Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #1

georgetown 379 2010

Does it have a spare tire? If yes, where is it?
MX54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #2

A spare tire is an option. If you didn't order it, you probably don't have it. If you have a trunk compartment on the back look there, if not look in the side compartments.

Our 378 has a trunk with a shelf that is for the spare. You won't have a wheel just a tire. You need to call a mobile truck out to change the tire for you. That is also why you won't have a lug wrench or jack.

Welcome to the forums.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #3

Sadly the trunk and spare tire option went away with the new body style mid 2009.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson View Post
Sadly the trunk and spare tire option went away with the new body style mid 2009.
Do you have a spare Ron? Where did they put it? I thought someone here said one of the larger side compartments had room for it on a shelf, might be mistaken.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #5

No spare for me. It looks like there would be room to mount one under the frame behind the gas tank. I haven't measured, but the pass through storage would be a very tight fit. I don't think it would work. Under the bed would probably be better if you really wanted to carry one. I hope our tire size is fairly common.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #6

From what we found out last year when we ended up having to buy the 2 front tires because of the botched front end alignment by FR is that the tires although a common size are not always available at just any tire store. For us the tires were 1 day away and the tire company was happy to drive them up from a store 60 miles away. We didn't carry the spare at the time because the rig was only a year old, the tires were in good shape, or so I thought. Having to buy those tires without the ability to shop around really hurt us and I know I spent at least $200/tire more than had I been able to shop. We now carry the spare.

We were in good shape in that we were in an RV park and they sent a truck to us to do the work but if you are sitting on the side of the highway with a flat and cant move, a tire being a day away isn't a good thought.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 06-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
but if you are sitting on the side of the highway with a flat and cant move, a tire being a day away isn't a good thought.
Look at the bright side, at least you have a place to stay the night , FOR FREE!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #8

My 2007 came with a spare in the rear tire compartment. I bought mine 3 months used so maybe the previous owner popped for it.

A word of warning, if you get a spare DO NOT store it on the roof or if you must put a really good cover on it. The sun/heat will kill the tire pretty quick and you'll have a second blow out a few more miles down the road.

Where do many tire companies do severe heat/sun testing? On the ROOF of their test facilities!

One other thought.. A few years back I saw a guy that welded a slick bracket that kept the spare tire sitting above a short hitch extension.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Our 2007 came with the spare. I don't remember it being an option but I could be wrong. When we bought our motorhome at the Hershey RV Show we had it built with all the features that were on the unit displayed. So that unit had the spare and so did ours. It's stored in the trunk and has no rim.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #10

Ours also came with a spare (tire only). It was an option that we picked. So far I have never used it. Our tires are running true and little or no ware at 18000 miles. We do keep covers on them when parked more than 2 days.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Hope we never need to use it but it's like insurance. It's nice to know it's there in case we ever need it. I'd hate to think about getting a blow-out on the interstate and have to wait for a tire to be located. Most likely if you're there too long the police will want it towed off the road. Plus the expense of the tire will be as NWJeeper stated, not the best bargain in town. They have you so there's no discounted pricing.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #12

My rig has the shelf and mount for a spare in the last basement compartment on the passenger's side. Mine didn't come with a spare either, but I am considering buying one just for the insurance - even if I don't change it myself at least I know I will have a working spare when the roadside assistance folks show up.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #13

Thank you for your answer, I bought a spare tire. The Michelin XRV was back order so I bought an XZE for 400$. The dimensions and characteristics are the same as the XRV except for the threads that are a little bit different. I attached the tire to the frame underneath behind the gas thank with four secure tie-down.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #14

georgetown 379 spare tire

Thank you for your answer, I bought a spare tire. The Michelin XRV was back order so I bought an XZE for 400$. The dimensions and characteristics are the same as the XRV except for the threads that are a little bit different. I attached the tire to the frame underneath behind the gas thank with four secure tie-down.