Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #1

Georgetown 374ts first trip issues.

We returned from our Easter break Florida trip last night. A total of 1623 miles round trip. We stayed at Tropical Palms. Pretty nice, the store was lacking but there was a Camping World right down the street.

The first issue we had was our side and rear cameras, (link at the end for that thread).

On the way down to Orlando I noticed just how bad the front alignment is. I never noticed before, maybe I was too occupied with the first drive, Toad test drive...the newness? It was driven pretty much only in the dark except for the Toad test drive. The steering wheel is off center to the left about 6 inches. Far too much for a new unit. Lots of drift, even small cars push the rig hard. Wind is all White knuckle. And it was windy...we had just gone past the Raleigh exits before the twisters hit last Saturday. Storms, wind, and rain most of the day. I looked around the forum and found a few closed threads about this issue. Also found others with the same problem in other forums. From what I gather...Forest River only offers Warranty on alignment-steering issues for the first 90 days. Will be looking into our extended warranties and making calls this afternoon.

Rattles and more rattles. We stopped at a Walmart in SC and picked up thick felt cabinet stops. That got most of it with some rearranging of our stuff. When we got to Orlando I removed the thumb screw holding the TV in place. Once behind the TV I found a scrap panel with a vent cut into it, removed it. All the wiring from the TV was loose and the ground isolater hooked up to the TV was bouncing around. I manage to tape everything together and use a small nylon bungee to hold it up and out of the way, (did the same thing in the bedroom). On the way home we still had one huge rattle we just couldn't figure out till about half way. Around South of the Boarder I figured out it was the antenna. A few cranks up to get it off the roof and all was finally quiet. Hopefully I can find some kind of boot or weather proof sock to fit over it? Maybe antenna's shoud be on the rear of the unit rather then over the drivers head? Other then that....I think some fire resistant soundproofing, panels, on the underneath of the entry steps or/and self stick carpet will just about get it about as best as I can without a remodel?

Destroyed Bathroom drawer. The bottom drawer had fallen out on the way down. I expanded the metal end of the lock for a tighter fit thinking it would hold. It was so much stiffer. After we got home I found the drawer laying on the floor...completely out, off the tracks, broken back panel, ball bearings all over the place. Wonder if they will replace it or if I need to go to the depot and get some higher quality glide tracks?

The splendide washer/dryer combo works great. A little self training to make sure everything isn't wrinkled. The vibration and shakes are just too much, like a Disney ride. Must be a way to isolated the thing with rubber or something to buffer it? Anyone else?

Note to one's self.......... The gray tank fills fast with the washer on the longest heavy duty cycle....very fast. More water is used then the manual says. Leave the gray valve open when doing more then one load of laundry. The shower was maybe an inch from full...almost a big mess. Our old Outback TT had 2 gray tanks. Think we may have been spoiled?

I don't like the fact that the sewer connection is right under the water connections. I find myself trying to be as percise as possible to not allow the hoses to touch one another. Wondering if a system of check valves would be enough to use my drinking hose for the black tank flush, rather then carring 2 hoses?

I'm thinking an automatic reel for the electric is well worth the expense?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ues-12211.html
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Anacortesians

Automatic power cord reels just intoduce another place to fail - the slip rings. They get dirty and corroded quite quickly and become a potential fire hazard due to heat through the resistance of the corrosion.

We briefly had a similar combo washer/dryer in the stick house. The vibration on the spin cycle shook a couple of wallboard nails out in the adjacent bedroom! I built an anti-vibration pad with two sheets of 3/4 ply and rubber springs (Firestone, I think) which quietened things a bit.

The dryer, on 110V, was so wimpy, it took about 7 hours to dry a couple of bath towels. We gave up on it after a few months and traded for a conventional whirlpool set.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #3

I have heard of a few people having trouble with the power reels. I'm wondering if I should look into doing away with the built in cord all together for a double ended cord on a reel?

Our washer/dryer combo works pretty well. About 3 hours to complete the wash and dry cycle. We did find it is better to run the wash cycle, then add add a dryer sheet and restart the dry cycle.....eliminates the wrinkles.

I was thinking the same for the vibration. Did you mount the bottom sheet of plywood to cabinet bottom somehow?

Thanks
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Anacortesians

My installation was in the stick & brick house. I fastened the bottom piece of plywood to the floor of the laundry room and bolted the machine to the top panel. It did reduce the vibrations being sent into the house structure by aboiut 60%.

We didn't use it very much because we were so disappointed with the dryer's performance. We traded it in, after about 6 weeks and numerous tech service rep visits, for a conventional top-load washer and front-load dryer. A 220V dryer makes a big difference. I suppose that a gas-fired dryer in that machine might have done an acceptable job, but it wasn't an available option.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #5

Maiden Runs are always a fun trip. You find everything that can go wrong on it, and items that were missed at the dealer. We also had problems with the alignment of the front end. forest River took care of it while we had a Safe-T stablizer installed. Two of the jacks had to be replaced on ours after a few outings. It was all covered by the warranty. Other than that, ours has been pretty good. We always leave the gray water trap open when parked and using the washer/dryer. We also came from a 5th wheel and didn't realize just how much these things rattle and shake going down the road. After tying everything down, we now enjoy the motorhome.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote