Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #1

Georgetown Steering

I recently purchased a 2011 Georgetown 337. I've driven it a total of about 1000mi. The steering seems to me to be a little sloppy - especially on high crowned roads and windy conditions. This is my first class A MH so what I'm experiencing may be the norm for that type of rig. I had a Winne class C prior to this and it also had a lot of "wander" in the steering department. I had a "Steer- Safe" system installed and it made a world of difference. I'm considering doing the same thing for the G'town but want to be sure it will result in an improvement before I make the investment.

Has anyone out there resorted to after market stabilizers to counter steering issues? If so, did it improve the driving experience?
bendrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Lottery Non-Winner

I have not augmented my steering with any aftermarket appliances. I experience a little bit of "loose" steering especially on high crowns and when windy. I think it is just the nature of the beast.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Never again will I spend the money for aftermarket steering pieces...it really made no difference on my class A...it is just the nature of the beast..save yout bucks...buy yourself something else you can use on the road..like a nice beer cooler .....LOL>
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Anacortesians

It's an 11-ton truck. Don't expect a Cadillac driving experience. Sure, you could spend a couple of thou, but I'm not sure it would be worth it unless you're full timing.

How many miles a year do you drive? For us, it'e about 4000. Do I want to spend the equivalent of two years' camping fees to improve the steering for 4000 miles a year? Absolutely not. I'll live with it.

Remember, Ford doesn't optimise the F53 for the RV market.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #5

I agree with bendrver my Gtwn 378 does wander and high crown roads give you a white knuckle experience. I would also go with Safe-T-Plus Steering Control (Campingworld $475.99). I don't know about you folks but the safety of my wife and myself is worth a heck of a lot more than 5 bills no matter if we drive 100 miles or 25,000 miles a year. The longer I can stay on the green side of the grass the better. We have both came to close to being on the dirt side in this past couple of years so don't try and put a price excuse on it and possibly your life.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #6

Check the Thread "Steering Stablizer" 9-17-11 it discusses steering stablization in a very positive manner, fyi.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
I agree with bendrver my Gtwn 378 does wander and high crown roads give you a white knuckle experience. I would also go with Safe-T-Plus Steering Control (Campingworld $475.99). I don't know about you folks but the safety of my wife and myself is worth a heck of a lot more than 5 bills no matter if we drive 100 miles or 25,000 miles a year. The longer I can stay on the green side of the grass the better. We have both came to close to being on the dirt side in this past couple of years so don't try and put a price excuse on it and possibly your life.

I don't own a MH, but wouldn't you think that an item such as this should be standard on the unit considering the safety factor? Just saying.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I don't own a MH, but wouldn't you think that an item such as this should be standard on the unit considering the safety factor? Just saying.
Unfortunately everything comes down to price. The manufacturers only meet the minimum requirements and keep the price down. Chassis comes from Ford and they don't install it so FR isn't going to add it. Same issues with frames unprotected and rusting, not the chassis but the framing FR built the motorhome body with. I would have gladly paid a bit more and have the additional safety.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Anacortesians

I'll bet that owners of box vans on the F53 chassis rarely spend an extra $500 for steering enhancements. I may be lucky in that my 325 wanders a bit, but has never put me off the blacktop and into the grass in the 5000 miles we've done so far.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
I'll bet that owners of box vans on the F53 chassis rarely spend an extra $500 for steering enhancements. I may be lucky in that my 325 wanders a bit, but has never put me off the blacktop and into the grass in the 5000 miles we've done so far.
Thats the nice thing about freedom of choice, you can do what you feel you should and not have to concern yourself with others opinion, IMHO.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #11

We were driving through North Dakota in March of 2010 when I drove past a large valley on my right. More of a large cut between to large steep hills. We were at hwy speeds and lucky for us no one was beside us. The wind was racing down the cut and when we ran into the gusts the next thing I knew we were in the other lane...no warning. Safe T Plus? You bet. This spring we drove to Palm Springs and you can get some pretty high winds on that road but I was totally relaxed and not fighting the wheel even during heavy cross winds. Worth every penny.

Had anyone been beside us that day in March we could easily have died.
VTX 1800 Scooter
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
Anacortesians

You're absolutely right, Jim. We haven't run into any really vicous sidewinds, though we did have some interesting 60+ knot winds around Vantage last season, they were off the left rear quarter and din't blow us around that much.

I think that, if significant winds are in the forecast, I might stay put, wherever we are.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #13

High Profile vehicle, you really have to stay on top of it or your in the ditch with a stiff crosswind.
SnowBird9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #14

We have a 2009 Georgetown 373. A good friend of ours recommended
the Steer- Safe system while we were in Deming NM in 2011. The factory
is a 1/4 mile from the March Rock Show.
They came to my site and installed their hardware to my steering.
WOW! You have no idea what a difference it made.
This really works. I can drive without having to pay attention every second.
We hit ice and snow in PA on the way back, with cars off the road on both
sides of us, and the rig stayed glued to the road.
Try it.
tomandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #15

With every engineered system there is an upside and a downside. I wonder what the down side to these systems are other than price?

Is it harder to turn the wheel when stopped or going slow?
Or maybe it makes the steering pump work harder all the time?

Both of those and cost would be acceptable down sides to increased safety. Could anyone who had one of these installed let us know what it cost?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrver View Post
I recently purchased a 2011 Georgetown 337. I've driven it a total of about 1000mi. The steering seems to me to be a little sloppy - especially on high crowned roads and windy conditions. This is my first class A MH so what I'm experiencing may be the norm for that type of rig. I had a Winne class C prior to this and it also had a lot of "wander" in the steering department. I had a "Steer- Safe" system installed and it made a world of difference. I'm considering doing the same thing for the G'town but want to be sure it will result in an improvement before I make the investment.

Has anyone out there resorted to after market stabilizers to counter steering issues? If so, did it improve the driving experience?
The Steer Safe on my 2009 373 made a huge difference
It cost $410 installed
tomandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #17

If you got the bucks, blow it..but i know that my money was like flushing down the drain as it made no difference at all. I have been driving class A units for over 25 years. Basically, they all are the same except I have to admitt the new Ford we have on our GT 360 is a big improvement over other years. I have driven everything from semi to snow machines including flying lots of different types of aircraft. It is a skill that you get better at the more you drive. Save your money for retirement.....or old age....oh I guess I am there on both counts.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #18

I have a 2009 georgetown 350, the sway bars have two sets of holes. Ford has them set in the front hole. If you move them to the rear holes it is about 70% better.The rear has a z bracket you need to turn around,it only takes about fifteen minutes per sway bar.If you google cheap f53 suspension fix the forum should come up.There also some picteres.
miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #19

We've got the Steer Safe and the rigs has very little sway etc. Road with deep groooves from years of travel make the tire tend to want to grab the sides of the grooves and want to pull the rigs. All 6 of ours did it. This seems to be the best over the road unit we've had yet.
Fourn3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #20

What chassis do you have? We have the f53 2008 and added the tru track from henderson.It worked ok but changing to the rear holes in the sway bars made a big difference. A friend just did his 2011 f53 and can't beleve a simple little adjustment makes such a big difference.
miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote