Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
ocn

Generator exhaust issues

We have a 2012 Georgetown 351DS purchased in Feb. On every trip to date, we've had to run the genny for an extended period of time. And every time we've had the CO alarm go off. Of course we would immediately take appropriate action when the alarm sounded. Prior to this weekend, this happened with the slides out and either the heat or A/C running. Our dealer told us that this happens at times, especially with the front slide out.

This weekend it happened again but because of where we were parked, the front slide was in. Also all windows and vents were closed, and no heat or A/C was running. There were no other RVs anywhere around us and a steady breeze was blowing in a direction that should have taken the exhaust away from the coach.

Am I nuts to think this is unacceptable and something isn't correct? Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm going to make some measurements tomorrow to confirm the exhaust is in fact positioned per the generator installation instructions. After glancing at them tonight, I think the RV does not comply with the Onan installation guidelines when the slide is out. It looks like the exhaust does not extend beyond the side of the slide.

When operating like we were last night, I find it impossible to believe I have to add a genturi type vertical extension to safely run the generator. Certainly haven't had to on the other class A RV we previously owned.

Other experiences, suggestions welcome.

Ken
ocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #2

Where is the generator located?

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

If that happened it may be the way you are parked with little air movement or the way the wind is blowing. They do sell exhaust extensions at Camping World.
Or you can make one.
My exhaust pipe is bent down towards the ground. Is your straight out?

I found exhaust extension on Amazon for $104.91 and free shipping
LINK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 051.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	21804  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Sherlock

We have a 2012TS & have never had this happen. Would have dealer check for a faulty CO detector.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwood12800 View Post
We have a 2012TS & have never had this happen. Would have dealer check for a faulty CO detector.
x2
Make sure the CO detector is OK.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #6

I think I might pick up a batty operated one from Lowes and place it near the suspect one and see what happens.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwood12800 View Post
X3
Same model coach here and never had this happen.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #8

x4

We have a 378 and have never had this happen either.
ohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
ocn

Thanks for the replies. The exhaust does have a slight downward bend to it and extends out from the side a few inches. The genny is located about where the dinette would be just aft of middle of RV on left side. When the front slide is out, it is totally underneath the slide so the exhaust would dump right under it...strikes me as a poor design.

The most recent alarm this weekend was with the slide in and absolutely nothing anywhere near us, just wide open space, unobstructed for several hundred feet. So I'd expect that to have been an ideal operating condition. The idea of trying another CO meter is a good one, perhaps it is the problem, but it is odd that the issue only happens if we're running the genny.

Thanks agin for your ideas.

Ken
ocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
Thanks for the replies. The exhaust does have a slight downward bend to it and extends out from the side a few inches. The genny is located about where the dinette would be just aft of middle of RV on left side. When the front slide is out, it is totally underneath the slide so the exhaust would dump right under it...strikes me as a poor design.

The most recent alarm this weekend was with the slide in and absolutely nothing anywhere near us, just wide open space, unobstructed for several hundred feet. So I'd expect that to have been an ideal operating condition. The idea of trying another CO meter is a good one, perhaps it is the problem, but it is odd that the issue only happens if we're running the genny.

Ken
Sounds like a bad CO detector
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post

Ken
I wouldn't fool around with instuments or wait for strong winds to run this genny. Why not just buy a piece of flexible metallic pipe which will slip over the exaust pipe.Use some high temp tape to secure it temp. Lead to a couple of feet beyond the slide edge pointed away from the motorhome and try that. Sure get another detector if you wish, I'd bow down to the one you have! Remember the story of a canary in the coal mine? If the canary died on the way down the shaft, its time to get out......
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #12

Take the two screws out of CO/Propane detector and look on back, they have a replace by date. Even though you bought a 12 the detector could be older and out of date. Second, the detectors will activate if battery is low, check current at detector and is less than 12 that may be the cause. Just additional info. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Check your house batteries. It could be that your generator is charging the batteries and because the batteries are defective they are boiling and the gas is setting off the detector. I had a similar problem and it required new batteries. Charge the batteries (by either plugging into shore power or running the genny) for about two hours and then feel each house battery. They should be relatively cool. If very warm or hot then you likely have an internal short in the batteries.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
Check your house batteries. It could be that your generator is charging the batteries and because the batteries are defective they are boiling and the gas is setting off the detector. I had a similar problem and it required new batteries. Charge the batteries (by either plugging into shore power or running the genny) for about two hours and then feel each house battery. They should be relatively cool. If very warm or hot then you likely have an internal short in the batteries.

My CO detecter kept alarming and we were waiting for a new one to come in at the dealers and a house battery blow up. Forest River had them replace both batteries and check the converter and it was OK. They told me it was bad battery.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
A line slideouts

As far as the instal of the generator the tail pipe by RVIA codes for any exhaust below a slideout room is 36" from the bottom of the slide room floor and stick past the coaches wall 2" not the slideout wall. I would half to go with a bad co2 detector .
Chuck692020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #16

This happens all the time in our Sunseeker. We use ours nonstop in warm months, usually 72 hours straight.

First off, buy a CO detector that plugs into an outlet and has a digital readout so there is no guessing!

Don't expect the exhaust pipe to help. It may, but it hasn't for us. I have tried all sorts of different length pipes bent in different directions and up over the roof line. I even took the genny out and put a new exhaust system on to fix any leaks. It still fills the camper with CO! Not all the fumes from the genny go out the exhaust. You need to take a close look at all your seals and look above the genny for any holes that aren't caulked. After sealing everything we make it a lot longer now but the problem still exist. We also leave a window cracked and our fantastic fan running to help draw fresh air through the RV.

I am currently fabricating a full piece of aluminum that will fit above the genny and cover the entire area under the slideout. My hope is that this will help the breeze divert the fumes before they make it into the RV!

Good Luck! I have been dealing with this for 4 years now.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
This happens all the time in our Sunseeker. We use ours nonstop in warm months, usually 72 hours straight.

First off, buy a CO detector that plugs into an outlet and has a digital readout so there is no guessing!

Don't expect the exhaust pipe to help. It may, but it hasn't for us. I have tried all sorts of different length pipes bent in different directions and up over the roof line. I even took the genny out and put a new exhaust system on to fix any leaks. It still fills the camper with CO! Not all the fumes from the genny go out the exhaust. You need to take a close look at all your seals and look above the genny for any holes that aren't caulked. After sealing everything we make it a lot longer now but the problem still exist. We also leave a window cracked and our fantastic fan running to help draw fresh air through the RV.

I am currently fabricating a full piece of aluminum that will fit above the genny and cover the entire area under the slideout. My hope is that this will help the breeze divert the fumes before they make it into the RV!

Good Luck! I have been dealing with this for 4 years now.
X2 You'll never know the concentration, could be harmful. Alarms like this don't usually fail on occassion esp when the op says only happends with gen operation. Good point could be from the gen chassis not the pipe. Head gasket, manifold seal etc. The leak can come into the coach from anywhere, all my coaches warned to poen a window when gen is in use.

"but it is odd that the issue only happens if we're running the genny."
Very odd.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #18

I had a detecter go bad on my last (or the one before that) motor home, start going off on about any gas, including the toaster, and when I called the detecter manufacturer, they said when they near the end of their life, they start giving false alarms. They sent me a new one, and all was well.

I will say, however, if it only goes off when the generator is on, I would be very suspicious of the generator exhaust entering the coach somehow.

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #19

Does anybody know what the diameter of the Onan generator exhaust pipe is? We have the 2011 378TS and I just don't like the idea of having the generator exhaust exit right under the bedroom slide. Was thinking about rerouting the exhaust out the back using metal electrical conduit if I can find the size to match.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
Site Team

Better idea is go to a muffler shop and let them bend and install what you
need. Any decent shop can fab something like you mention for not a lot
of money.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote