stopping overnight at rest areas while traveling without issue. (Perhaps Ive been lucky and they both have not started at same time) Iím unsure how many start amps are required on the 15k vs 13.5 ac but 5500 watts / 120 volts = 45.8 amps. You may be pushing it if both compressors started or cycled on at same time. I had issues while running both a/cís while driving and very hot outside. Experienced this problem in Arizona and Nevada. I added vents on generator compartment door to improve airflow while driving. This seems to have corrected problem here on east coast in 90 plus weather. I remember a while back someone having problems while driving and indicated they thought issue was their transfer switch disengaging then reengaging while driving. If I remember correctly their theory was ruff road caused transfer switch to chatter. I dont recall a followup post if transfer switch was changed and if it indeed corrected their problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	234034
Old 07-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
the 5500 should run both AC's if it is correctly wired. There are two output breakers on the 5500, each should go to one side of the electrical bus and each AC should be on separate bus. As mentioned you may want to check that other 120 volt loads are off, especially any inductive loads like the refer.
Yup, that's how my Onan 5500 is wired. The 20-amp breaker runs the bedroom air conditioner and a few other things.

The OP's issue sounds like some kind of thermal overload breaker that automatically resets but I don't think mine has such a thing.

Ray
Old 07-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #8

Our 5500 runs both a/cís and other stuff just fine. The generator is not overloaded and tripping itís breaker. Iíd buy into the comment about a thermal reset going on but I hVe no idea what that would be, especially since the a/c still has power (fan still runs). Loose connection somewhere?
Old 07-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #9

Thanks Iggy but what confuses me is that when parked - 1 night at Walmart and 1 night at Cracker Barrel there was no issue. Temps in the high 80s and low 90s and both Air units running.
This is only happening while driving down the road. I don't think the frig was on electric and hot water was off. The passenger we had did have 2 cell phones and a laptop charging off electric outlet. My daughter, our usual passenger charges her cell phone from battery pack and doesn't use her laptop while underway.

I did find a site that gives the watts needed to start and maintain RV AC's (should have looked this up before now).
https://campergrid.com/rv-air-conditioner-watts-usage/ - just in case anyone wants it.
it.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #10

Wow I started writing my reply to Iggy then stepped away and didn't see the other responses.
After reading the response from wvphil i was reminded by the better half that this only happened on rough roads so I'll have to look into the Transfer switch.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #11

The ONAN 5500 gen spec says it is designed to operate 2@ 15K rv air conditioners. I've never had an issue running both my ac's from my 5.5KW gen while underway. I would say that I think it is on the raged edge if both ac's kicked in at the same time. My previous MH with the identical setup and appliances had a 7KW ONAN.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #12

Thanks ALL for the reply's! I still have not found the cause of this.
I do still need to climb up on the roof to check the AC wiring up top.
I did find some loose in the transfer switch so I re-torqued everything to specs.
Thanks again and when I find something I'll post
Skip

Tags
generator