Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Georgetown 360 slideout & jack problem

We have a 2012 coach we purchased new. Have driven it 10,000 miles, and spent around 70 nights in it. Has been problem free until now. Yesterday, while traveling down the road had a passing semi hold up a note saying our jacks were extended. Not sure how far - they had not reached the ground. I am 100 percent certain the jacks were properly retracted when I started. Anyway, pushed the button to retract the jacks and stopped at first opportunity to check the jack position. Upon doing so, noted that our bedroom slide-out was extended about 4-5 inches. Again, 100 percent certain the room was properly retracted when our trip started. Troubleshooting guide in manual does not address the slide-out extending on its own, and suggests the problem with the jacks could be air in system, a fluid leak, a defective valve in pump or a defective jack. Reviewing on-line suggests possibility of a defective solenoid. Any of the potential problems seem beyond my ability to address, unless I am overlooking something really simple.

We are 1500 miles from home. I presume my issue is covered under warranty. Assuming I am correct in thinking this is not a simple problem I could fix on my own, my question is how to get warranty work done when away from home. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.S. This is our first RV of any sort. No prior experience to draw on.
zaminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #2

I would call the dealer you bought it from and ask for a recommendation. If they can't answer ask them to call FR or you call FR and ask for guidance.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #3

Greetings and welcome

If you decide to fix before going home.
CALL Forest River and get in writing authorization to repair!

If you want to wait and take it to your dealer.
The fuse for the slide and jacks is under the steps.
This would eliminate any chance of an electrical problem causing the pump to activate.

Have you checked your fluid level?
The reservoir is under the stairs, just crawl under (or just look under the MH) behind the stairs.
It’s a white/clear plastic (at least a gallon) bottle, it should be at least ½ full.
It uses automatic transmission fluid; I’m not sure what type.

I did an advanced search for “fuse” in the Georgetown forum
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1009201
Here are a couple of threads from the search.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f16/lippert-hydraulic-system-really-25902.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f16/no-power-to-steps-gt378ts-help-21684.html
Post # 3 has a link to a PDF.

Good luck
ab & jb
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaminer View Post
We have a 2012 coach we purchased new. Have driven it 10,000 miles, and spent around 70 nights in it. Has been problem free until now. Yesterday, while traveling down the road had a passing semi hold up a note saying our jacks were extended. Not sure how far - they had not reached the ground. I am 100 percent certain the jacks were properly retracted when I started. Anyway, pushed the button to retract the jacks and stopped at first opportunity to check the jack position. Upon doing so, noted that our bedroom slide-out was extended about 4-5 inches. Again, 100 percent certain the room was properly retracted when our trip started. Troubleshooting guide in manual does not address the slide-out extending on its own, and suggests the problem with the jacks could be air in system, a fluid leak, a defective valve in pump or a defective jack. Reviewing on-line suggests possibility of a defective solenoid. Any of the potential problems seem beyond my ability to address, unless I am overlooking something really simple.

We are 1500 miles from home. I presume my issue is covered under warranty. Assuming I am correct in thinking this is not a simple problem I could fix on my own, my question is how to get warranty work done when away from home. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.S. This is our first RV of any sort. No prior experience to draw on.
The hydraulic system operates at pressure both on the extend side and the retract side of all operating pistons, 4 jacks and 3 slides. Since the system is always pressurized, the slides and jacks are locked in or out depending on your last control instruction. The only way a slide can change position or a jack, is if a hose blows out and system is drained or nearly drained of oil. Another way if the return oil valve (a manifold solonoid) should leak by internally and allow the system to get out of hydraulic lock mode.

In order to get home in this condition it can be done. I would suggest pull over and start the jack system every X hours based on experience. Just use retract jacks. Using slide retract buttons to make sure all are tight. You can easily rig belting or rope under all the jacks and hold them in poistion. They are very light and are not deploying under pressure but by gravity. Most mfg. have return springs.
Most important, the console next to the driver seat not only has controls there is also a piercing alarm horn for low pressure in the system, that will go off before any of the hydraulics begin to loosen. This is your prelim warning the system will become unbalanced and allow deployment of jacks and slides. Hope this helps.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, slide out