Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2021, 07:07 PM   #1

GT5 inside electrical GFCI popped.

GFIC in galley popped and wont reset. This controls of the interior recliners , TV's , fireplace and above galley sink that runs off true power ac transfer switch wont power on. Do I need to replace the GFIC or dig deeper.

Thanks
Ken
landyacht pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #2

Did the circuit breaker trip also? If so, reset circuit breaker and then GFCI.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:57 PM   #3

Yes I did reset breaker a few times.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyacht pita View Post
GFIC in galley popped and wont reset. This controls of the interior recliners , TV's , fireplace and above galley sink that runs off true power ac transfer switch wont power on. Do I need to replace the GFIC or dig deeper.

Thanks
Ken
Per your profile you and I have the same year and floorplan. What you wrote is not making a lot of sense to me.

On ours:

- The GFCI outlet above the kitchen sink only has that outlet and the outlet over the shelf to your left on it. Nothing else.

- The interior recliner outlets are on a separate circuit breaker located on the horizontal panel on the foot of the bed. It's labeled GENERAL RECEPTS and that breaker controls all non-GFCI user-accessible outlets.

- The fireplace has its own circuit breaker.

What does "true power ac transfer switch" mean? Are you on generator or on shore power?

Honestly, it sounds like all of the front section outlets in the coach are dead. That normally would include the power to the front air conditioner/heat pump and the microwave.

Do those work? Not the thermostat, the actual roof unit.

If you're on generator power, go pull the cover off the generator and check the two 30-amp circuit breakers on the left side. I'd bet one is tripped.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakers.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	760.4 KB
ID:	266505  
Old 12-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #5

Thanks Ray i totally agree no power at the GFIC over sink but to the left that outlet works. AC roof both front and back work. I was on shore power when this happened! But then again the tv's or fireplace or the recliners have no power.
Before when i powered up and these did not have power , i went below the the auto transfer was off and i push the on button and it powered up now it wont power up. These items I thought are setup to power up on the road . I did reset all breakers .

Ken
Old 12-07-2021, 05:58 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Before when i powered up and these did not have power , i went below the the auto transfer was off and i push the on button and it powered up now it wont power up.
So you took the cover off the transfer switch and manually actuated the ATS?

Quote:
These items I thought are setup to power up on the road . I did reset all breakers.
Did you look over the inverter to assure that it does not have a tripped breaker on it? Or that all of the "flag" breakers inside the first compartment to the left of the entry door do NOT have a flag sticking out (meaning it's tripped)?

On a GT5, only the non-GFCI user-accessible outlets are powered from the inverter. But not the fireplace.

Ray
Old 12-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #7

"True power" probably was an autocorrect for "shore power."

It sort of sounds like you are getting only power on one of the two 50 amp circuits. Go out to the pedestal and turn the breakers off, then back on.

Then go to the power center inside your coach and turn both of the main 50 amp breakers off, then back on.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
"True power" probably was an autocorrect for "shore power."

It sort of sounds like you are getting only power on one of the two 50 amp circuits. Go out to the pedestal and turn the breakers off, then back on.

Then go to the power center inside your coach and turn both of the main 50 amp breakers off, then back on.
Then replace the CB at the pedestal if it works because the pedestal CB is defective. If it's a ganged CB both are supposed to trip if one trips.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:37 AM   #9

I suggest you unplug everything that Is plugged in first. Then reset all of the breakers suspected breakers. Then reset the gfci receptacle. Then plug loads back in and test each one at a time. It might be that the original fault that tripped the gfci is still there and the gfci won’t reset until that fault is no longer present.
Clyde M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyacht pita View Post

Thanks
Ken
Is there power coming to the GFCI in the galley?
GFCI outlets will not reset if there is no power to them.
Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Check for incoming power at the GFCI, if there is power coming in, you 'may' have a faulty GFCI outlet or it is possible there is something on the load side that is connected and tripping. If that GFCI should also control an outside outlet then moisture may have gotten into that outlet causing the GFCI outlet to trip and not reset.

If there is no power coming into the GFCI outlet, you are going to need to look upstream of the outlet as to where power comes from.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=27
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #11
llr

With as many things that are out I am starting to lean to an open neutral issue which may have also damaged some of those items.

Turn off all breakers except the 2 AC breakers. Turn the AC fans on one at a time. If they both work individually it is not an open neutral issue and forget this post. If they only work if both are on it is an open neutral.
prior TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #12

Look before resetting gfi unplug everything down line from it see if it resets if so plug each one in one at a time see if one is causing the problem
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #13

Coming up on 5 days since hearing from OP, wonder how he came out ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical