Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 07:28 PM   #1

Georgetown 329 Carpet removal

I am a long time reader here of the forums. But after searching and reading up I am hoping someone can clear up a question I have. My 329 has half carpet over vinyl in the living room area up to the driving area. I am wondering if anyone here has experience in removing the carpet and leaving the existing vinyl floor? I am wondering also about how the slide will move if the carpet is removed. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

HTH
Hilltophunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #2

it has been my experience when removing the carpet in a rig the real pain is pulling all the staples used to secure it. I doubt your slide is supported by the carpet otherwise you would get ware marks on the carpet.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltophunter View Post
I am a long time reader here of the forums. But after searching and reading up I am hoping someone can clear up a question I have. My 329 has half carpet over vinyl in the living room area up to the driving area. I am wondering if anyone here has experience in removing the carpet and leaving the existing vinyl floor? I am wondering also about how the slide will move if the carpet is removed. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

HTH
Are you sure the carpet is over top of the vinyl, or is there trim where the two meet? Seems unlikely they’d put both. They always try to cut costs.

We replaced our Georgetown flooring as one style from the bedroom carpet to the cockpit, where I installed one piece rubber matting. It made cleaning the cockpit easier where muddy feet might end up.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #4

I cannot find any trim pieces. Where I did a corner carpet pull by the slides, I found the vinyl under it... I hope they put down under there to save time over money. Can you give further details on the one piece rubber matting? How did you address the engine cover?

HTH
Old 11-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #5

Not in this case

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Are you sure the carpet is over top of the vinyl, or is there trim where the two meet? Seems unlikely they’d put both. They always try to cut costs.
No, it's likely that the carpet is over vinyl.

I've had a couple of trailers apart, and refloored one of them.

The construction process goes like this:
Get a frame
Put a deck on it. (Ours have plywood. Some have a sandwich of styrofoam (meat) and thin plywood (bread)).
Cover the complete deck with a roll of 8' wide linoleum. Staple at edges
Place the walls on the linoleum and nail/screw down.
Place carpet in the areas to be carpeted.
Finish building the trailer.
That's why areas like "baggage compartments" have linoleum or both linoleum and carpet.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:

HTH

A few years ago we changed the flooring in our ( 2012 ) 378. We removed carpet from the driver and passenger chairs back to where it transitioned to vinyl flooring in the kitchen . We also removed some of the carpet in the bedroom at the back of the mh.

We installed Allure peel and stick tiles ,purchased from HD, but we also used floor adhesive to ensure it stayed down. In addition to going over the osb under the carpet we also went over the existing vinyl as well.
For the most part it went fairly well although in the right light you can see were the tiles crossed over the existing vinyl . Doing it again we might have tried to remove the vinyl. Then again it may have been glued to the osb and a real problem to remove.

To prevent the slides from scratching the new flooring we put carpet runners down beside the slides when we bring them in.The slides slightly rise up then down on the runners which slide across the tile floor protecting it. Works like a charm.

My only suggestion is ,if you install floor tiles like we did , install it during warm weather as they will expand and contract .So in cold weather you will have slight gaps which will fill in once weather improves.
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:26 PM   #7

Heat gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
For the most part it went fairly well although in the right light you can see were the tiles crossed over the existing vinyl . Doing it again we might have tried to remove the vinyl. Then again it may have been glued to the osb and a real problem to remove.
For the benefit of others reading this who might be considering the same thing, a heat gun will release the tile adhesive. With the heat gun in one hand and a 4" scraper/putty knife in the other, you can cover a lot of ground quickly.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
I cannot find any trim pieces. Where I did a corner carpet pull by the slides, I found the vinyl under it... I hope they put down under there to save time over money. Can you give further details on the one piece rubber matting? How did you address the engine cover?

HTH
I left the carpet on the engine cover, or doghouse as some call it. It wasn’t worn out, and actually offered sound insulation from the engine.

Here’s two pictures, but they’re not great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8D301C44-1569-4FD0-8E05-2468A9663B9C.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	242876   Click image for larger version

Name:	4DB2E9F5-0E65-4ADF-B87E-95AAECD36836.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	242877  

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 11-11-2020, 10:53 PM   #9

Thanks for the input. We ordered replacement furniture today, so the wheels are in motion. I like the matting idea
Old 11-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Two portions of this allowed me to cover the entire cockpit. Used double sided tape to hold it in place, then some metal trim as a bridge from the main flooring.

It’s super easy for cleaning, and some of the new model Georgetown units are doing this as a factory offer.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...3508/206414770

Ken and Terry
Old 11-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #11

Thanks for the home depot link. I think I will go that route.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #12

Carpet has left the coach

It wasn't too bad and the slide works without dragging on the vinyl. Now to address the "doghouse"... anyone have any input? I am thinking of having it Rhinolined.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201113_161557.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	243192   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201113_194105.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	243193  
Old 11-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #13
Kanadian Kamper

I only remember that people who removed the carpeting from the doghouse had few things to report.....

1. It’s a tiresome, tedious job removing it from the doghouse because of the great glue they use in the factory.
2. If you’re thinking of re-carpeting, it takes forever to figure out the pattern so it fits with no overlap and no lumps.
3. If you don’t use carpet, you will find the cockpit noisier.
4. It’s best to use sound/heat insulation on the engine side of the housing to reduce engine noise because you’ll have the housing off anyway.

Carry on, and report back.
Your new flooring looks great....fresh and updated.

Ken and Terry
Old 01-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #14

Update

It's been some time since I added a few updates. We had the dog house rhino lined and installed the home depot rubber matting. I sprayed around the doghouse to blend better. The Mrs wasn't happy with me taking out the carpet on
the floor in the cockpit. I am hopeful it will grow on her.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210110_145900.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	246127   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210117_101459.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	246128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210117_105539.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	246129  
Old 01-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #15

Now it's on to modifying the window valances while we wait for the furniture to arrive
Old 01-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #16

Looks great. What furniture did you order?
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Looks great. What furniture did you order?
We went with Shop4seats They seamed to fit our needs, design and price point.

HTH
Old 01-17-2021, 09:43 PM   #18
Kanadian Kamper

Love your updates to the flooring and the cockpit improvements. Love the rhino alternative to the doghouse. Like I mentioned you might need to insulate the underside of the doghouse to muffle the engine compartment noise.

Overall.......great job.

Ken and Terry
Old 01-17-2021, 10:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Love your updates to the flooring and the cockpit improvements. Love the rhino alternative to the doghouse. Like I mentioned you might need to insulate the underside of the doghouse to muffle the engine compartment noise.

Overall.......great job.
Thanks!

The underside of the doghouse has a thick lined reflective insulation on it. I drove it for a fuel up with the carpet off before I had it rhino lined. I didnt notice difference in sound at that point. (carpet removed)

After I got the doghouse back from the the sprayer, I noticed a moderate decrease in engine noise over the carpet. I am hoping it stays that way when the coach is under a load.

HTH

Tags
georgetown