Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Vince and Charlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Spring Valley OH
Posts: 828
GT 364 Antenna simply disappeared, i.e. gone!

During a recent trip, we had a small water leak near the crank for the TV antenna. When I climbed on the roof to investigate, I discovered the source of the leak...the antenna was completely gone leaving about a six inch cable and two inch stub of the mast! Since it sits down low in between the two plastic AC covers, I doubt if a branch or other object could have ripped it off given there are no scratches on either plastic cover nor even the plastic Fantastic fan cover.
I did hear of one other case but not sure if this is a random failure or a known problem. (Antenna crank simply says "King jack" on it. Nothing specific in GT owners manual.)
Anyone hear of this being a common failure and something my extended warrantee might cover?
__________________
2018 Berkshire 38A
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:03 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 7,154
I read about the other case of this happening also, but yours and the other are the only ones I've ever heard of. Not sure how they are mounted to the mast, so have no idea as to cause. The antenna is not that expensive, in fact I have an extra one that I had for 5er, but went a different way. It's not black though, and not sure how it would mount to stationary mast.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon toad
Nights Camped 2019 - 17
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
chrisbailey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 504
Had not heard of this before except in instances where the user forgot to crank the antenna down after an excursion and it got pulled off by a limb in the upright position. My coach came with this type of antenna

which eliminates the issue.
__________________
2014 Georgetown XL 352QS
2013-2019 Days Camped-502
chrisbailey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 7,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
Had not heard of this before except in instances where the user forgot to crank the antenna down after an excursion and it got pulled off by a limb in the upright position. My coach came with this type of antenna

which eliminates the issue.
The King Jack antenna doesn't raise, but it can be rotated to fine tune, so no chance of it being "left up". Vince, I left you a PM.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon toad
Nights Camped 2019 - 17
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 145
Unhappy Lost Antenna's

I lost 2 of the Jack/King antenna's the plastic is really flimsy so it can catch on just a small twig hanging from a limb and be ripped off with out leaving a mark. I got tired of replacing them and went back to a raisable Winegard razor antenna.
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
RVnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 507
Our antenna has not worked from day one.. No power to it and now I noticed that it wont rotate.. I just free spins.. I think the gear is striped.. Cheap junk
__________________
364 Georgetown 2016
in Montana
RVnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 7,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnut View Post
Our antenna has not worked from day one.. No power to it and now I noticed that it wont rotate.. I just free spins.. I think the gear is striped.. Cheap junk

I don't think there are any gears in them, but are just directly connected to the handle. Have you flipped both switches for the antenna?


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon toad
Nights Camped 2019 - 17
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I don't think there are any gears in them, but are just directly connected to the handle. Have you flipped both switches for the antenna?


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Then why would it fail to turn? You say there are two switches, one is on the antenna, where is the other?
RVCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 7,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCrazy View Post
Then why would it fail to turn? You say there are two switches, one is on the antenna, where is the other?
It most likely has some type of pin or bolt that links the top portion of antenna to the inside handle. Even the units that raise don't have gears that affect turning of the unit, those gears only affect the raising of the antenna. There is a switch on the side of rotating handle and one in the front right overhead cabinet. The switch in front has to be on to supply power to the antenna. I believe the switch on the handle (blue lights) is for signal strength only.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon toad
Nights Camped 2019 - 17
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
RVnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
It most likely has some type of pin or bolt that links the top portion of antenna to the inside handle. Even the units that raise don't have gears that affect turning of the unit, those gears only affect the raising of the antenna. There is a switch on the side of rotating handle and one in the front right overhead cabinet. The switch in front has to be on to supply power to the antenna. I believe the switch on the handle (blue lights) is for signal strength only.
Both switches are in the right position and the on light and signal strength do nothing.. Also can turn nob and look on the roof and the antenna is still in the same position
__________________
364 Georgetown 2016
in Montana
RVnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 7,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnut View Post
Both switches are in the right position and the on light and signal strength do nothing.. Also can turn nob and look on the roof and the antenna is still in the same position
Sounds like it's broke. If the little green light is not on up front, you probably have a fuse blown somewhere.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon toad
Nights Camped 2019 - 17
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
RVnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 507
Ok thank you for the help.. We found the other box in the back and once I turned it on we got green light and the antenna powered up also.. This site is great for help.. I just had to find the right box in the cabinet.. I could see the box that change input had no power wire
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1720.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	115520   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	115521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1722.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	115522  
__________________
364 Georgetown 2016
in Montana
RVnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 7,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnut View Post
Ok thank you for the help.. We found the other box in the back and once I turned it on we got green light and the antenna powered up also.. This site is great for help.. I just had to find the right box in the cabinet.. I could see the box that change input had no power wire

Good to hear!


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon toad
Nights Camped 2019 - 17
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
antenna

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.