Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #1

Generator problems 351ds

Please help. Running the generator to charge batteries to keep fridge running while primitive camping. After an hour or two it begins to sputter making a clunking sound and everything chokes down. Oil is good and gas is fresh. Any advise is appreciated.
Jwdonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
I Break Everything

We have the same model. I get the oil, oil filter and fuel filter changed every other engine oil change, regardless if we use it much or not. Fuel Filter maybe? Are you keeping the door open, is it hot like Texas where you are? Only problem I've encountered is hitting a bumpy road and it turning off.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Just make sure to identify which make and model of generator you’re referencing here for troubleshooting. Naming the make and model of Georgetown is not the issue here.

Generator units were typically Onan or General, and different watts over the years.

Filing it under Georgetown is okay, but give specifics of the generator.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #4

Also are you at a very high altitude?
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:30 PM   #5

Hi EricNJ,
I've had issues with my onan 5500w shutting itself off usually over bumpy roads and high altitude. Was at over 6000 ft in Wyoming or utah. And now I AM in Texas dealing with 100 deg. Heat. Only issue I've had was like I said, really bumpy roads.
I'm wondering, if your parked, do you have more than a 1/4 tank of gas? The gas line for the generator is plumbed to your fuel tank at about the 1/4 tank mark. They do this so that you dont run your fuel dry while running the generator.
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:46 PM   #6

Also just thinking. U say oil is good and gas is fresh but when was the last time you changed the fuel filter or fuel pump for the generator? Is it plugged ?
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #7

Is the oil to the full mark when hot or cold? It's supposed to be at the full mark hot! Mine was full when cold, so when it got hot it was over full. I drained it out to the full ark when hot. Mine shut off after 2 hours in the hot weather. It was working to hard with the overfill oil. Just something to consider.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #8

if it is an onan generator (what type) what error code does it flash when it shuts down?
Old 08-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #9

So since I last posted, no issues. No changes, either. I guess I’ll just keep monitoring. I drove from NJ to Nova Scotia Canada while running it. So far so good!
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwdonn View Post
Please help. Running the generator to charge batteries to keep fridge running while primitive camping. After an hour or two it begins to sputter making a clunking sound and everything chokes down. Oil is good and gas is fresh. Any advise is appreciated.

I had a similar problem and the Onan generator was surging on a volt meter. Replaced the fuel pump, filter and it runs smoothly now. Maybe drain you carburetor too and make sure you have fresh fuel in your gas tank. New spark plug if that doesn’t fix it.
ffalgoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:13 AM   #11

...you have to run your generator the WHOLE TIME just to keep your fridge operating??

Don't you have an Inverter?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #12

These generators have sensors for oil if to full or Low they will shut down. So if is shuts down after a few check see id oil is a heir low or maybe the oil was on the line being a little to full and got hot and oil expended just a little to do the same thing.My 5 K has a cooling fan when it gets to a set temperature it comes on maybe just lay a fan next to it let it run and see if it helps can't hurt.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator