Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Georgetowns before LED ceilings lights

Not counting the newer Georgetown units out there....is there anyone with the models which have incandescent ceiling lights in the living/kitchen areas, that installed a dimmer switch?

We find we hardly ever use these ceiling lights unless we’re looking for someone’s contact lens because they’re just TOO bright.

Is there a suggested dimmer switch to nicely replace the OEM rocker switch?

Thanks

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #2

I switched out the overhead lights with LED in my GT378 and installed one of these for the lights (incandescent) over the couch. I'm not sure if this can handle the total amperage of the overhead lights. Google "rv dimmer switch".
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #3

We changed the bulbs out to LED then put in a dimmer switch. Works great. Our old bulbs burned out so quickly, was a constant pain in the backside. Changed out all the bulbs in the whole coach. Over the sink I put in a strip of LED under cabinet lights had to make my own but was worth the effort.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

I thought most LED lights couldn’t be dimmed. Kinda why I posted the question with my OEM incandescent bulbs still in place.....I’ve change out just about all the other lights to LED.

Are different LED lights listed as being capable of dimming? Any lumen rating suggestions? Cool or warm rating suggested?

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 03-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I thought most LED lights couldn’t be dimmed. Kinda why I posted the question with my OEM incandescent bulbs still in place.....I’ve change out just about all the other lights to LED.

Are different LED lights listed as being capable of dimming? Any lumen rating suggestions? Cool or warm rating suggested?

There are dimmable LED’s available. Bought mine at Home Depot. Pricey little critters. They plug in to the standard halogen sockets. As for lumen, we went for the brightest we could find, which are still dimmer than the old halogen bulbs but bright enough to do the job. I did this about 6 years ago and really can’t remember the specs on the bulbs. The real pricey part was a 12 volt dimmer switch, was about $40.00. With the halogens we were replacing bulbs, at $4.50 per on a weekly basis. Since the change out we have not had a failure on anything so I assume we are saving money and no worry about the heat buildup of halogens.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #6

Your switch looks like it could replace the dual switch in our 2011 that controls the 5 ceiling lights and the one light over the recliner chair. Wife did not like the LED's I bought so went back to incandescent. Lost all five ceiling lights at the same time. Only had 3 replacements so two LED's now in the galley area. (Hiding the rolling pin!!)
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #7

For your new LEDs:

3000 Kelvin is daylight / bright-white

2700 Kelvin is "warm" light
Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

BobHanke....
Yeah....we have the same problem as you. The dimmer unit switch shown by bubbles, would take up the space for our two switches.....the main ceiling lights (5) and the single light over a studio chair. I’d have to do some significant detailed cutting of the wooden underside of cabinets to install the dimmer switch shown where my existing switches are and cut out a new one for the existing brown switch for the studio light.

McCormickJim.....

Thanks for the Kelvin breakdown.

Ken and Terry
Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #9

I would like to add a little info here one these types of switches/dimmers for LEDs. They all need a separate gound wire to add a neutral source. They are not a simple potentiometer. (2 wires)
You can buy PWM (for LEDs) controls on eBay for $4.00 but they are not custom made for wall mount.
Hope this helps.

Tags
georgetown, led, light