Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Georgetown: Have you serviced your gen yet?

I'm about to service our gen for the first time. Looks like a breeze now that they have added an oil drain valve which removes the need to torque the oil drain in previous models (not that that was a big deal). A simple twist of the valve and that's it. Looks like the only possible tricky part will be getting a bite on the oil filter since it's recessed a bit.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #2

Haven't hit the 50 hour mark yet, but when it does I'll probably use one of my socket type oil wrenches. I have different sizes and you can use a standard ratchet extension with it to reach those tight places.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Haven't hit the 50 hour mark yet, but when it does I'll probably use one of my socket type oil wrenches. I have different sizes and you can use a standard ratchet extension with it to reach those tight places.
Good idea!
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #4

Mine is a year old now and i have never even taken the cover off of it.
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullenw View Post
Mine is a year old now and i have never even taken the cover off of it.
Well then it's time to take the cover off to service it...if you want it to last.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #6

you are right. I'm not sure how many hours i have on it but i have been pretty good at exercising it. I dont think i have 20hrs on it, maybe 10-15.

I hope it is as easy as you are are making it out to be
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #7

I know what you mean. I doubt ours will reach 50 hours by the end of the season either. I'll probably change the oil at the end of the season that way it gets at least one per season.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

I think they have a gorilla at Onan installing the original filters!

This is my second 5500, and both original filters were really snugged down. I tried the socket type, and it just rounded off the filter. Had to use a strap wrench with a screwdriver shim to get 'em off.

After the original, they've been easy.

Don't forget to "charge" the filter before you install it. It'll cut install time in half. The oil goes in really slow, anyway, but worse with a dry filter.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
I think they have a gorilla at Onan installing the original filters!

This is my second 5500, and both original filters were really snugged down. I tried the socket type, and it just rounded off the filter. Had to use a strap wrench with a screwdriver shim to get 'em off.

After the original, they've been easy.

Don't forget to "charge" the filter before you install it. It'll cut install time in half. The oil goes in really slow, anyway, but worse with a dry filter.
Same thing when I went to change the filter on the new V10. I didn't have to use the screwdriver trick, but did need to pull out my three prong grabber which got it off even though it was all mangled up. Not sure why they torque them so much at the factory. Maybe they don't lube the seal and it sticks. I always lube the seal during install and make sure the old seal didn't stay behind which did happened on this occasion.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
I'm about to service our gen for the first time. Looks like a breeze now that they have added an oil drain valve which removes the need to torque the oil drain in previous models (not that that was a big deal). A simple twist of the valve and that's it. Looks like the only possible tricky part will be getting a bite on the oil filter since it's recessed a bit.
I have changed mine multiple times. I have found that the pre-formed oil filter wrench with the socket type adapter on the bottom where you can use your socket wrench works best. However, there is a rubber gasket around the oil filter that can be easily damaged/ripped when taking off the filter. I have found that a paper towel or two laid inside the wrench gives a snugger fit and keeps the wrench from going so far onto the filter so it doesn't rip the rubber gasket.

You should also remove the plug from the spark arrester/muffler and let it run for a little bit to get out the soot.

About a 20 minute job for the whole thing for me. I do not do it on a windy day because the oil has a ways to drop and the wind will blow it out of the oil pan before it ever reaches the oil pan!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
I have changed mine multiple times. I have found that the pre-formed oil filter wrench with the socket type adapter on the bottom where you can use your socket wrench works best. However, there is a rubber gasket around the oil filter that can be easily damaged/ripped when taking off the filter. I have found that a paper towel or two laid inside the wrench gives a snugger fit and keeps the wrench from going so far onto the filter so it doesn't rip the rubber gasket.

You should also remove the plug from the spark arrester/muffler and let it run for a little bit to get out the soot.

About a 20 minute job for the whole thing for me. I do not do it on a windy day because the oil has a ways to drop and the wind will blow it out of the oil pan before it ever reaches the oil pan!
Thanks for the tip on the spark arrester.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #12

I changed my oil and filter at 30 hours and now have 67 hours and plan to change it again. I also need to check my spark arrestor and clean. I also only use SAE 30 weight oil and not multi-blend.
I bought the ONAN oil filter wrench but others will do the same.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil_Filter.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	49074  
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #13

I've serviced my Onan numerous times, I've got just over 450 hours on it!! Several oil changes and air filters, fuel filters. Not to bad of a job.....
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #14
Happy Member

do you mind sharing the steps to change the oil n filter. I think is time to do it since it has a bit over 60.

Don't get me wrong, I change the oil on our cars...just dunno what sequence (if any) on a gen ...keep it to yourselves but I have made a few mistakes in the past cause I thought I knew what I was doing....haha
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4six View Post
do you mind sharing the steps to change the oil n filter. I think is time to do it since it has a bit over 60.

