Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2021, 07:33 PM   #1

GT XL378 refrigerator mounting

After returning from our 2 month trip out east, we were cleaning the interior of the motorhome and noticed that when the doors are open on the refrigerator, the unit would move perceptively fore and aft. This is while it is empty, didn't notice it when we had it loaded.
It didn't seem readily apparent on how it is mounted in the cabinet. Anyone have thoughts?
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #2

Do you have a residential refrigerator?
My 2013 378 does.
If so I can tell you how it is secured in.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Do you have a residential refrigerator?
My 2013 378 does.
If so I can tell you how it is secured in.
Its a Frigidaire residential.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #4

I'll look for the pics of my setup from Forest River.
I removed the plastic vent piece at the bottom of the refrigerator, then raised the feet/rollers up about. When they are lowered it actually raises the refrigerator up again a piece of wood at the top of the refrigerator.
I will also include a picture of a platform that I made to roll the refrigerator out onto.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
I'll look for the pics of my setup from Forest River.
I removed the plastic vent piece at the bottom of the refrigerator, then raised the feet/rollers up about. When they are lowered it actually raises the refrigerator up again a piece of wood at the top of the refrigerator.
I will also include a picture of a platform that I made to roll the refrigerator out onto.
Here is the screw that I turned counterclockwise to lower the fridge in order to pull the fridge out. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180429_174412.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	255880
Old 06-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #6

Here is the platform with adjustable feet.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Here is the screw that I turned counterclockwise to lower the fridge in order to pull the fridge out. Attachment 255880
That seems straight forward. I take it that it is stabilized by "wedging" it by raising the refer against the wood on top?
Curious why you had to remove yours...
Old 06-02-2021, 07:02 AM   #8

The "wedged" board was not secured enough and came loose and had fallen down, pinched the water line and it had started to leak at that spot. I had to take the doors off of the refrigerator to pull it all the way out in order to get behind the fridge. While I was back there I installed a 12 volt power line in order to put an led light in the pull out plant cabinet.
About a 30 minute job to pull out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
That seems straight forward. I take it that it is stabilized by "wedging" it by raising the refer against the wood on top?
Curious why you had to remove yours...
I would like to add that my refridgerator was also rocking back and forth and had actually tipped out of the cabinet, because of a hard right turn, and fell forward against the wall. Freaked us out.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #9

Quote:
The "wedged" board was not secured enough and came loose and had fallen down, pinched the water line and it had started to leak at that spot. I had to take the doors off of the refrigerator to pull it all the way out in order to get behind the fridge. While I was back there I installed a 12 volt power line in order to put an led light in the pull out plant cabinet.
About a 30 minute job to pull out.

I would like to add that my refridgerator was also rocking back and forth and had actually tipped out of the cabinet, because of a hard right turn, and fell forward against the wall. Freaked us out.
Now that you mention water leak, we noticed that when we ran the water pump, we heard a "clicking" sound in time with the pump, like a water line was taping against the wall. I suspect I will get in there and find no wood block and will end up pulling the fridge.
Not this week though, supposed to be 103+ every day until Sunday!
Old 06-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #10

Ouch, 103. Now that's hot. We haven't even hit 95 and that's unusual for East Texas.
For some reason I cannot post the platform I made to make pulling out the fridge easy. I'll keep trying.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:31 PM   #11

Check this post of what I did to pull the refrigerator. These are my pictures I posted.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=199722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
Now that you mention water leak, we noticed that when we ran the water pump, we heard a "clicking" sound in time with the pump, like a water line was taping against the wall. I suspect I will get in there and find no wood block and will end up pulling the fridge.
Not this week though, supposed to be 103+ every day until Sunday!
Old 06-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Check this post of what I did to pull the refrigerator. These are my pictures I posted.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=199722
Got it, thanks! I'll get out to the coach this weekend and get some measurements for building a platform. I'll probably do it middle of next week when the temps get back into the upper 80's. Thanks for sharing the link, I'll post up what I find.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #13

It's great that you will post what you find. It always helps others. I built my platform from stuff that I had around my workshop.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #14

I finally made it out to the coach this afternoon to take advantage of the drop in outside temp. (It's only 100 today, last week had high's of 114!)
Upon inspection (with a light this time)I found that the board used to wedge the top of the unit was still in place. Removing the lower vent on the fridge I adjusted the two bolts Wrapperman identified and presto, all better! 20 minute fix. Real happy the board was in place, wasn't looking forward to pulling the fridge!
And that friends was the extent of the issues from our east coast roundabout trip of 2 months and 9,400 miles. Got to love it!
Old 06-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #15

Good to hear it was an easy fix. This forum is wonderful and full of ideas and solutions.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Good to hear it was an easy fix. This forum is wonderful and full of ideas and solutions.
Yes it is! It was invaluable to us when we bought ours. That first trip to Yellowstone was memorable! You just don't know, what you don't know!
Old 06-22-2021, 05:25 AM   #17

Good morning Mooney. My wife and I are itching to visit Yellowstone. I hear it is very beautiful, though for us it would be one of those 3 week trips that only come around once a year. Maybe after we both retire we can. We have so many places to experience God's beauty. Happy trails
Bob
Old 06-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #18

Yeah, that would be a bit of a drive from Whitehouse.
We were down your way (sort of) earlier this spring when we did the whole east coast roundabout. It started out with my wife wanting to go to Gettysburg and sorta developed from there. Clovis CA to Carlsbad, San Antonio, New Orleans, Orlando, St Augustine, Williamsburg, Gettysburg, Bar Harbor and Mackinac Island. Then it was just "where do you want to go" from there. Ended up at Custer State park in South Dakota. We were out for two months.
We bought this coach nearly 3 years ago for the express purpose of traveling when I retired. I retired in December, and away we went the end of March! It has been extremely trouble free. (or I tinker with it enough that I head off issues before they develop) We have a lot of birthdays and and what not with grandkids and siblings during the summer so we tend to hang back. However, if Canada opens up, we are off to Banff mid/late September. Actually going with another couple we met in a Flying J while fueling up. They were headed to Albuquerque NM from San Diego, we were headed to Carlsbad. They decided to go to Carlsbad for a couple nights before heading north. It was game on after that!
We truly enjoy the whole RV adventure. Having a reliable coach makes it that much better.
Yellowstone is, well, Yellowstone. You should do it, at least once. The whole Yellowstone Tetons area is spectacular. It does get a bit goofy during tourist season. We tend to go to major destinations during their "shoulder" seasons, seems to help avoid a lot of the hustle and bustle.
Not to take away from Yellowstone, but you may want to look at Rapid City area as well. Custer state park is great for wildlife viewing. Rushmore, Deadwood, the whole area is a lot of fun. Mind you I wouldn't go during Sturgis (bike week) but hit the late summer and take in the buffalo roundup and a chuckwagon dinner ride through Custer state park. Pretty slick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1367.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	558.6 KB
ID:	257565  
Old 06-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #19

We did Cuter State park in 2019 and loved it. We started by going to Granite Falls/ Madison, Minnesota for a high school reunion then over to Custer SD for the first week of August. The bikers were coming in one right after another so I understand what you mean about missing Sturgis week. After that to Estes Park for another week. Beautiful.
Then Eagles Nest NM. Talking about meeting people, on our way home we decided to stay in Eagles Nest, while going into the office we ran into good friends of ours that we know. They go to the same church we go to here in Whitehouse/Tyler. We ended up staying a week there and they showed us so much more than we thought was there. RVing is fun and enjoyable.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:24 PM   #20

Quote:
We did Cuter State park in 2019 and loved it. We started by going to Granite Falls/ Madison, Minnesota for a high school reunion then over to Custer SD for the first week of August. The bikers were coming in one right after another so I understand what you mean about missing Sturgis week. After that to Estes Park for another week. Beautiful.
Then Eagles Nest NM. Talking about meeting people, on our way home we decided to stay in Eagles Nest, while going into the office we ran into good friends of ours that we know. They go to the same church we go to here in Whitehouse/Tyler. We ended up staying a week there and they showed us so much more than we thought was there. RVing is fun and enjoyable.
It is enjoyable. We've been back nearly a month and the first two weeks home we were at a loss because we were not out "exploring" or driving to a new place we had never been too. Now we're itching to get out again! I keep trying to come up with reasons NOT to bring the rig to the house and fiddle.
The TOAD goes into the shop next Tuesday, someone decided to park their lifted truck on the hood) might bring the coach home for a wax job, or maybe "polish" the porcelain flooring, or......

Tags
mount, refrigerator