Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

GT 328 - Leak in main slide

So we are staying at Huntington Beach Sate Park in SC. It has been raining all day when suddenly water begins dripping through one of the overhead LED lights in the main slide. There was also water leaking onto the floor from the main slide as well.

I plan on calling a dealer to see if they can take a look at it and determine the problem.

Has anyone else experienced the same? My first thought is the issue is with the awning letting water get on the slide out roof.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Make sure your slide is all the way out.
You should just barely be able to get your fingers between the slide trim and the wall, if you have skinny fingers.

I found out the hard way that our bed slide has hydraulic problems, it doesn't open all the way.
Not sure how water gets inside the slide but it does.
After it rests for a few minutes it'll open another couple of inches, sometimes it has to rest a couple of times before it's open.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
New:

X2
Mine was not all the way out and had water in the floor.
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #4

I have a Georgetown 377 , and I found the bedroom slide does not close all the way on the first try. When I wait a minute, it closes the last 1/2 inch or so. When it does not close all the way,I will have a problem.
ron377ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:34 AM   #5

I had a problem like this too. Our puma is only a few years old. Problem was at the roof of the slideout on the front edge where the factory installs the white roof tape to seal the seam. The tape covers screw heads etc. If you see ripples in it, press on those. You will probably squish water out of there. If that is in fact the source of the leak, clean the surface real well and then wipe down with acetone and apply eternabond tape over the top of the old tape and overlap on all edges. A 50 foot roll is about 60 bucks and Amazon sells it. It's better than the tape RV dealers sell. Get the 4 or 5 inch wide tape. Whichever will be wide enough to span and overlap the existing. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
sky5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkulbok View Post
My first thought is the issue is with the awning letting water get on the slide out roof.
Your slide awning is not intended to be a "leak stopper." Your slide roof should not leak whether or not you have a topper. I am sure that slide toppers have saved many a warranty job, which is great for the manufacturer, but not so good for the consumer once water does eventually (and it will) get beneath the topper.

Bruce
Old 11-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
nosaint3

After two years of searching for a leak on my Trilogy slideout, it was finally discovered to be the slideout seal on the outside that was not sealed when installed at the factory. Once sealed leak stopped.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the replies. I finally have an appointment on November 24 to have it looked at.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #9

My 2011 Georgetown 327DS had the same issue, discovered over a year after we bought it new. It turned out that when the slide was assembled, they forgot to remove the protective plastic on the slide roof fiberglass panel. After sealing the trim to the plastic, the plastic was cut off outside of the seal. The topper awning kept rain off of the slide until we had it extended during a very windy rainstorm when the wind blew rain under the topper awning. The rain ran down the roof to the outside edge, went under the plastic and into the slide wall. In our case, it came out from the valence over the dining table window because there was an extra screw hole in the bottom of the cabinet, an easy exit for the water.

Our dealer fixed the problem by resealing the trim to the roof, a simple repair.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide