Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #61

Has anyone had the trans fluid changed yet ? I think the book says 4 years or 48000 miles.
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypal View Post
Has anyone had the trans fluid changed yet ? I think the book says 4 years or 48000 miles.
I have a 2012 378TS:
I had my fluid flushed at Ford at 30,000 miles and 2 years. I also had them flush out the brake system while they had it.
I figure it is always better to get it flushed because you count on the transmission and brakes a lot. Now I have a lot more miles on my Georgetown so I decided to have it done now instead of having any issues of contamination in the future. I expect to drive another a lot in coming years.
Oh I now have 36,000 miles on my rig and I'm the original owner.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #63

The Ford specified normal scheduled maintenance calls for changing engine oil and filter every 7500 miles or 6 months (whichever comes first). This is my first motorhome and I will most likely always hit the time limit well before the miles. I was wondering what others experience is with regard to the time between oil changes vs. miles.
WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
The Ford specified normal scheduled maintenance calls for changing engine oil and filter every 7500 miles or 6 months (whichever comes first). This is my first motorhome and I will most likely always hit the time limit well before the miles. I was wondering what others experience is with regard to the time between oil changes vs. miles.
I would think it depends on what part of the country you are located and the weather.
If your rig is sitting in high humidity it kind of helps for corrosion inside the engine if you don't start get your engine warmed up and circulate the oil every few weeks.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #65

It is definitely humid here in Houston and I do make sure I exercise both the engine and generator every two to three weeks. One reason I was wondering about the time between oil changes is that I have a Chevy Tahoe that has an oil monitoring system that tells you when to change the oil. I don't put a lot of miles on it and it will go quite a bit longer than 6 months before signaling time for an oil change.
With the investment I have in the motorhome I suppose it is best to err on the side of following the Ford 6 month recommendation even if I might only have a few hundred miles on it. I was just curious what others were doing in the case of low miles.
WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
It is definitely humid here in Houston and I do make sure I exercise both the engine and generator every two to three weeks. One reason I was wondering about the time between oil changes is that I have a Chevy Tahoe that has an oil monitoring system that tells you when to change the oil. I don't put a lot of miles on it and it will go quite a bit longer than 6 months before signaling time for an oil change.
With the investment I have in the motorhome I suppose it is best to err on the side of following the Ford 6 month recommendation even if I might only have a few hundred miles on it. I was just curious what others were doing in the case of low miles.
I look at it this way. The cost of changing oil and filter on a Georgetown Gas V10 is cheap.
I reply on my engine to haul me around a lot as I'm closing in on my 40,000 mark. Many time I change my own as its so easy.
I have had 8 oil changes in mine with 36,000 miles.
So that's comes out to 4,500 miles average between changes.
And being a 2012 and it comes out to every 6 months also.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #67

I had a friend that had his oil tested at approx. 8 months and it tested good they advised him that with most MH you hardly hit the mileage but you hit the date and he stated that as long as its changed yearly or at 7500 miles you should be fine. The oil made these days are more developed and better than say 10 yrs ago. I don't put a lot of miles on mine since we fulltime but I do not go over a yr between changes. I do exercise the motor, trans and gen every month.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:45 AM   #68
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
I had a friend that had his oil tested at approx. 8 months and it tested good they advised him that with most MH you hardly hit the mileage but you hit the date and he stated that as long as its changed yearly or at 7500 miles you should be fine. The oil made these days are more developed and better than say 10 yrs ago. I don't put a lot of miles on mine since we fulltime but I do not go over a yr between changes. I do exercise the motor, trans and gen every month.

I change mine once a year since I only put about 6,000 miles a year on it. I do drive it about 15-20 miles monthly in the winter to get the moisture out of the oil and keep flat spots off the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums