Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Generator transfer switch

The original thread on this topic got off target.........

So is there any way to know if your MH has this transfer switch? A number of members say they had this feature on an older MH unit, and were surprised it's not on their newest MH.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
The original thread on this topic got off target.........

So is there any way to know if your MH has this transfer switch? A number of members say they had this feature on an older MH unit, and were surprised it's not on their newest MH.
If there is a 50 amp recepticle in the compartment your power cord is in and you have to plug your power cord into it to use your generator then you DO NOT have an automatic transfer switch. The transfer switch I installed also has a surge protector in it. If I start my generator it automatically switches to the generator for power after a 30 second delay to allow the generator to get up to speed and be ready for the load, even if I am hooked to shore power and it is on. When I shut the generator off it automatically switches to shorepower with no delay. It really works well and you don't have to remember to plug your power cord into the recpticle when you break camp. Plus, you don't have to worry about power surges damaging some of your electronic equipment. A surge protector alone can cost as much as i paid for the transfer switch.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
If there is a 50 amp recepticle in the compartment your power cord is in and you have to plug your power cord into it to use your generator then you DO NOT have an automatic transfer switch. The transfer switch I installed also has a surge protector in it. If I start my generator it automatically switches to the generator for power after a 30 second delay to allow the generator to get up to speed and be ready for the load, even if I am hooked to shore power and it is on. When I shut the generator off it automatically switches to shorepower with no delay. It really works well and you don't have to remember to plug your power cord into the recpticle when you break camp. Plus, you don't have to worry about power surges damaging some of your electronic equipment. A surge protector alone can cost as much as i paid for the transfer switch.
What surge protector and transfer switch did you install?
Thanks.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #4

[QUOTE=bresdogsr;80102]What surge protector and transfer switch did you install?
Thanks.[/QUOTE

TRC 50 amp Hardwire Surge Guard Plus Automatic Transfer Switch Model 41260 from Dyers RV and Trailers at www.dyersonline.com. They had the best price I could find. There are other transfer switches that are cheaper without the surge guard.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Here's the link to the 41260:
Surge Guard Automatic Transfer Switch with Surge Protection

I'm thinking of the 40250, which is the same thing except with a screen you mount inside that tells you voltage, current. And it's more then double the price. But since I spend a lot of time plugged into somebody's house via an extension cord it's important to me to know how much I'm drawing. However I can't figure out if the 40250 comes with the display or if you have to buy it separately.
Surge Guard Power Monitoring Automatic Transfer Switch with Surge Protection - Surge Guards - Power Protection - Electrical

41260:
50A Hardwires | Technology Research Corporation

40250:
50A Plus Hardwire | Technology Research Corporation
Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #6

[QUOTE=nemo45;80177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdogsr View Post
What surge protector and transfer switch did you install?
Thanks.[/QUOTE

TRC 50 amp Hardwire Surge Guard Plus Automatic Transfer Switch Model 41260 from Dyers RV and Trailers at www.dyersonline.com. They had the best price I could find. There are other transfer switches that are cheaper without the surge guard.
Thanks. That's a great price.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
Here's the link to the 41260:
Surge Guard Automatic Transfer Switch with Surge Protection

I'm thinking of the 40250, which is the same thing except with a screen you mount inside that tells you voltage, current. And it's more then double the price. But since I spend a lot of time plugged into somebody's house via an extension cord it's important to me to know how much I'm drawing. However I can't figure out if the 40250 comes with the display or if you have to buy it separately.
Surge Guard Power Monitoring Automatic Transfer Switch with Surge Protection - Surge Guards - Power Protection - Electrical

41260:
50A Hardwires | Technology Research Corporation

40250:
50A Plus Hardwire | Technology Research Corporation
From the description of the 40240 I read, I don't know what good it would do to have the 40250 unless you had automatic start on your generator also. Although you could monitor your load.