Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Generator cycles power ON and OFF

The power has gone out all along the Outer Banks. Our motorhome has powered perfectly while the utilities ran. The power grid failed for now, so I turned on my generator, after moving the power cord. I do not have an auto transfer genny.

Details....it’s a Generac 6500 and supplies power via a Progressive Industries power and surge protector. There’s lots of fuel in the gas tank, the generator starts right up and continues to run, however the display from the PI display gives a PE5 display meaning Line 2 high voltage. For a brief few seconds the power comes on to the Microwave, a few clocks, and night lights, then shuts off. This pattern keeps repeating ON and OFF.

The generator ran perfectly and supplied power as recently as 2 weeks ago while dry camping. I’ve checked the generator buss fuse....tests ok with my meter. I flipped both line breakers OFF then back ON a couple of times to make sure they’re not tripped. No change.

Any help appreciated.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #2

Myself I do not run a surge protector when on generator as I have found they don't always play nice with each other mainly I think do to how the natural system works. Have you tried it without the proctor in line?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Myself I do not run a surge protector when on generator as I have found they don't always play nice with each other mainly I think do to how the natural system works. Have you tried it without the proctor in line?
Been hardwired installed since we got the RV in 2010. It’s not removable like a portable in line unit.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 10-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #4

Assuming just AC power lost and genny continues to run typically is caused by output voltage and or frequency not maintained within parameters. Not familiar with Generac but troubleshooting guide is on line. See page 19
https://www.generator-parts.com/manu...-rv/075239.pdf

May not be your model but I would think the procedures are the same across the board.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
NXR

Since you have a voltmeter, unplug the generator from the motorhome and check the voltage coming from the generator on both lines. If it's all normal, consider flipping the slide switch on the PI EMS remote display to bypass it. I'm assuming you have that switch because it's on the current units.

If you have a unit without the remote display, there are instructions on their web site on how to open the unit and move a jumper wire to bypass it.

But do not do that if the voltages are not normal. That would be...expensive.

Ray
Old 10-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Everyone out here on the Outer Banks is trapped from getting back to the mainland with flooded roads. Electricity was restored by morning but I found out I had the problem when I tried the genny.

I may try troubleshooting your way tomorrow. Thanks for the tip and I’ll report back here.

Ken and Terry
Old 10-13-2019, 06:44 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

May not be able to troubleshoot this issue for awhile.
The road is apparently open to leave the area and we’ll be on the move to get back on schedule to return home.
I’ll report back here WHEN I get time to work the problem, but appreciate the info thus far.

Ken

Ken and Terry
Old 10-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #8

Stupid to say but check your oil they are set not to run long with low oil.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
Stupid to say but check your oil they are set not to run long with low oil.
It’s not a problem with the genny running......it’s that the power it outputs cycles OFF and ON.

We’ve just arrived home from the last trip of the season.
The immediate focus will be prepping the rig for winter and winterizing the plumbing and cleaning before it gets too cold.
When I get the chance, I’ll start retesting the genny operation and output and let you all know here.

Ken and Terry
Old 10-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Hopefully you can figure out how to bypass the hardwired EMS, but it sounds like the AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) on the generator might be screwy. Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) for Generators

**thinking about it more, see if there is a neighbor who will let you plug into their generator and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, it's the generator, if it persists, the EMS is the problem. This is why I'm glad when I shopped for my EMS I decided to go the portable route.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Also, this is for a different brand generator, but same basic troubleshooting should apply:

Q. The voltage at the AC outlet is too low (below 112 VAC at no load) or goes down more than a few volts when a load is added. What causes this?
A. First, make sure that the generator is running at rated speed. This can be done with a multi-meter that has a “fre- quency” or a “Hz” range. Make sure the slip rings are clean. Check the connections between pins 4 and 5
(or pins 1 and 5 on Microlite 2.8KW) on the regulator, as this can cause an output voltage of 55-60 VAC, even with a good regulator. When these causes have been eliminated, the regulator is likely defective.
Q. With the generator running, there is no 120 VAC at any of the outlets. What is the problem?
A. The AC circuit breaker(s) at the generator may be turned off or tripped. Check the breaker(s) rst. Make sure that there is 120 VAC at the generator (L1-L2 on the terminal block or pins 2-3 on the regulator plug). If the circuit breaker is on, there is 120 VAC at the generator and there is still no voltage at the outlets, the problem could be a faulty transfer relay. This device is located in the coach and is not part of the generator. Its job is to switch the AC load from the com- mercial power to the generator when it is running.
Q. What are slip rings, where are they located and what is their function?
A. Slip rings are two at metal rings located side by side on the rear of the rotor (end away from the engine) that pro- vide a means of contact for the brushes. The brushes run against the slip rings and carry the current ( eld current) required for magnetizing the rotor.
Q. Why do the generator’s slip rings require cleaning periodically?
A. During periods of storage and a lack of regular exercise, RV generator slip rings can become corroded, particularly in areas near salt water. Even with regular running, a layer of oxide and brush residue can build up on the rings, in- creasing their electrical resistance. Proper cleaning (such as with the Slick Stick Slip Ring Cleaning Tool, available from Flight Systems) restores the running surface to like-new condition. This results in cooler running as well as ex- tended brush and regulator life. Dirty slip rings can cause overheating and premature regulator failure.
Q. How can I determine if the slip rings need to be cleaned?
A. A quick visual inspection can be done by looking through the cooling slots at the rear of the generator with a bright light. The slip rings should appear as shiny clean metal. You can also unplug the regulator and measure the resistance between pins 9 and 10 of the plug that was connected to the regulator. If this reading is greater than 28 ohms, cleaning is needed.
Q. Is there a place where I can easily check for the proper voltages when the generator is running?
A. Yes. The 120 VAC and/or 60 Hz frequency can be checked between pins 2 and 3 of the regulator or at any outlet, and should be between 117 and 126 VAC at no load. The eld voltage can be checked between pins 9 and 10 of the regulator and should be 35-40 volts at no load and rise to about 60 volts at full load.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #12
Kanadian Kamper

Newest update today

If we all can agree on the following voltage readings from the diagram shown below.....

With my generator running steadily with “no” load, I got all the same readings EXCEPT I get no reading across L1 to L2.

Somethings broke somewhere.

Any help anyone? (Sorry for the follow up delay)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35DEA79B-4EDF-4BE8-8C62-508215F2A4EC.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	218305  

Ken and Terry
Old 10-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
If we all can agree on the following voltage readings from the diagram shown below.....

With my generator running steadily with “no” load, I got all the same readings EXCEPT I get no reading across L1 to L2.

Somethings broke somewhere.

Any help anyone? (Sorry for the follow up delay)
That's correct because the generator does not output 240Vac. It only outputs 120Vac (single phase) and jumpered internally to provide 120Vac on both L1 & L2 terminals.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #14

yes on each leg you have 120 so but you get 240 volts right. So nothing is broken as far as you went.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
That's correct because the generator does not output 240Vac. It only outputs 120Vac (single phase) and jumpered internally to provide 120Vac on both L1 & L2 terminals.
X2
No 240v from the generator.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #16

I think what is going on he is from Canada they have 240 lines. we had a major power outage up north we seen some trucks from Canada and they weren't understanding our power grid so they had to wait for a supervisor to come out to understand system which made use a little uneasy LOL
Old 10-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #17

Quote:
I think what is going on he is from Canada they have 240 lines. we had a major power outage up north we seen some trucks from Canada and they weren't understanding our power grid so they had to wait for a supervisor to come out to understand system which made use a little uneasy LOL
No, me thinks he forgot that an on board generator only outputs single phase 120Vac and it may also be that you may have forgotten that also. His analysis would be correct at any camp ground shore power station supplying 50Amp RV hookup anywhere in North America.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #18

At campground 50 am service each leg is 120 volts so you have another leg 120volts so what are you trying to say you only have one leg 120. bubbles?
Old 10-30-2019, 08:42 PM   #19

Quote:
At campground 50 am service each leg is 120 volts so you have another leg 120volts so what are you trying to say you only have one leg 120. bubbles?
That is correct for an output from his generator which is what the OP was measuring and why he got "0" volts across L1 & L2 pins. He wasn't measuring an output from a campground pedestal which would be 240Vac between the L1 & L2 pins which your input referenced for the OP's question and it was wrong in response to his question about his generator output..
Old 10-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #20

my power receptacle is 50 amps in my bay while my generator is running it still gets the same reading does it not ? Maybe you and I are not talking about the same thing.

Tags
generator, power