Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
Member
 
KRMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: DFW area
Posts: 32
GT7 & Truma tankless water heater

We got a GT7 on order for delivery early September.

For current Georgetown owners out there what are your thoughts on the 10 gallon hot water? Is it big enough? Our coach will have 2 adults and will be full time for a year or so.

Also anyone got thoughts on the Truma tankless water heater. I been reading a lot about them with good reviews but is it worth it? The wife does like to take long hot showers
KRMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,538
We've got the 6-gallon water heater. We've spent over four months in the motorhome at a time and never run out of hot water. If someone wants to take a long shower or we take two showers in a row, we'll use the touchscreen to temporarily turn the propane water heater on. The combination of the electric water heater and the propane heater works for us.

I've never timed the electric heater but I know it takes the propane heater about twenty minutes to go from cold water to the propane burner shutting off.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
robo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 718
I have a Truma AquaGo and single handling the best mod or upgrade Ive ever done.
Wife is happy .. Happy Wife Happy life. Noting better than having instant hot water at a very little propane expense. We boondock 90% of the time so it really does conserve the water use. If you have hook ups, well welcome back to 15 min hot showers!
It is a bit pricey, but well worth it. It is a drop in fit no modifications excellent customer service.
__________________
2019 FR3 33DS Motorhome
650 Watts Solar, 400Ah LIFEPO4, 2000 Watt Inverter, 40A DC/DC Charger, SumoSprings, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, BlueOx Trac Bar, Truma AquaGo WH, NVIDIA Shield TV
Days Camping
2019 57:2020 20:2021 20[/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
Member
 
KRMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: DFW area
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
We've got the 6-gallon water heater. We've spent over four months in the motorhome at a time and never run out of hot water. If someone wants to take a long shower or we take two showers in a row, we'll use the touchscreen to temporarily turn the propane water heater on. The combination of the electric water heater and the propane heater works for us.

I've never timed the electric heater but I know it takes the propane heater about twenty minutes to go from cold water to the propane burner shutting off.

Ray
Thanks Ray.. Great info.
__________________
Kevin Riley
2021 Georgetown GT7( on order-delivery September)
BBQ champion, Reef Tank owner, Bee Hive owner, Traveler
KRMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #5
Member
 
KRMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: DFW area
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
I have a Truma AquaGo and single handling the best mod or upgrade Ive ever done.
Wife is happy .. Happy Wife Happy life. Noting better than having instant hot water at a very little propane expense. We boondock 90% of the time so it really does conserve the water use. If you have hook ups, well welcome back to 15 min hot showers!
It is a bit pricey, but well worth it. It is a drop in fit no modifications excellent customer service.
Thanks.. this is the type of info I was hoping to hear. I am with you on the wife happy the world turns right I am not worry about the cost if you get what is advertised. From what I understand is Truma has to install it which I am ok with. I am here in Texas so will have to make road trip in the new coach to get it installed since there is not a dealership around.

Do you know if there is any warranty issue have it replaced?

How long have you add it?

Again thanks for the reply
__________________
Kevin Riley
2021 Georgetown GT7( on order-delivery September)
BBQ champion, Reef Tank owner, Bee Hive owner, Traveler
KRMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #6
Member
 
jvenditte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 58
Our Truma came installed in our motorhome which was purchased new just over three years ago. We recently were having trouble with it. We were getting error codes that indicated a short in our antifreeze unit. I sent an email to Truma from their website asking for assistance in fixing it. They sent me a new controller to replace the old one. No charge for shipping, no charge for the new controller. I was surprised and very impressed. I do not believe I have any extended warranty for it. In fact, no discussions were ever done about a warranty. I just provided them the S/N. and the date of purchase.
jvenditte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
Member
 
KRMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: DFW area
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvenditte View Post
Our Truma came installed in our motorhome which was purchased new just over three years ago. We recently were having trouble with it. We were getting error codes that indicated a short in our antifreeze unit. I sent an email to Truma from their website asking for assistance in fixing it. They sent me a new controller to replace the old one. No charge for shipping, no charge for the new controller. I was surprised and very impressed. I do not believe I have any extended warranty for it. In fact, no discussions were ever done about a warranty. I just provided them the S/N. and the date of purchase.
Wow.. you don't see customer service like that anymore.. I sure wish it was an option to install the Truma coming from the factory
__________________
Kevin Riley
2021 Georgetown GT7( on order-delivery September)
BBQ champion, Reef Tank owner, Bee Hive owner, Traveler
KRMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #8
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
I have a Truma AquaGo ... It is a drop in fit no modifications excellent customer service.
The "not installed by the RV manufacturer" model seems to be this one: https://truma.net/water-systems/truma-aquago-comfort

What does "drop in fit no modifications" mean precisely? What model of water heater did you remove to have the Truma installed?

I had read that the Comfort Plus is the only one that can be used in below-freezing temperatures, but it can only be installed on new RV's. not retrofitted per: https://truma.net/water-systems

Do you have one that can be used in below freezing temps? If so, which one?

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
robo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The "not installed by the RV manufacturer" model seems to be this one: https://truma.net/water-systems/truma-aquago-comfort

What does "drop in fit no modifications" mean precisely? What model of water heater did you remove to have the Truma installed?

I had read that the Comfort Plus is the only one that can be used in below-freezing temperatures, but it can only be installed on new RV's. not retrofitted per: https://truma.net/water-systems

Do you have one that can be used in below freezing temps? If so, which one?

Ray

Sure let me clarify -
My FR3 came with your standard 6 gal Suburban Water Heater I do not remember . the Model#)
Truma AquaGO will fit in the exact opening at the Suburban Water Heater once removed.
For the FR3 it is basically the same fit and size. While I am sure Suburban makes many different sizes the openings for most I think ae the same dimensions, it's the depth that may differ more.

I did not have Truma install it, but I had to go to a Authorized Dealer/Installer.

And yes, if you do plan to travel or reside in cold temps you can replace the standard filter with AquaGo Electric Antifreeze Kit. I don't travel in cold places so I do not have that upgraded filter
.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vv.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	252067  
__________________
2019 FR3 33DS Motorhome
650 Watts Solar, 400Ah LIFEPO4, 2000 Watt Inverter, 40A DC/DC Charger, SumoSprings, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, BlueOx Trac Bar, Truma AquaGo WH, NVIDIA Shield TV
Days Camping
2019 57:2020 20:2021 20[/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #10
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,538
Great, thanks for the quick response. I have the 6-gallon Suburban SW6DE. I saw the "antifreeze" option but thought that literally was antifreeze...

RAy
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #11
Member
 
KRMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: DFW area
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
Sure let me clarify -
My FR3 came with your standard 6 gal Suburban Water Heater I do not remember . the Model#)
Truma AquaGO will fit in the exact opening at the Suburban Water Heater once removed.
For the FR3 it is basically the same fit and size. While I am sure Suburban makes many different sizes the openings for most I think ae the same dimensions, it's the depth that may differ more.

I did not have Truma install it, but I had to go to a Authorized Dealer/Installer.

And yes, if you do plan to travel or reside in cold temps you can replace the standard filter with AquaGo Electric Antifreeze Kit. I don't travel in cold places so I do not have that upgraded filter
.
Thanks for the reply. Are you aware of any issue with voiding warranty from Forest River. I understand there would be no warranty from Forest River on the Truma but does installing a Truma doing something crazy like void all plumbing? Now days you just never know
__________________
Kevin Riley
2021 Georgetown GT7( on order-delivery September)
BBQ champion, Reef Tank owner, Bee Hive owner, Traveler
KRMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:54 PM   #12
Member
 
KRMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: DFW area
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Great, thanks for the quick response. I have the 6-gallon Suburban SW6DE. I saw the "antifreeze" option but thought that literally was antifreeze...

RAy
I thought he same thing about the antifreeze
__________________
Kevin Riley
2021 Georgetown GT7( on order-delivery September)
BBQ champion, Reef Tank owner, Bee Hive owner, Traveler
KRMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #13
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMann View Post
Thanks for the reply. Are you aware of any issue with voiding warranty from Forest River. I understand there would be no warranty from Forest River on the Truma but does installing a Truma doing something crazy like void all plumbing? Now days you just never know
The federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 prohibits a manufacturer from denying warranty coverage because third party parts or equipment was used. The manufacturer would have to prove that the third-party thingy caused the damage that would otherwise be covered in order for the warranty to be denied. The FTC does actively police violations.

I think you'll find that the Georgetown Warranty people are more than fair on issues. Your dealer may be another issue, but FR always came through for us.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #14
Member
 
KRMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: DFW area
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 prohibits a manufacturer from denying warranty coverage because third party parts or equipment was used. The manufacturer would have to prove that the third-party thingy caused the damage that would otherwise be covered in order for the warranty to be denied. The FTC does actively police violations.

I think you'll find that the Georgetown Warranty people are more than fair on issues. Your dealer may be another issue, but FR always came through for us.

