Old 07-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #1

Gray and Black tank Plumbing

You might find this hard to believe, I have owned my 2015 Georgetown 378xl since 2016 and due to a blocked tank problem, I found out after paying 350.00 dollars that my gray and black tanks are plumbed backwards! Gray handled valve plumbed to black tank with small piping and black handled valve plumbed to gray tank with large piping! Where do I go from here? Major plumbing and tank costs!
Mike9224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike9224 View Post
You might find this hard to believe, I have owned my 2015 Georgetown 378xl since 2016 and due to a blocked tank problem, I found out after paying 350.00 dollars that my gray and black tanks are plumbed backwards! Gray handled valve plumbed to black tank with small piping and black handled valve plumbed to gray tank with large piping! Where do I go from here? Major plumbing and tank costs!
Are you saying the small dump pipe is actually plumbed to the black tank and the large dump pipe is actually plumbed to the gray tank?

Or is it that the gray water systems are internally connected to the black tank and vice versa?

If you've had it this way for four years and this is your first problem I wouldn't do a thing except clear the blockage in the piping. There is no way that should be a major cost.

Which tank is blocked and did they say where and with what?

I am really confused by this statement:

Quote:
Gray handled valve plumbed to black tank...
The only way I could see that condition going undetected for years is if you never used a clear section of sewer piping because the difference in water color is quite obvious. Is that how this was missed?

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer.PNG
Views:	55
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	233964  
Old 07-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #3

I do find this hard to believe since 1000's of GT378's have come off the production line and I would think that the holding tank installs are pretty much routine and how a mishap like this could possibly get by the installers would be amazing. Forget the handle colors but the tubing size is noteworthy. So if you're saying that the tubing (valve) going aft is the 3" and the tubing (valve) going forward is the 2" then that would be reversed for any GT378 I know of.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
So if you're saying that the tubing (valve) going aft is the 3" and the tubing (valve) going forward is the 2" then that would be reversed for any GT378 I know of.
I wonder why the GT5 has the tanks reversed from the GT378. Maybe it's because of the rear bath since that toilet is against the rear wall.

Ray
Old 07-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #5

The only thing that a GT378 floor plan may have in common with a GT5 is the business end.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:

I'm going to assume that you've verified that it's gray ( sinks and shower) water that's being routed to the tank that's being discharged through 3" valve piping and it's black ( toilet) going to the other tank with 2 " discharge. No wonder you have a blockage.
I'd be getting a hold of Forest River River because this sounds to me like they messed up . They should be arranging to make things right
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
That is pretty hard to believe. Someone would have to be extremely incompetent to do that. Did the people who diagnosed the problem offer to do the repairs for you and at what cost?
You need to verify this before you take any action. Tank colors don't necessarily indicate their function and handles can be inadvertently reversed.
Buy a clear attachment as advised and find out if the handles are reversed by emptying and filling tanks. https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-39572...s%2C207&sr=8-1
I'm curious how they determined which plumbing is attached to which pipe and if you can determine that yourself by feeling the water running through the pipes.
Many things cause blockages. If your handles were reversed and you kept the grey (actually black) water valve open when camping, that would be one cause. You probably know the other causes - not using enough water, keeping the valve open when camping, not flushing occasionally, not using black water treatment.....
Let us know what you find (You might want a second opinion before you invest in expensive repairs.) But I agree with NXR, if this is the first problem in 4 years, $350 isn't unusual to unblock the tank and lots of people have had blocked tanks.

Tags
black, black tank, plumbing, tank