Don't get me wrong, I change the oil on our cars...just dunno what sequence (if any) on a gen ...keep it to yourselves but I have made a few mistakes in the past cause I thought I knew what I was doing....haha
Step 1 - Run generator and warm oil.
Step 2 - Get bucket to catch oil and place under drain line.
Step 3 - Open oil fill cap
Step 4 - Unscrew oil filter with wrench from below.
Step 5 - Open oil drain valve and drain rest of engine.
Step 6 - Dip finger in fresh oil and oil the oil filter rubber gasket.
Step 7 - Screw oil filter in by hand. When tight give it another 1/4 turn to seal.
Step 8 - With funnel add 2 quart of SAE 30 weight oil. If you are level that is all it needs. If you are in a cold climate you may use 10w30 but check you ONAN manual.
Step 9 - Remove spark arrestor and clean with a brush and brake cleaner or some non flammable liquid. Some use gasoline but I don't.

Start up and check for leaks around the oil filter.
After it runs awhile the oil filter may be tightened a little more if you can.

That's what I do.
Good luck.

PS If you don't have the ONAN Service Manual on your computer here is mine for the 5500 watt ONAN.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Onan_5500_Service_Manual.pdf (7.73 MB, 72 views)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #16
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS

We use ours a lot so we hit 20 hour the first week we owned it. My first oil change was at 20 hours and about every 60 hours thereafter I change the oil. We already have 322 hours on it, I want it to last and oil changes are quick, easy and cheap with me doing it.
2017 Honda Civic
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Step 1 - Run generator and warm oil.
Step 2 - Get bucket to catch oil and place under drain line.
Step 3 - Open oil fill cap
Step 4 - Unscrew oil filter with wrench from below.
Step 5 - Open oil drain valve and drain rest of engine.
Step 6 - Dip finger in fresh oil and oil the oil filter rubber gasket.
Step 7 - Screw oil filter in by hand. When tight give it another 1/4 turn to seal.
Step 8 - With funnel add 2 quart of SAE 30 weight oil. If you are level that is all it needs. If you are in a cold climate you may use 10w30 but check you ONAN manual.
Step 9 - Remove spark arrestor and clean with a brush and brake cleaner or some non flammable liquid. Some use gasoline but I don't.

Start up and check for leaks around the oil filter.
After it runs awhile the oil filter may be tightened a little more if you can.

That's what I do.
Good luck.

PS If you don't have the ONAN Service Manual on your computer here is mine for the 5500 watt ONAN.
You Rock Iggy!

Thanks a Bunch!,

Per your comment, I Started my own library of tips and tricks for our MH on our laptop...nothing beats Preventative Maintenance!

This Forum is Awesome!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 AM   #18

Having changed the oil and filter on my Onan generator several times, I have a few thoughts to add to all the good advice already posted:

If you have trouble finding the Onan oil filter locally, Amazon sells them. NAPA (#7398) and Wix (#57398) also have their version. O'Reilly Auto Parts sells the Wix filter. Both are about the same price as the Onan brand filter.

Sears sells an adjustable filter wrench that works great for removing the recessed Onan oil filter. Since it adjusts, it also fits the Ford engine oil filter. Craftsman part # 51121SA706 It frequently goes on sale for around $8. Sears.com

For draining the generator oil, I place an empty plastic 64 ounce juice bottle on a box under the generator so the oil drain tube is just inside the top of the bottle. Makes it real easy to return the used oil for recycling.

When adding the new oil, fill it VERY slowly. The Onan seems to have air pockets that take a few moments to vent allowing the new oil in.

The Onan muffler spark arrestor uses a square head clean-out bolt, instead of the usual hex head bolt. After removing the clean-out bolt, be sure you are not parked over grass or any other flammable surface when running the generator to blow out the soot.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #19
Happy Member

Good Stuff everyone,

Weather is supposed to be really nice in Ca. so planning on doing my first gen oil change...copy-n-paste never came so handy.....will follow down the line followed by a cold one!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 04-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #20

Ahh, GT4Six, enjoy the cold one! Change my genny oil every spring regardless of how many hours put on the previous season. I'll keep it around the garage in a bleach jug to use in oil cans and such because its isn't really dirty. Buy the filters at Napa, expensive lil buggers at $14.99 but between the 2 qts. of oil and the filter, I figure it's cheap PM. Watch out for that rubber seal putting on the new filter, it can give a false sense of the filter being tightened, at least that's what happened to me last season. Start the genny up to cycle and re-check level and oil can blowing out. What a mess, it dripped down for about a week or so under the rig because it is impossible to get to all the places it ran into. Da! I learned make sure its tightened!LOL!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, service