Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
I drove part of the million dollars hwy in a small Jeep. Scared the crap out of me with the steep drop offs. I'm gonna do it again in a few years. Definitely not in my motor home. That would be too nerve racking for me.

I did see one of those rental class c's with 6 kids going like crazy up the hill. Haha.
Thank for sharing, however, you were not clear whether you were driven on the Durango to Silverton portion of the highway or the Silverton to Ouray portion of the highway. If you were talking about the Silverton to Ouray portion of the highway, then I would totally agree with you because road of that section is very narrow and no safety guard along with the steep drop offs. Even though I have not drive on the Durango to Silverton portion of the highway yet, but based on the youtube video from someone that did the drive, it seems that the road is not anything out of the ordinary other than the steep grade uphill and downhill. Am I wrong on this one?
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post
[I]... There are a lot of idiots out there that believe after they cut in front of you if there's a need for a quick stop 20,000 pounds will stop on a dime. Enjoy!!!
Now, with that, I do agree with you 110%, and on this trip, I saw too many already. Fortunately, I was able to hold my cool and keep everything in control. There is one incident, the idiot passed me and step on the brake right in front of me. Luckily, I am on an uphill, it does not take much to stop the 30,000 lbs coach. I know this will happen sooner or later. That is why I always have the dash cam to record everything.

Thank for sharing your thought.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #43

Million Dollar

In addition to 3 high passes between Durango and Silverton, there's a northbound section with no guardrail, little shoulder, and deep dropoffs that make some people uncomfortable. This condition is much worse on the first few southbound miles from Ouray. Scenery is extraordinary but driver needs to pay attention to the road.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
If you want an exciting ride, try a 32 ft. RV with a 20 ft. car trailer going to Cass West Virginia with lumber trucks racing at you!
I pass and give you a for that. Obviously, you are still alive to tell the story.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc8mdtmech View Post
For what it's worth, I found in the tow haul mode, at about 60mph, just starting up a hill you throttle about half my 2013 GT XL hits a gear that pulls like nothing else up the hills. Try it
Will certainly try that. Thank for sharing!

Old 06-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
In addition to 3 high passes between Durango and Silverton, there's a northbound section with no guardrail, little shoulder, and deep dropoffs that make some people uncomfortable. This condition is much worse on the first few southbound miles from Ouray. Scenery is extraordinary but driver needs to pay attention to the road.
Thanks for the warning. I will certainly NOT enjoy the scenery on this ride. I will be concentrate on the road. We have a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee equipped with "offroad tires" with us and were planned to use that Jeep to explore the sceneries at the later time during our 7 days camp at the "Silver Summit RV Park".

Old 06-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
I pass and give you a [emoji106] for that. Obviously, you are still alive to tell the story.
But it is a beautiful area plus the stream train ride is fantastic!
Old 06-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #48

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Learn more how to use the Tow Haul Mode going down hills and save your brakes.
I could kiss you for posting this! I am the driver in our family and the very first time we did some serious hills I overheated the brakes and now the squeak after a lot of use. I wish I had known this before that drive.
JuleyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
The stretch from Silverton to Ouray is where the real challenge lies. ...
That is what I thought, and NO, I WILL NOT GO THERE WITH MY 37 Footer. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #50

We drove from Durango to Silverton in an SUV. I'm not sure I would take my RV there. Good road, just rather steep and twisty in places. There are areas to pull over though.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuleyT View Post
I could kiss you for posting this! I am the driver in our family and the very first time we did some serious hills I overheated the brakes and now the squeak after a lot of use. I wish I had known this before that drive.
Ha ha ha... When Iggy said, people are listening... So do I!

Thank Iggy!

Old 06-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
But it is a beautiful area plus the stream train ride is fantastic!
Yes, after we settled at the Silver Summit RV Park, we will take the Jeep for sightseen during my 7 days stay there.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #53

I spent a month in Silverton last year. I would not tow the car through those passes. Many of the switchback curves are going to be tough enough. Remember there still can be snow on the road and you are required to have chains for your unit. I just returned last week from Durango (1 hour south) and chose to take 25 south in Colorado to NM then across and back up. It added 2 hours to the trip but it added a day to my life and worries. On my trip last year 3 RV's lost breaks and 2 went off the mountain. It is a nice area, very back woods the abandoned gold mines are cool.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #54

Lots of awesome trails around Silverton. I hear Cinnamon pass was cleared last week. Others should be following soon. You will have a blast with the wheeling there. I'll be up in July, and I will be going through to Ouray, but I've done it a few times already and I'm comfortable with the drive.

Here is a link for road conditions in the San Juans:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanju...fsbdev3_002300
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #55

Well, people have done it, haven't they! Consider this though: You are negotiating a hairpin and you started your turn just a tad bit late and can't make it without backing up a bit. Can't back up with a tow vehicle behind you without disconnecting it first. How you going to disconnect it safely on that slope? Not considering the mad-ass people who are blocked behind and ahead of you. Maybe okay, Durango to Silverton, but not Ouray to Silverton.

Technically though, unless you go Ouray to Silverton or vice versa, you actually have not driven the "Million Dollar Highway". Otto Mears, The Pathfinder of the San Juan, built this portion only and later it only became known as the Million Dollar Highway. Now the tourism people call the whole thing, Ouray to Durango, The Million Dollar Highway, probably, but it really isn't.

Anybody driven a Class A with tow vehicle over Independence Pass?
ishwashgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyShope View Post
... It is a nice area, very backwoods the abandoned gold mines are cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
Lots of awesome trails around Silverton. I hear Cinnamon pass was cleared last week. Others should be following soon. You will have a blast with the wheeling there. I'll be up in July, and I will be going through to Ouray, but I've done it a few times already and I'm comfortable with the drive.

Here is a link for road conditions in the San Juans:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanju...fsbdev3_002300
I have never been in the Silverton area before but have heard a lot of nice thing about it, that is why the DW and I decided to go up there and spend a week on roaming the area. It will be awesome!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #57

We stayed in a KOA in Durango and explored the area in a 4x4 SUV. Very picturesque!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #58

We just left the area. The weather is gorgeous and the roads good. Also watch out for the crazy drivers. Whether in rig or car, we found the Colorado drivers to be some of the most impatient and aggressive drivers we've encountered anywhere.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #59

You haven't been to Eastern Pa or Jersey yet!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #60

38 ft Georgie Boy/Georgetown/towing and make this drive (US550) between Montrose/Durango, Durango/Montrose every other year (since 2002). Take our time/no issues. To hot in Texas July/August.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown