Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Georgetown GT3 or not!

We purchased a new Georgetown GT3 in March 2016. We thought we did some great research, but we were fooled. This motorhome has been a maintenance nightmare. I feel it's been in the shop more than on the road! I was told by the Forest River warranty guy that they make 15 GT3 per day, and only inspect one for quality....I guess we got one that wasn't inspected. Here are just a few punchline items I found: glue spots on ceiling; front AC doesn't blow cool air; logos on outside crooked; tailight crooked; tag crooked; leveling system leaks; septic tanks have debris front installation; rear camera flutters; cabinet drawers crooked; valences too high, shades won't come down all the way; dealership logo crooked, and much more. We were told that if you buy a Georgetown, you will trade it within a year...how true that is!! In other words, please don't but Forest River products.
GWTimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #2

Well we have had ours for one year and put 11000 miles on it.. Just a couple items we had fixed just before warranty ran out.. I will say if a person has no mechanical ability then don't by a motor home or travel trailer cause there is always something that needs to be fixed.. I have performed lots of little things to keep it ship shape..

I will add that having been a quality inspector for the Boeing company this stuff that FR lets slid would never fly.. I had to take a cover off the furnace and they must never clean the shavings and bits of electrical wiring that is not directly on the floor you walk on.. Also the stuff that keeps coming out of the A/C vents.. Amazing but we still love ours and can hardly wait till next year
Old 11-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #3

In reply, I'm very mechanical, but most issues are warranty items, plus, I paid for a new RV, not as is. BTW, our generator went out in triple degree heat, and I had to go two hundred miles out of my way to get it service by an authorized Onan dealer. Also, rear side got stuck out, and the service department had to walk me through dismantling the control center, to get it back in. It turned out to be a loose wire, but one can't ride down the road with the slide out. We currently have 17K miles in eight months, and engine light came on thus last trip. As stated, this is poor quality, but they are making big bucks in sales, so they don't mind the owners who actually complain...most just suck it up!
Old 11-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #4

Happy Thanksgiving and good luck
Old 11-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

We bought our 2016 Gt3 in December 2015, and have put 5,000 miles on it. Its been in the shop more than being able to use it.

1. Water to toilet stopped working because plastic shavings from installation of holding tank clogged it
2. First day we picked it up we noticed the rear bumper was rusted and two screws on the upper roof area had rust as well
3. Glue all over every outside window seals and on glass windows
4. The coach was filthy inside and out, when we came to take delivery. We were told to bring it back and they would have it detailed, they didn't follow through with that. It had boot shoe prints on the pocket door and wall and on the dinette.
5. This is the big one.... to this day our large slide out for the table and couch is still causing us issues. It will either go out crooked or come in crooked. One time it came in and damaged the interior wall that separates the bathroom wall. When the dealership repaired it they put a piece of brown tape over the whole. The S@!$ hit the fan because FR approved to replace the entire wall. This almost happened again yesterday. Has anyone had issues with their GT3 slide outs? I told Forest River AGAIN yesterday that there is a flaw in this design. Stop telling me it's out of sync! Every time we get it so called fixed, it works fine at the repair place but once you drive it and deploy the slide out, it goes out crooked. We then have to dismantle the switch box and independently operate each motor to get the slide back inside and camp with it closed until we take it back to the repair place. AND, we've taken it to two different repair places. One repair place that has been in business for over 40 years, a very reputable place. So, it has to be the design. So far I haven't had any issues with the bedroom slide, I'm sure that will be next.

My list of issues goes on and on. We too thought we made a good decision on this purchase, this isn't my first roadeo, but I will never buy another forest river product.
Ready2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

Good point that if everyone just fixed it themself and manufacturer got no feedback then qc would slip even farther. There has to be a cost to them to make them improve.
After buying our new MH I went through every compartment I could access and used a shop vac to clean up all of the wood dust and wire ends. Gave me some idea of where everything was like low point drains, pump, etc..
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #7

Most recalled manufacturer in the RV industry in 2016! Though I love my 2011 GT, it makes me think if I would ever buy another FR product.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #8

I feel your pain...we got our 2016 Georgetown GT3 in March 2016. We currently have over 17,000 miles, and only 33 total issues. As for your slides, we went through the same thing...rear slide got crooked, and I hand dismantle the control to manually bring it back in. The dealer fixed it, saying it was a loose wire on one of the motors...it's been okay since. Concerning the tanks, the gray valve wouldn't close...apparently, a piece od wood cutout was hung in the valve. Then, during the last trip, the black tank was stopped up...we thought it was toilet paper, but once I finally got in dumped, I noticed a round disc floating in the tank...another cutout. We were told by Winnebago that if you buy a Georgetown GT3, you will trade within a year...how true. The front cab AC didn't work, so Ford checked it out. Appears it was wired wrong for the Georgetown GT3. They rewired it and charged FR $.600.00. They must be making money hand over fist, because they aren't worried about repairing defects. I was told FR makes 15 GT3 per day, and only inspects one...I guess ours was one that didn't get inspected. My wife is on my butt each day to get another brand, but the loss doesn't justify it. The motor has been good except for two check engine lights...one a random misfire...the other hasn't been checked yet...will take 30 days to get an appointment!! We like our RV, but I would never get another FR product.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #9

When we got our GT3, I noticed glue spots on the ceiling. Not only that, but someone scrubbed the spots with a strong cleaner that discolored the whole area around the spot. The dealer just acted like it was no big deal, but I insisted it be fixed. Even the FR warranty guy said, "whatever we have to do to get it right...even custom painting the entire ceiling. Someone please tell me how all these glue spots get on the ceiling, and how did it pass inspection, both at FR, and the delivery...someone isn't doing their job. I have found that sales always outperforms service. I was told they couldn't get me in because they had 30 new units going out for PDI. I said, "you can sell them, but you can't fix them in a timely manner!
Old 11-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #10

Most place we have found our great at sales but dont count on the service
Old 01-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #11

Angry tks, but wished I had seen earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTimmons View Post
We purchased a new Georgetown GT3 in March 2016. We thought we did some great research, but we were fooled. This motorhome has been a maintenance nightmare. I feel it's been in the shop more than on the road! I was told by the Forest River warranty guy that they make 15 GT3 per day, and only inspect one for quality....I guess we got one that wasn't inspected. Here are just a few punchline items I found: glue spots on ceiling; front AC doesn't blow cool air; logos on outside crooked; tailight crooked; tag crooked; leveling system leaks; septic tanks have debris front installation; rear camera flutters; cabinet drawers crooked; valences too high, shades won't come down all the way; dealership logo crooked, and much more. We were told that if you buy a Georgetown, you will trade it within a year...how true that is!! In other words, please don't but Forest River products.
I purchased a 2016 GT3 in april and it has been my worse nightmare. It breaks down about every 100 miles or so. Right now I'm sitting wilsonville Oregon with slides that are inoperable waiting to get an appointment to fix. this the secound time. Trying to find the slide controller but unable to talk to Forestriver Direct!!!!!! would advise anyone thinking of buying one to look else where. They are lemons!!!
780trainman
780trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #12

Wow, this thread has made me reconsider if I want to even consider getting a GT3 at all.
manderson2228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown