Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2022, 10:03 AM   #1

GFCI plugs & microwave have no power

I have a 2020 Georgetown GT7 model 36K7. This morning my wife was using the plug over the kitchen sink making coffee and the other plug was utilizing the toaster all while the microwave was running too. Needless to say they all shut off and I was abruptly awakened 🙄. The entire right side of the RV GFCI plugs as well as the rear bathroom have no power but the left side does 🤷🏼*♂️. The GFCI switch in the rear bathroom won’t allow me to pop it/test. I pulled the panel off in the bedroom and there is a circuit break that has a 20 amp and 15 amp for GFCI & Mircrowave. It was tripped but I flipped it anyway and still no power. I’ve check fuses that I’m aware of and all are in tact. I’ve even gone so far as to shut off 50 amp shore power, wait 5 minutes as well as flipped the main circuit breaker 50 amp in the bedroom. Turned shower power back on, turned main circuit back on and still no power. If anyone has had a similar experience or has some solutions please let me know because you know what they say “Happy wife, happy life!!”
Bill5968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill5968 View Post
I have a 2020 Georgetown GT7 model 36K7. This morning my wife was using the plug over the kitchen sink making coffee and the other plug was utilizing the toaster all while the microwave was running too. Needless to say they all shut off and I was abruptly awakened ��. The entire right side of the RV GFCI plugs as well as the rear bathroom have no power but the left side does ����*♂️. The GFCI switch in the rear bathroom won’t allow me to pop it/test. I pulled the panel off in the bedroom and there is a circuit break that has a 20 amp and 15 amp for GFCI & Mircrowave. It was tripped but I flipped it anyway and still no power. I’ve check fuses that I’m aware of and all are in tact. I’ve even gone so far as to shut off 50 amp shore power, wait 5 minutes as well as flipped the main circuit breaker 50 amp in the bedroom. Turned shower power back on, turned main circuit back on and still no power. If anyone has had a similar experience or has some solutions please let me know because you know what they say “Happy wife, happy life!!”
Can you clarify what is in red above. Do you mean the GFCI won't reset?

Do you mean to say both (plural as in two) the circuit breakers weren't tripped instead of "it was tripped"?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:38 AM   #3

So the rear bathroom GFCI plug is the only one I can find that has a test button. But when I go to press test it will not pop as it appears to be already popped and won’t reset. As for the circuit breaker it wasn’t tripped but I cycled the switch anyway as I’ve read some circuit breakers in RV don’t trip.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:50 AM   #4

Bill, having just completed a major remodel, I found out just how cheap and poorly connected the outlets are in an RV. I would start by making sure you didn't fry the breaker. You were putting quite the draw on that breaker. Next I would begin removing the outlets on the dead circuit until you find the one burned on the back side connection.
They make the connections by pushing the unbared wires into a knife prong on the back side (at least that is what was in our XLR). I replaced ALL of our outlets with house type plugs and wired the connections to the screws on the side
Scott Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #5

When our Microwave and GFI outlets quit working it was the 50 amp breaker in the campground. It looked fine and reset, however it had lost one of the power legs internally.
JBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #6

I’ll take a look thx
Old 05-04-2022, 11:10 AM   #7

I’ll have the camp grounds test it. How would it read if it lost a leg as my Inverter shows I’ve got 5-0 amp power coming in. Would it still read that if it lost a leg?
Old 05-04-2022, 11:25 AM   #8

GFI

Hello, I've run into a couple of the GFI reset buttons needing to pushed pretty far in before they reset. Hope this helps
JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePK View Post
Hello, I've run into a couple of the GFI reset buttons needing to pushed pretty far in before they reset. Hope this helps
Thanks tried that and yeah it’s not that.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:06 PM   #10

Quote:
I’ll have the camp grounds test it. How would it read if it lost a leg as my Inverter shows I’ve got 5-0 amp power coming in. Would it still read that if it lost a leg?
They tested and it’s not them unfortunately
Old 05-04-2022, 12:19 PM   #11
NXR

You cannot reset a GFCI outlet if there is no power to the outlet.

I do not understand this:

Quote:
I pulled the panel off in the bedroom and there is a circuit break that has a 20 amp and 15 amp for GFCI & Mircrowave. It was tripped but I flipped it anyway

If a breaker is tripped, the handle is sitting in the middle. You must move the handle to OFF, the only direction it will move and stay, and then flip the handle the other way to reset the breaker.

Go find your inverter and check the breaker on it. I think the GT7 runs almost all outlets through it. Some people have had the breaker on the inverter itself trip and kill the outlets.

Ray
Old 05-04-2022, 12:20 PM   #12

Update

So I pulled the plug at the site of the crime and there doesn’t appear to be anything out of the ordinary with it, not fried or charred any where. Also pulled the GFCI plug that had the test button and it appears normal too accept for the fact that the test button won’t reset. I haven’t pulled the breaker, but at this point I’m getting close to exceeding my knowledge level. Will there be a noticeable appearance in the circuit breaker such as maybe where it arced or will have charring?
Old 05-04-2022, 12:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
You cannot reset a GFCI outlet if there is no power to the outlet.

I do not understand this:

If a breaker is tripped, the handle is sitting in the middle. You must move the handle to OFF, the only direction it will move and stay, and then flip the handle the other way to reset the breaker.

Go find your inverter and check the breaker on it. I think the GT7 runs almost all outlets through it. Some people have had the breaker on the inverter itself trip and kill the outlets.

Ray
I read that somewhere but I’m not sure where the put the inverter. Any ideas?
Old 05-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #14
Site Team

If you do not have power to the GFCI outlet, it will not reset. The fact that you can not reset it, seems to indicate it does not have power. Try turning all breakers off and on again in the main distribution panel. Ignore fuses as they are 12V only. The connections to the outlets in RVs are marginal at best ( usually punch downs) under heavy load ( as you had) it is easy to burn one and kill everything down stream. If all else fails, you may need to pull non working outlets starting closest to the breaker panel and work you way outward. Be sure to shut off power at the Pedestal and unplug for safety reasons.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Also wouldn’t my inverter control panel indicate a tripped breaker somewhere?
Old 05-04-2022, 12:37 PM   #16
D W

Quote:
Amps are current flow, not power. Are you certain that both legs are hot at your main breaker?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you do not have power to the GFCI outlet, it will not reset. The fact that you can not reset it, seems to indicate it does not have power. Try turning all breakers off and on again in the main distribution panel. Ignore fuses as they are 12V only. The connections to the outlets in RVs are marginal at best ( usually punch downs) under heavy load ( as you had) it is easy to burn one and kill everything down stream. If all else fails, you may need to pull non working outlets starting closest to the breaker panel and work you way outward. Be sure to shut off power at the Pedestal and unplug for safety reasons.
I have cycled all breakers including the main with no change. Good tip on the fuses even though I’ve checked them. Only one side of the RV (starboard) isn’t working and that’s possibly because all the GFCI plugs are only on that side. I’m thinking it’s the circuit breaker.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Amps are current flow, not power. Are you certain that both legs are hot at your main breaker?
Yes it was tested.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:58 PM   #19
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill5968
It seems to depend on the floorplan. Ours is in the electrical bay where the cord is. Others have found them behind a panel under the kitchen sink.

Hopefully someone else with a 36K7 can tell you.

You might also want to check the high-current breakers in the house battery compartment, usually the first compartment to the left of the entry door.

Look straight back at the rear wall and if you see one with the flag sticking out, push it back in to reset the breaker.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breaker, flag tripped.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	272631  
Old 05-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #20
D W

Quote:
I have cycled all breakers including the main with no change. Good tip on the fuses even though I’ve checked them. Only one side of the RV (starboard) isn’t working and that’s possibly because all the GFCI plugs are only on that side. I’m thinking it’s the circuit breaker.
Easy enough to check for 120V potential on the output side of the suspect breakers with the breakers in the ON position.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave, no power, power