Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Generator quits when driving

First off..........all the best to everyone at this time of year.

We're parked at our Florida location between October and March. We bring the Georgetown down before having to worry about winterizing and did a quick Christmas flight back home, but we're here now.

When we arrived back in October, the last few days travelling into Florida were unseasonable hot and we needed to run the generator in order to use the rooftop air conditioners......the dash vents on A/C couldn't keep up. At best, the genny would only run for about a half hour before shutting off while coming down the interstate. No idea why. Oil level correct, air and oil filters are clean.

While parked here, I have done my monthly routines which include running the genny and air conditioners. Everything runs as it should. Although there is significant heat coming from the genny compartment while running, it seems to run without shutting down for up to an hour.

It's a Generac 6500 model...that's what came with the rig.

Anyone got the same problem with their genny while driving? Is this specific to Generac brand or do others suffer the same issue? Any ideas why the shutdown?

Thanks

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #2

I had the same happen on a very warm day. An Onan tech told me it was due to the high temps on the fuel bowl. When the gas was sloshing around in such a hot bowl, it was vaporizing causing the stall. I'm thinking of upgrading to EFI to prevent this in the future...
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #3

I had the same thing happen and could not explain it. Hot day and generator cut out on a bumpy road. Fuel bowl makes sense now.

Thanks.

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
New:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhind View Post
I had the same thing happen and could not explain it. Hot day and generator cut out on a bumpy road. Fuel bowl makes sense now.

Thanks.

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
X2
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #5

On our generac we had the same problem so I replaced the oil safety switch and the temp sensor that shuts the gen off when the engine temp gets to high.. Never had the problem again.... Now we have a new Georgetown with the Onan so hope we dont have any problems with this one
Old 12-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #6

I wish manufacturers would start sending units out with the EFI model. They are almost the same price, only need a return line plumbed in which is easy, and aside from this problem are much better at handling stale(ish) fuel. I am strongly considering eBaying my brand new Onan 5500 and getting an EFI. They come in either 5500 or 7000. Same footprint so the 7k seems like a wise upgrade while I'm doing it. The return line would be easy and I even figured how to tie it into the fuel tank. Moroso makes an EFI return kit that allows you to plumb it into the fuel tank fill neck. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Now to sell the CFO on the upgrade...
Old 12-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
First off..........all the best to everyone at this time of year.

We're parked at our Florida location between October and March. We bring the Georgetown down before having to worry about winterizing and did a quick Christmas flight back home, but we're here now.

When we arrived back in October, the last few days travelling into Florida were unseasonable hot and we needed to run the generator in order to use the rooftop air conditioners......the dash vents on A/C couldn't keep up. At best, the genny would only run for about a half hour before shutting off while coming down the interstate. No idea why. Oil level correct, air and oil filters are clean.

While parked here, I have done my monthly routines which include running the genny and air conditioners. Everything runs as it should. Although there is significant heat coming from the genny compartment while running, it seems to run without shutting down for up to an hour.

It's a Generac 6500 model...that's what came with the rig.

Anyone got the same problem with their genny while driving? Is this specific to Generac brand or do others suffer the same issue? Any ideas why the shutdown?

Thanks

Was there an error code on the generator display? Not familiar with the Generac, but my Onan shows a code if there's a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-28-2015, 11:04 PM   #8

My generator did the same thing last year! I changed the oil and put synthetic oil in it. It runs a lot cooler now. I also check my oil level and although I considered it up to level I added a little extra and I don't have the shut off problem anymore! I think that the oil sensor is very touchy and just the sloshing of oil on the highway made it shut down!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #9

Could the fuel level have dropped below the output to the generator? That normally happens at about 1/4th of a tank.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

When my buddy and I both had a similar problem with the Onans on our FR3's, it was corrected by turning the altitude lever to a lower altitude setting. A generator mechanic told me that the altitude setting should be lower than the actual elevation.
dutiful Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #11

I live in Nevada and often times I have to run the gen while travelling down the road and it will shut off. It will do it quicker if both A/C are running. It has to do with the overheat protection built into the generator. It doesn't allow the generator to overheat to prevent damage. I sometimes will also take the cover off to allow a little more airflow across the gen set and that helps. I think it is normal and the way it is designed.
psgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgarrett View Post
I live in Nevada and often times I have to run the gen while travelling down the road and it will shut off. It will do it quicker if both A/C are running. It has to do with the overheat protection built into the generator. It doesn't allow the generator to overheat to prevent damage. I sometimes will also take the cover off to allow a little more airflow across the gen set and that helps. I think it is normal and the way it is designed.

Not sure if you have an Onan genset but if so, NEVER run it with the cover off. The internal cooling fan is designed to work with the cover on and running with it off will actually cause overheating.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #13

I'll go with what Bob Hanke said. How much fuel was in the tank? Genset fuel pick-ups are usually higher than the one for the engine. That way the genset won't burn all the fuel in the tank and leave you stranded.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggw View Post
I'll go with what Bob Hanke said. How much fuel was in the tank? Genset fuel pick-ups are usually higher than the one for the engine. That way the genset won't burn all the fuel in the tank and leave you stranded.
Mine was a full tank when it happened. I'll go with what Onan said as they knew exactly what I was talking about and explained the cause thoroughly .

However, on other brands, perhaps the oil switch or high temp could be a cause too. I just assumed that if it can happen to an Onan it can happen to another brand as well...
Old 01-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #15

I had this problem with a Thor ACE a while back....haven't had it with the GTXL.

The generator can overheat and also suffer from fuel boiling and fuel starvation.

Here are fixes.....assuming the gen is located close to a heat source such as engine exhaust or engine compartment.

Order and install a generator compartment louvered vent. A few places online you can order from, they even come in a few common painted colors. Aluminum 12" x 12" and have a screen that you can't see from the outside. I put photos on the Thor Forums with photos. Easy DIY Install.

Order and install an inline "push pump". About $ 40.00 from Summit Racing. Also easy DIY install and the pump is quiet. Wire it directly to the existing GEN pump hot wire so you do not need any additional on-off switches. When the gen starts and stops, so does the push pump.

Install some insulating wrap (self adhering) to any exposed fuel lines coming out of the gen set that are close to the exhaust or engine compartment.

Not sure which one of the above was the cure for mine, but they were inexpensive fixes so I did all of them. Well worth the small cost and effort as I never had a problem with the generator again after doing the fixes. Traveled last summer all the way across America and many days 100+ degrees in Vegas and Arizona....the gen set never quit.

Good Luck....

Tom
2008 American Eagle 45H (Sold)
skyking650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #16

Mine shuts off when I hit a bump. Sometimes it is the generator shutting down and sometimes it is the transfer switch disengaging.
I am assuming it is the low oil switch when the generator shuts off and when the transfer switch disengages I would think it is just a weak solenoid.
Doesn't happen very often.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:07 PM   #17

Generator quits when driving

I've been fighting this issue since 2013 with NO fix, mine shuts off when I hit a bump, sometimes it trips breaker inside coach, have to shut off A/C to restart and let transfer switch pull back In, I added hard start capacitors to a/c units, did nothing for me, replaced transfer switch, not fixed, Cummins has looked at it, Deans RV has looked at it, can't find anything wrong with it..... So I just deal with the issue year after year.... Fuel lines wrapped/ pusher add-on inline fuel pump will not have an affect on a generator the shuts off when ya hit a bump and immediately restarts.... Oh, and yes, I've tried several weights of oil and made sure it's full etc, nothing has changed anything for the better. You can read my previous posts etc.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:11 AM   #18
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Add an external fan if you think heat is the cause
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator