Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2022, 08:47 PM   #1

Generator / AC Issues

(2013 Georgetown 329DS) Onan 5500 Generator Dometic 13500 A/C (original a/c)

Just got back from a trip and we had issues with the generator not running great, and also had issues with the rear A/C. Not sure if the issues are related or not, but I think they are separate.

First, I changed the oil in the generator prior to leaving for the trip. Used two quarts of mfg suggested oil, and Onan oil filter. After changing the oil the generator didn't seem to be running as smooth as it had been. I have a meter that plugs into the outlet and the voltage fluctuated between 105 and 120. I thought it may have been the fuel filter so I changed it event though I had changed it about 9 months ago just to be sure, and the issue did not improve.

For the entire trip to Florida I was able to run both A/C's. Left home about 1 in the afternoon and drove till around 10 p.m. and left the generator running while we slept at the rest area and it ran till I got to our destination for a total of about 22 hours. During the drive the power shut off a few of times when I would hit a big bump or stopped suddenly and then there would be a beep and the A/C's would start back up, but the generator stayed running. It never got really warm in the camper, but I mostly traveled late afternoon and evening and then in the morning.

While we were at our destination (plugged in) the rear A/C often didn't start up when the temperature in the room would go above what I had the thermostat set at. I would have get up and turn the unit off for a couple of minutes for it to kick on, then it would run for a while and shut off. Since we had the front unit on it was more of a nascence than anything, and for the most part it would run somewhat normal. I did get on the roof to make sure that the freeze sensor was still in the coils, so that was not the issue.

On the return trip I started the generator, and turned on the front A/C. After the first A/C was running I turned on the rear A/C and it killed the generator. I ended up running just the front A/C and the cab A/C. It was 98 degrees outside and probable 85 inside.

On the second leg of of trip home I didn't try to run the rear A/C, but it seemed like the generator stopped more often when I hit a bump or had to break suddenly. In addition when I was backing up in our drive way the whole generator killed twice.

Again, I think it's two separate issues, but would appreciate any advice.
Jeff DeRouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #2

Check the compressor on the rear AC seems like it it shot and drawing high amps taking the generator off line. I would run some sea foam thru the generator carburetor to stop the hunting that may have killed your rear AC. Seems you have something loose in your power connections take the rig to a RV electrical/generator repair shop and have it checked out. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #3

start by getting the generator serviced.
make sure any sensor for low oil /gas is working properly

The a/c may be reacting to poor power being supplied...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

If the a/c shuts off and tries to restart too early ... ie within a minute or so
then it will have problems, it needs to wait a few minutes before trying to restart.
most good a/c systems have a timer to avoid this short cycling

When was the last time the a/c's were serviced
they need to be cleaned once in a while and check for air leaks etc

Florida can be brutal.... my a/c in the house and in the trailer can only JUST keep up.
House a/c is ancient needs replacing and the trailer a/c struggles because of poor insulation
Old 09-27-2022, 11:22 AM   #4

I have experienced the exact same thing as you have. Only when the generator is hot.
Check your oil level. I'm pretty sure my generator takes only around 1 and 1/2 qts.
I have also found that not filling up the generator to the full oil mark helps what you describe. I fill mine between the empty and full mark on the dipstick.
My BIL has the same generator and he runs his just above the empty mark

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. I dropped it off at the RV shop yesterday.

I cleaned the a/c's about a month ago.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:59 PM   #6

Picked up the RV from the show. Found a bad choke solenoid and worn out linkage. They replaced the carburetor, and it's running great.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:29 PM   #7

what about the a/c?

Tags
generator