Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

Generator Autostart

Has anyone installed the Onan EC-30W wireless generator autostart system? I have been looking at the videos and it looks extremely easy to setup. Or would a wired system be the better choice.
One thing that I am not sure of is, I know how the gen is started but what about the air? Is it always just turned on and set to automatic and only runs on shore power or when the gen starts? I should know this but I want to make sure.
I recently asked at a RV dealer about a wired system (I did not know about the wireless) their comments were, a lot of work, takes too much time, too much money! You would think they would want to sell a system and install it!!
I am going to get one of the systems and install it myself. Any advice and suggestions are appreciated.
Jim_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #2

I too look forward to the forum member's thoughts. Thanks for posting this.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #3

Per Onan the EC-30W has been discontinued. They have not yet released a replacement auto start system.
There are other system available from different manufacturers.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #4

Yep ec30 was discontinued and I spoke to the Cummins Onan rep back in July when we attended the fmca international rv show and they said there was rumors of a app based system coming out to replace it but couldn’t give me a time frame or any other info on it..
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:17 AM   #5

I found out the same thing at a RV dealer today. At the same place I talked to a person that used the auto start he said it worked great. But I’ll look for a wired auto start now. Thanks for the reply’s if it was not for you guys I might have bought something that was discontinued.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_bob View Post
I found out the same thing at a RV dealer today. At the same place I talked to a person that used the auto start he said it worked great. But I’ll look for a wired auto start now. Thanks for the reply’s if it was not for you guys I might have bought something that was discontinued.

If you can find a ec-30 I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one just for the ease of installation, when I spoke to the Cummins Onan rep I asked about the wired system and if I remember correctly he said you had to fish wires up through the ceiling to the ac unit in order to program it to start the gen and have the ac turn on if there was a shore power loss or you just wanted to have it programmed to start when the coach hit a set temp and beings we wanted it mainly for our dog when we were away the wired system seamed like a real hassle to get installed and perform like a factory installed setup.. This was on our sunseeker though and the distance from where the ac was to where the command unit was may have been a bigger issue. That was also for the Cummins brand wired unit and other manufactures may be different..

When I was looking for the ec-30 I couldn’t even find one for sale, only thing I could find at that time was a replacement remote.. Had I been able to get my hands on one I would’ve bought it for sure because all the videos I’ve seen on it look like it worked great! Keep us posted on what you decide to get and how you like it because I’d love to have a auto start just for piece of mind!!
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

I just got off the phone with Onan.
There is going to be a new wireless, auto start for the generator. But they don’t know when, it might be the end of 2018.
It is more complicated than I thought. You do have to connect into a Air conditioner on the roof. It has to be the air conditioner that is farthest back. I told him I only cared about the air conditioner in the front. He said it still had to be the back air conditioner because of the way they are wired. I mentioned to him that it was more complicated than I thought. And that it was more than just running a couple wires. He told me where all the wiring should go and what had to be set. He said I would be able to get it going in one or two days!
So I am going to find the wireless unit. I asked, and as long as I buy it new unused it will still be guaranteed. If it is a used unit and it goes bad Onan will still fix it for a charge.

Tags
generator