Old 07-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #1

Georgetown XL 378 2 years of ownership

We have a 2014 378 XL we purchased in August of 2018 with 7.500 miles on it. We bought it at a price lower than anything we have seen for sale since. Part of the deal was to have all 6 tires replaced and a credit for the flaking furniture. (common issue) Our purchase from RV country was smooth and no BS.
I thought I'd share what we have had go wrong, and more importantly what has gone right in the past 2 years. Oh, this past weekend we passed 12,000 mile WE have put on it. So it's now at 19,750 miles or so.
Below is a list of things we have had to deal with along with the associated cost to the best of my memory.
2 new coach batteries. $200 ( the ones installed were group 24)
Automatic transfer switch $140
New Chassis battery $120
Main slide hydraulic hose $80
Bath sink faucet cartridge $16
2 front tires $800 (Operator error on pressure, Ruined them on a trip to the Grand Canyon)
Shower enclosure lower clips $17 (bought 6, needed 2)
Reupholstered all of the "soft" goods $2,600
Generator issues new fuel pump and filter $50 (didn't solve anything)
1 bottle of Sea Foam $20 (solved everything)
There are some big ticket items listed above. the upholstery we knew going in and had a "credit" so that probably shouldn't count. Although we did have a custom job done and did not use replacement covering from the factory, so it was a few dollars more than the credit.
Tires on the other hand were all on me. I underinflated with a new gauge I had bought and did not verify. Killed them in a thousand miles. My bad...
Batteries? Yeah, should have made a point to have new ones installed, but frankly didn't think of it.
The only real "issue" was the hydraulic hose for the main slide. Routing from the factory placed it in a location that allowed it to get pinched between a bracket and the frame rail. More of a pain in the ***** to clean all of the Hydraulic oil off the toad and the coach than it was to have a hose made at Napa. And the transfer switch, which failed in front of the house.
None of the issues above are/were real serious rant creating issues. If we had bought new and the upholstery started flaking, yeah, we would have been pissed. But we knew it up front and the dealer was good about it. The generator took a year and a half to finally sort out. (never took it in to a shop, it never threw a code) Now it runs all day, every time no issues.
In summary, I think we have an excellent coach. We have had no wiring issues, or paneling problems, the porcelain floor looks brand new, and we love the upholstery! All I have done is the CHF to the suspension. I can run down the freeway one handed and don't worry about semi's pushing me around. I guess getting a "motorhome" alignment from the commercial tire shop paid off. Not under inflating the front wheels doesn't hurt either. The coach doesn't squeak or rattle, and is quiet pleasant to drive between 60-65 mph.
The wife loves it, I love it.
I would not hesitate to purchase another Forest River class A. Which is fortunate, we were at Camping World the other day picking up a camp table and went across the street to RV country where we bought our 378. Just to say "hi" she said, "I love out motorhome" she said' "I just want to look at the Charleston" she said.
Thank God Gus, the guy who sold us our 378 said "why in the world would you want to get rid of the Georgetown?" The wife was already wanting to go for a test drive in a diesel pusher!
I got to quit going to Camping World with my wife!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1351.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	235142  
Mooney 78865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #2

It's great to hear stories like y'all's.
We too have a 378XL but a 2013 year model. Drivers great with no rattles. Very few issues. We both love driving it. The only modification I've done is the CHF.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #3

Sounds good. We bought ours last year at what I thought was a good price for what it had done to it, along with its exceptionally well taken care of condition. My only nagging issue is the generator which I have narrowed down to an overheating fuel pump.
Otherwise ours has been great!
I really didn't have to do anything to ours. It came with 6 tires that were 1 1/2 years old, front and rear Hellwig sway bars, Sumos springs fry and rear, Blue Ox True Center steering stabilizer, replacement Koni shocks, 2 new coach batteries. Along with the interior still smelling like new! The coach had 42K on it. The only thing I had to do was set the front toe. It was toed out badly. It would wander and dart back and forth down the highway on the ride home. A quick tape measure alignment fixed it. I can now cruise at 65 with one hand and not be tired. I have not driven or ridden in a DP, but this thing just floats down the road!

Not sure on the new Georgetowns though, I wasn't impressed with the quality I seen at the RV show last year. Same goes for the Berkshires. I'll always want a DP, but for now I'm happy!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Sounds good. We bought ours last year at what I thought was a good price for what it had done to it, along with its exceptionally well taken care of condition. My only nagging issue is the generator which I have narrowed down to an overheating fuel pump.
Otherwise ours has been great!
I really didn't have to do anything to ours. It came with 6 tires that were 1 1/2 years old, front and rear Hellwig sway bars, Sumos springs fry and rear, Blue Ox True Center steering stabilizer, replacement Koni shocks, 2 new coach batteries. Along with the interior still smelling like new! The coach had 42K on it. The only thing I had to do was set the front toe. It was toed out badly. It would wander and dart back and forth down the highway on the ride home. A quick tape measure alignment fixed it. I can now cruise at 65 with one hand and not be tired. I have not driven or ridden in a DP, but this thing just floats down the road!

Not sure on the new Georgetowns though, I wasn't impressed with the quality I seen at the RV show last year. Same goes for the Berkshires. I'll always want a DP, but for now I'm happy!
The generator was a real nag for us too. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter as well as wrapped the fuel line to the pump as far back as I could get without dropping the main fuel tank. Played with oil levels, and pretty much everything I could think of, nothing worked. I saw a video on You Tube about the same problem with a 4,000 kw genset. So I went for it.
I disconnected the fuel line installed a 3 foot piece of fuel line and placed the end into a 2 gallon fuel can with about 8 oz of sea foam in the gas. Pretty much ran it for an hour and a half all the while spraying the carb with Sea Foam carb cleaner. Presto! That was last fall. Starts right up, no further issues. Just got home from a trip to the North coast of CA, ran the generator most of the way home on a 550 mile trip. Really need the coach AC when it's 104 degrees out on I 5!
Old 07-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
It's great to hear stories like y'all's.
We too have a 378XL but a 2013 year model. Drivers great with no rattles. Very few issues. We both love driving it. The only modification I've done is the CHF.
The difference between us is you get to say "we" both love driving it. The "Boss" ain't feeling it in ours!
Old 07-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
The difference between us is you get to say "we" both love driving it. The "Boss" ain't feeling it in ours!
Haha
My wife loves driving ours. She'll drive for 5 or 6 hours at a time.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Haha
My wife loves driving ours. She'll drive for 5 or 6 hours at a time.

I wish! Not that I mind driving, but it would be nice to share the driving a little. She is a good navigator though, so thatís something!
Old 07-31-2020, 04:09 AM   #8
drw

Shower enclosure lower clips

where did you get the shower enclosure lower clips. I need to get some of those.

thanks for the overview. I have a 2016 and have enjoyed it as well.
drw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:14 AM   #9
drw

Generator is an issue, it does seem to overheat and shutdown. While driving.
do you still have links to the utube videos you watched. May have to try them out.

Will have to get more involved with the generator.
drw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:54 AM   #10

My generator will idle all day long as long as it doesn't move. But when going down the road on fairly smooth roads it runs fine. But when it gets very bumpy after an hour and you hit a good dip or harsh bump that jolts the MH it dies. It starts right back up after cranking for 5 seconds. Then runs fine until the next jolt.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:02 AM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
My generator will idle all day long as long as it doesn't move. But when going down the road on fairly smooth roads it runs fine. But when it gets very bumpy after an hour and you hit a good dip or harsh bump that jolts the MH it dies. It starts right back up after cranking for 5 seconds. Then runs fine until the next jolt.
Your symptoms sound like a fuel starvation problem.
If it was a temperature issue, it wouldnít run all day long under the other conditions.

Just sayin

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw View Post
where did you get the shower enclosure lower clips. I need to get some of those.

thanks for the overview. I have a 2016 and have enjoyed it as well.
I got them here:
https://www.swisco.com/shower-retain...ardware/10-074 I should receive them today and will install this weekend. I'll post up if there is a problem, or not..
Old 07-31-2020, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Our generator would run all day as well if we were boondocking. Well, at least it would if we didn't run it then stop it and try to restart in the next half hour. It would never run more than 10-15 minutes while driving. This past weekend we had a 10 hour drive home in 100+ temps and shut it off a number of times and had no issue with the re starting, nor did it exhibit any tendency to want to shut down. The only code I ever saw was "un commanded shutdown", and that was once. For $20 and a little bit of time I would do the Sea Foam. What will it hurt? At least the fuel system will be clean!
Old 07-31-2020, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw View Post
Generator is an issue, it does seem to overheat and shutdown. While driving.
do you still have links to the utube videos you watched. May have to try them out.

Will have to get more involved with the generator.
Seriously, try the Sea Foam treatment I described above. It won't take much time and you have nothing to loose. I'm not big on promoting products, but it sure cured our issue.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Your symptoms sound like a fuel starvation problem.
If it was a temperature issue, it wouldn’t run all day long under the other conditions.

Just sayin
I also agree on the fuel starvation issue. Which I belive is the fuel pump getting weak when it gets hot. Electric motors will do that when they get old. I did end up ordering a cheap Amazon pump for $27. If it fixed it I'll either leave it or order the Onan one.

BTW Mooney, I did try the sea foam treatment but it didn't help.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #16

Quote:
I also agree on the fuel starvation issue. Which I belive is the fuel pump getting weak when it gets hot. Electric motors will do that when they get old. I did end up ordering a cheap Amazon pump for $27. If it fixed it I'll either leave it or order the Onan one.

BTW Mooney, I did try the sea foam treatment but it didn't help.

Bummer! BTW, Iím still running the Amazon pump. Pump didnít do me, so the factory pump now resides in my spares box along side other goodies weíve picked up along the way!
Old 08-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #17

I will keep you posted on how it acts with the new pump.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #18

We are thinking about going from our fifth wheel to a class A and I have about 15 questions to ask the experienced class A folks. Is there someplace in this forum I can post my questions about class A's?

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #19
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
We are thinking about going from our fifth wheel to a class A and I have about 15 questions to ask the experienced class A folks. Is there someplace in this forum I can post my questions about class A's?
If the questions are not specific to the Forest River brand, I'd do it here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/

If you do not have an account there, create one using the same email address as here. It will find your account and I believe you'll use the same password. Then you finish creating your profile over there and you're good to go. Both forums are owned by the same company.

If the questions are specific to the Forest River brands, try here: https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f4/

You'll get good advice in either but iRV2 has a large non-FR user base.

HTH,

Ray
Old 08-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #20

Great info, NXR. I signed in to the iRV2 forum. Thanks much!

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown