Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Georgetown handling

I want to improve the handling of my Georgetown. I am thinking about putting Steer Safe on it. What I am thinking is that it would be better to stop any shake etc, where it starts, at the tires.
I already have sumo's on the front and a steering damper. Not Safe T Plus but I could do that too. Roadmaster makes a stabilizer, its cheaper but I don't know if it's any good.
I will change the original shocks to Koni or?
I am positive the alignment is good now.
There is not anything wore out on the motorhome. 5,000 miles on it. I just want better handling.
Because of where I am camped, only bolt on items would be easy, like the shocks and steer safe. Safe T Plus would be easy too if it would bolt up to the brackets I already have.
We are out in the sticks, I might as well say the Internet and phone service does not exist. 18 miles to the Walmart parking lot to get on someone's WiFi. So I am having a very hard time looking up information. I want to make the changes before we head back to Florida in a month.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Jim_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #2

IMHO - I'd do the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) first, then reevaluate the handling.. You may find that the CHF significantly improves the handling and may not need to spend money on aftermarket stuff.

ALSO - Verify the front end alignment is slightly toe in.

http://www.1999southwind.com/f53-cha...in-adjustment/

\..
Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 PM   #3

We just had the front and rear bars done on ours (like literally yesterday)

We added a rear auxiliary bar and replaced the front sway bar with Roadmaster sway bars. (part #1139-143 and 1139-140)

What we noticed on the drive home (about 30 miles, freeway & city streets)
1. I was driving our car behind the MH both to and from the installation place. On the way there, it was bouncing all over the place just like it normally does (I've followed it multiple times before and this was no different)
On the way home - I was actually stunned at how little movement the back end had - I was on the phone with my mom and commented to her several times how different it looked.
2. Once we stopped to top off with gas - I asked my DH how he thought it drove - and he said "hands down, this is the BEST modification we've done and I can't believe how much better it drives, with way less effort required for me to keep it straight and a lot less creaking on the inside"

We've got a 4-5 hour drive this weekend, that will be the true test I am sure. But based upon what I saw already, I think this was a good thing to do.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #4

Changed out the original sway bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_bob View Post
I want to improve the handling of my Georgetown. I am thinking about putting Steer Safe on it. What I am thinking is that it would be better to stop any shake etc, where it starts, at the tires.
I already have sumo's on the front and a steering damper. Not Safe T Plus but I could do that too. Roadmaster makes a stabilizer, its cheaper but I don't know if it's any good.
I will change the original shocks to Koni or?
I am positive the alignment is good now.
There is not anything wore out on the motorhome. 5,000 miles on it. I just want better handling.
Because of where I am camped, only bolt on items would be easy, like the shocks and steer safe. Safe T Plus would be easy too if it would bolt up to the brackets I already have.
We are out in the sticks, I might as well say the Internet and phone service does not exist. 18 miles to the Walmart parking lot to get on someone's WiFi. So I am having a very hard time looking up information. I want to make the changes before we head back to Florida in a month.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
I have a 2016 Thor Class C on a Ford E-450 Chassis. I changed out the rear factory anti sway bar to an after market Roadmaster bar....traveled 4000+ miles to the Southwest US this summer and WOW.. what a difference it made. Did not change the front anti sway bar till I got back from the Southwest trip and after a short trip with both changed, only wish I had done it earlier. Both bars are Roadmaster anti sway bars. Not a cheap fix but for a little over $1000 it is the best money for suspension upgrade if have spent. Two biggest improvements are (1), semi trucks don't push me all over the road and (2), when cornering, no more rocking and rolling like you are in a boat. I hope this helps.
dwjonesrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #5

Agree with waiter21, try the CHF (cheap handling fix). Here is a link to a very informative thread (sorry if not allowed as it is another forum):
Cheap Handling Fix - iRV2 Forums

I am in the process of doing it now. Costs nothing or next to nothing depending how you do it.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #6

I had an alignment done, did the CHF(helped the rocking side to side)and Safety Steer install and all of this made very little difference in stopping the sway! Oh I also had the tires rotated.
So I took the advice of a member(not sure if this forum or another forum) and installed a rear track bar and have to say it has made a world of difference, not perfect, but then it's not the most aerodynamic thing on the road!

Skip B
Old 08-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #7

Heres a link to when I did the CHF on my Southwind. (F53) I did this a few years ago on my Mirada (F53)

CHF – Cheap Handling Fix – Fix for sway and handling – 1999 Southwind 35S

Old 08-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #8

Georgetown Handling

I should have also mentioned that I did do the CHF and I have a rear track bar. Everything is set up correctly. I made the track bar, I know I am not the greatest, but I am positive my track bar is better than factory made. When I did the CHF, I made new links. They are the exact length they should be. When I put the Sumo's on I didn't just bolt them on. If you use the factory made holes in the frame they won't touch where they should. I adjusted that and made a plate for them to just touch on the bottom. When I was doing this I was in contact with an engineer at Sumo. We was talking back-and-forth, we wanted to get this just right.
I had the motorhome aligned at JOSAM in Orlando. They have a great reputation. The alignment from the factory was not even close. Before and after was like night and day. I have many many hours under the motorhome making sure everything is good. The anti-sway bar bushing's are good and greased. I took them off to check. I did replace the bracket bolts with better. I found they were loose, I found they was close to being undersized. Measured with thread micrometer.
My motorhome was at the factory for a little over a month. They said that Ford would look to check if they could find anything wrong but they wanted 1,000 to return everything to factory condition first. I said no. I was sure they would not find anything. But before it was all over it was looked at by some people from Forest River and all was good. The people at Forest River were great, they couldn't have been better!
Everything that I have done did help, I just want it better.
I am trying to think of everything now, it took me all night to get on line to get this far. I saw what everyone had wrote and I appreciate all suggestions.
When I wrote that I made things exact I am not trying to say I did something better than anyone else. I just happen to have the material, tools and machinery. To do the job. My wife would say no to a "hot rod"
So I made my motorhome my hot rod.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #9

Georgetown Handling

I ordered the Koni's today. That means more tools. I can never have too many. I still have to decide on the other items. And as always, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_bob View Post
I ordered the Koni's today. That means more tools. I can never have too many. I still have to decide on the other items. And as always, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jim please report back if koni's help any with the summos's. I have summos front and rear and blue ox rear track bar. It's handles lot better but it still rough on the bumps.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #11

It's going to take a week to get them I will probably put them on right away. But we won't be going on a trip till we go back to Florida around the first of oct. It's about 10 miles of winding road to get to the highway, that might be a slow speed test.
A couple days ago I was told not to use the sumo's with the koni shocks. I don't know about that but I am not taking mine off now. The same person told me that Steer Safe was no good and only use Safe T Plus. Then I found out his company sells Safe T Plus not Steer Safe
Old 08-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #12

Hi Jim I did it all ! The CHF - Safe T Plus - Had the motorhome Aligned !
Did the Sumo's. -front & rear .....
Yes I agree with you START AT THE TIRES I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE
THE TWO FRONT . NOW I HAVE 245/70 R-19.5 TO 225/70 R-22.5
I only have 3000 miles on my Georgetown got it new ( not happy ).
Not new at this I had a few motorhomes before. The new ones drive worse then the old ones with 90,000 miles...
Let me know what you think about the tires.
1964chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #13

I will order Safe T Plus today. But I want to be sure about the mounting brackets. The factory is giving me a completely different number from what I find on line.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964chevelle View Post
Hi Jim I did it all ! The CHF - Safe T Plus - Had the motorhome Aligned !
Did the Sumo's. -front & rear .....
Yes I agree with you START AT THE TIRES I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE
THE TWO FRONT . NOW I HAVE 245/70 R-19.5 TO 225/70 R-22.5
I only have 3000 miles on my Georgetown got it new ( not happy ).
Not new at this I had a few motorhomes before. The new ones drive worse then the old ones with 90,000 miles...
Let me know what you think about the tires.

Wrong tire size. 265/70-R19.5
1964chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #15

I was just reading through this again. When I said something about starting at the tires, I meant stopping vibration, shake, etc before it gets to the steering wheel.

Tags
georgetown