Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #61
10Isola

Just had my steps fail last week. My problem sounds different though. When the steps go to retract they come all the way to the close position but then bounce in and out a few inches several times in a spastic motion until they come to rest. There is also some grinding sounds at the end. I have a video I wish I knew how to post. Additionally when I go to extend the steps the motor will continue to grind once fully extended. Headed to a dealer this week. Have not been able to identify the root of the problem as of yet. Was wondering if any of these issues were seen before by others. Thanks.

Georgetown 320ds
10Isola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Isola View Post
Just had my steps fail last week. My problem sounds different though. When the steps go to retract they come all the way to the close position but then bounce in and out a few inches several times in a spastic motion until they come to rest. There is also some grinding sounds at the end. I have a video I wish I knew how to post. Additionally when I go to extend the steps the motor will continue to grind once fully extended. Headed to a dealer this week. Have not been able to identify the root of the problem as of yet. Was wondering if any of these issues were seen before by others. Thanks.

Georgetown 320ds
The only way to have a video is save it to YouTube and then link it here.
Anyway the only things that could be grinding would be the motor gear tot he half moon plate gear not matching up oe you may already have some damaged gear coming out of the motor.
Let us know what the dealer finds.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #63
Navion IQ 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Isola View Post

Georgetown 320ds
Thats the exact same thing mine was doing when I found the main pivot bolt sheared . At 1st I thought it was loose, then I saw it was at a bit of an angle. Lay underneath your coach & watch the actuator while someone else operates the steps in & out.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #64

Ohio Bill, the bolt on most steps, Stromberg steps, sold by lippert, is one bolt at top under coach. This bolt hold the gear drive for the steps in and our function. If this bolt shears or like mine, falls out, then the steps just swing in and out and can cause you to fall. This bolt goes thru a cover plate, the gear drive plate and then screws into the top of housing.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #65

Remove the step motor and open it up. You will find three plastic ball bearings.You will notice that these bearings are worn off round. If you replace these bearings with three steel ones you will find it will work as it should.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	15148  
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #66

Here's the facts, I reread all these posts total 79. The failures tally stand at 2 motor gear failures, 6 main shaft retaining bolt fractures (this is quad gear shaft). There was two ball stud failures used on both ends of connecting flex shaft, gear plate to operating shaft. Clunking and grinding reported in all three types. There was one report of step to frame faults.

The main shaft bolt failure is the highest but does not stand alone. I continue to check painted marks across the nuts and bolts for movement. Mine also clunked and ground but did not fail. I also choke the step to zero movement, more than one spare to carry.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #67

Week and a half ago we had to replace the bolt a second time; I had two spares so no issue. Mydealer isnow stocking these bolts so it is a common issue.

Days camped in 2014 - a bunch!
tomnhenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #68

2012 Georgetown 350BH. Main pivot bolt sheared off. I see from previous posts that it is a common problem. Dealer can't get us in for repairs until middle of August. Off to Lowes now to find some folding steps for a temporary fix.
MartyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyD View Post
2012 Georgetown 350BH. Main pivot bolt sheared off. I see from previous posts that it is a common problem. Dealer can't get us in for repairs until middle of August. Off to Lowes now to find some folding steps for a temporary fix.
Ya know that's Bull. The steps are made by Stromberg Carlson and distributed by Lippert. Assume its Lippert, sounds like it by the description. If you search you can find the bolt and have it overnight shipped. I just did it last month for the ball jointed cam bolt. Had it shipped overnight to a local (small) RV dealer and installed in 20 minutes. Don't go all summer without your steps, besides its a bit dangerous with a wobbly stool. Good Luck.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #70

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Ya know that's Bull. The steps are made by Stromberg Carlson and distributed by Lippert. Assume its Lippert, sounds like it by the description. If you search you can find the bolt and have it overnight shipped. I just did it last month for the ball jointed cam bolt. Had it shipped overnight to a local (small) RV dealer and installed in 20 minutes. Don't go all summer without your steps, besides its a bit dangerous with a wobbly stool. Good Luck.
I got them here.

https://store.nexternal.com/lci/storefront

2 Step Hardware - Bolts (All Sizes)
128969; 5/8 - 14 X 3-1/4 Socket Head Cap Bolt
045-128969 $5.00 $10.00 Shipped (2/20/2013)http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lies/smile.gif
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #71

After you fix your bolt you may want to carry a couple of blocks of wood with you and put them under your steps when camped.It makes them very stable and takes the strain off the bolt.
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #72

Falcon35's example of the bolt needed is for a two step set up. I have the Lippert three step set up and wouldn't mind ordering a couple of spare bolts to have on hand as this seems to be the most common problem. Does anyone know which bolt is needed for the three step? Thanks in advance!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Does anyone know which bolt is needed for the three step? Thanks in advance!
Recycling electrons from this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...c-43563-2.html

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #74

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
If you are not sure get down under your step and look up and you will see a label with the part # and everything you will need. I took my camera and took a picture. I then phoned Lippert and talked to someone in parts. They were very helpful. With the part # for the step you can't go wrong.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #75

In the link above, I put the direct link to the Lippert PDF for part numbers and the stair components. It should be all inclusive within the thread above. :-)

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #76

Thanks guys!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote