Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #1

Unhappy Georgetown RV Lemon Law

Our problem is the engine driven in-dash A/C system. If I wanted a sauna I would have purchased one.

We purchased our Georgetown 270 on May 30, 2014 and it has been in for service for more than 22 days at this point (July 24, 2014) without a repair solution.

Ford has serviced the vehicle 2 times and an authorized FR dealer has serviced it 1 time.

Very unhappy with Forest River and with Florida Outdoors RV Center.

We have tried to work with Forest River on this problem to no satisfactory solution.
donlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
NELA

While I hope you get your problems resolved quickly and to your satisfaction, it seems (to me) you're moving toward litigation rather prematurely. (less than 60 days ownership)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #3

I hoped that other owners who are having A/C problems could add some good information.
donlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

This thread is open after editing.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Best wishes to donlewis. This stuff can be both frustrating and disheartening.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
Berkshire 390QS

Have yet seen anyone post that the in-dash AC keep a coach cool on a hot day. Georgetown or anyother HM. Most just start the generator and run the roof ACs while going down the road. Run AC and measure the temp coming out vs air temp, then do the same to your car, an acceptable temp difference for most cars is a out 45. Example 95 outside, 50 coming out of vents. Just don't expect the dash AC to keep a large area cool.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

Ok..will strike Georgetown from the list.

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #8

I'm well into my second GT,and the only time I run the dash AC is once in a while in flat territory to keep the seals from leaking.
Using the roof AC lets me get all available power from the engine, and it's probably a break-even proposition on the fuel use, since the dash AC isn't loading the engine, and I'm using .6 gals of gas per hour to run both AC's with the Onan 5500.

My wife isn't in good health, and naps a lot while we're moving, hence both AC's.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #9

LOTS of threads about the Ford compressor.
I've put Freon in our 2rd one twice, it failed in a little over a year.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eak-49152.html
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-48375.html
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-47106.html
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oil-25647.html

There are MANY more.

ab&jb
Old 07-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #10

Wouldn't that be a Ford problem, not a Forest River problem? Just asking. I know that Forest River is ultimately responsible for overall quality, but would expect to be sent to Ford to fix chassis and engine related items. My in dash AC is working well, but I only have 2600 miles on my rig so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

It's definitely a Ford/Forest River/Thor/Winnebago/etc/etc problem.
Ford didn't even blink when they changed ours under warranty.

Forest River/Thor/Winnebago/Fleetwood/Holiday Rambler/etc/etc could get Ford to "FIX" the problem tomorrow!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Have yet seen anyone post that the in-dash AC keep a coach cool on a hot day. Georgetown or anyother HM. Most just start the generator and run the roof ACs while going down the road. Run AC and measure the temp coming out vs air temp, then do the same to your car, an acceptable temp difference for most cars is a out 45. Example 95 outside, 50 coming out of vents. Just don't expect the dash AC to keep a large area cool.

Totally agree. On my 3rd MH, including a DP. None of the 3 had a dash AC worth a damn. Either we tough it out or run the roof AC's!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #13

Never had a problem with my 2011 378 ac it blows nice cold air and I havent run my gen yet for ac
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Most of the time the Ford AC is okay but I have had to start the roof top unit.
We do drive a big box with a huge windshield in front of us.
If we would put a curtain behind the front seats it would probably be okay.
It is the same way with the heater when we head south after Christmas.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #15

Seems to me like the F53 chassis is Ford's issue and that they would have the same issue with every gas class A on the market today practically. So assuming that you are not getting the same substandard cooling that everyone seems to get from their dash...and indeed do have a defective AC...then Ford should fix it at no charge since you have a 3 year warranty.
No lemon laws vary from state to state and may NOT cover RV's...so you might want to check out the legal issue in terms of your rights in Florida and the requirements on you that the local lemon law imposes. Document everything!

EDIT: Here's the lemon law for FL... Florida Attorney General - Recreation Vehicles

It appears you're covered but would have some work to do to exercise that option. Snippet:
"If the recreation vehicle has been subjected to at least three repair attempts for the same defect that is not a defective living facility component, or has been out of service for repair of one or more defects that are not defective living facility components for 15 or more days, then, written notification must be sent to each manufacturer (not the dealer) which may provide warranty coverage of the defects. If the consumer is not certain which manufacturer’s warranty covers the complaint, it is better to send the notification to all potentially responsible manufacturers. The Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may be used for this purpose or you may send a letter. The notification must be sent by registered or express mail. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. Please refer to the section about Recreation Vehicles in the "Consumer Guide to the Florida Lemon Law" for further information about notification, manufacturer response and time requirements, as these provisions are different for recreation vehicles. Recreation vehicle consumers who wish to pursue the remedies available under Florida’s Lemon Law, are required to submit their disputes to an industry-sponsored mediation/arbitration program that has been qualified by the Department of Legal Affairs. If there is not a qualified program, or if a program’s qualification has been revoked, then, recreation vehicle consumers who wish to pursue the remedies available under Florida’s Lemon Law must submit their disputes to the Department of Legal Affairs for arbitration by the Florida New Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board.
The claim must be filed with the Department of Legal Affairs within 60 days after the expiration of the Lemon Law rights period, which is 24 months from the date of delivery of the vehicle to the consumer. DO NOT DELAY! RV consumers are NOT required to submit to any other manufacturer-sponsored program.
Recreation vehicle consumers wishing to pursue the remedies available under Florida’s Lemon Law should call the Department of Legal Affairs, Lemon Law Arbitration Division at 850-414-3500 for information regarding how to file a claim and to obtain a claim form."
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #16

"Everybody" gets sub standard output from their dash AC? I don't on my 2014 328TS. It's strong and cold. Would it cool down the whole front half of the coach? No, but it's plenty strong for the front cockpit.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #17

Scags...that is correct and exactly what I meant by substandard....not enough to cool the coach but still blowing out plenty of cold air. If I put a curtain up behind the drivers seat...I'd prolly have to turn it down...but I'll still sweat in the drivers seat on really hot days with it on full blast. Operating as designed...and not designed to cool the whole coach. ...as distinguished from NOT operating as designed and pumping out room temp air or slightly better. Sorry for mis-speaking...I think we are in agreement!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 AM   #18

The front AC/Heater is there more for the heating and defrosting of the windshield area than to heat or cool the entire motor coach. This is very similar to a heater/AC unit on a school bus or motor coach bus. If you look on those buses you will find auxiliary heater and AC units mounted in the passenger area of the bus. Counting on the front unit to cool the whole motor home is not going to happen on a hot sunny day. Even large fully size vans that carry 12 people will have a front and rear AC unit to cool things down. We all have the same thing in our large motorhomes. Front AC and heaters for the windshield and rear mounted AC units and furnaces to keep the back the way we like it. Just run the generator and roof top AC units.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #19

The a/c compressor set-up would be the same in a Ford F250 truck, it will NEVER cool the RV like it would in a pick-up truck. I recommend running it on Max for recirculation, that way it's not tryin to cool the hot air that it draws in on regular a/c, it will actually recycle the air and recool it again and again etc. and yes, I fire up my generator and run the roof units when it's hot outside! I turn the 2 overhead vents to the drivers area. I'm happy with my Georgetown! I hope you get some resolve and can enjoy your too!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #20
ME

I must report the same issue if it is warm out say 90 degrees or so I run dash air to just keep the cab area cool. I DID change the ductwork a tad (it was barely screwed in place) to keep me cool and the DW other than that it's not worth running. The generator doesn't run much to keep the kids cool.

Tags
georgetown