Ray
Thanks Ray... Now just got to get that GT7 built
__________________
Kevin Riley
2021 Georgetown GT7( on order-delivery September)
BBQ champion, Reef Tank owner, Bee Hive owner, Traveler
KRMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:58 PM   #15
2018 31L5
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Cooperstown NY
Posts: 50
When I purchased my FR coach I wanted to vent the convectionmicrowave outside. My dealer said any modification to anything in the first year would void the entire warranty.
bobotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #16
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobotty View Post
When I purchased my FR coach I wanted to vent the convection microwave outside. My dealer said any modification to anything in the first year would void the entire warranty.
Your dealer is a liar or incompetent, likely both.

https://apb-law.com/understanding-ma...ket-car-parts/

According to the Magnuson-Moss Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot automatically cancel your warranty just because you’ve installed aftermarket car parts. This is an illegal practice. That said, if your aftermarket part somehow causes or contributes to a failure in your vehicle, the dealer may be able to deny your warranty claim—as long as they can prove the connection. In these cases, the burden of proof is entirely on the dealership.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:23 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
robo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMann View Post
Thanks for the reply. Are you aware of any issue with voiding warranty from Forest River. I understand there would be no warranty from Forest River on the Truma but does installing a Truma doing something crazy like void all plumbing? Now days you just never know
The Warranty on my FR3 was 1 year, I don't know how to answer your question since I did not have any issues. I guess if you do not want to have issues, wait till your Warranty is up with FR, then install the Truma.
__________________
2019 FR3 33DS Motorhome
650 Watts Solar, 400Ah LIFEPO4, 2000 Watt Inverter, 40A DC/DC Charger, SumoSprings, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, BlueOx Trac Bar, Truma AquaGo WH, NVIDIA Shield TV
Days Camping
2019 57:2020 20:2021 20[/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:44 AM   #18
2018 31L5
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Cooperstown NY
Posts: 50
Just like lemon laws dont' apply to RVs I don't think your car quote applies either. Rather than listen to you, if I was going to change water heaters, I would check with Forest River.
bobotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #19
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobotty View Post
Just like lemon laws dont' apply to RVs I don't think your car quote applies either.
Magnuson-Moss applies to all consumer products with a warranty and costing more than five dollars, not just vehicles. Please see the example below from the FTC on vacuum cleaners.

State lemon laws may not apply to RV's but in some states they do. Federal is a different matter as a few recent cases have proved. In fact, a recent case for the owner allowed the owner to rescind their acceptance of the motorhome because it was defective when delivered. The case affirmed that no, the owner did not need to give the motorhome manufacturer multiple attempts to repair it. I think that was against Winnebago. There are chinks in the manufacturer's armor starting to develop.

Here's another aspect: https://rvlemonlaw.com/your-rv-has-i...-legal-issues/

Interestingly, many states—though not Ohio—specifically exclude motorhomes from their lemon law coverage, making it necessary to file a claim under another consumer protection theory, such as the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Quote:
Rather than listen to you, if I was going to change water heaters, I would check with Forest River.
Your advice is good but if FR balks, I'd ask to them to explain how their position is not afoul of the Magnuson-Moss "tie-in sales" prohibition.

This link from the FTC may help: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...l-warranty-law

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren’t allowed. These are provisions that state or imply that a consumer must buy or use an item or service from a particular company to keep their warranty coverage. Here are some examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

“To keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.”

“This limited warranty shall not apply if the warranty seal has been broken, removed, erased, defaced, altered, or is otherwise illegible,” where a device cannot be repaired without such effects.

However, a warrantor can require a consumer to use select items or services if they’re provided free of charge under the warranty or the warrantor receiver a waiver from the FTC. To get a waiver, you must prove to the FTC’s satisfaction that your product won’t work properly without a specified item or service. Contact the warranty staff of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver.

In addition, it is permissible to disclaim warranty coverage for defects or damage caused by the use of parts or service you didn’t provide. Here is an example of a permissible provision in that circumstance:

Necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company. Damage caused to the AudioMundo Stereo System by you or any non-authorized third party, however, may void this warranty.


Yet manufacturers still try and the FTC still smacks them down. From 2018: https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/doc...ng-Letters.pdf

HTH,

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:11 PM   #20
Member
 
KRMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: DFW area
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Magnuson-Moss applies to all consumer products with a warranty and costing more than five dollars, not just vehicles. Please see the example below from the FTC on vacuum cleaners.

State lemon laws may not apply to RV's but in some states they do. Federal is a different matter as a few recent cases have proved. In fact, a recent case for the owner allowed the owner to rescind their acceptance of the motorhome because it was defective when delivered. The case affirmed that no, the owner did not need to give the motorhome manufacturer multiple attempts to repair it. I think that was against Winnebago. There are chinks in the manufacturer's armor starting to develop.

Here's another aspect: https://rvlemonlaw.com/your-rv-has-i...-legal-issues/

Interestingly, many states—though not Ohio—specifically exclude motorhomes from their lemon law coverage, making it necessary to file a claim under another consumer protection theory, such as the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.



Your advice is good but if FR balks, I'd ask to them to explain how their position is not afoul of the Magnuson-Moss "tie-in sales" prohibition.

This link from the FTC may help: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...l-warranty-law

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren’t allowed. These are provisions that state or imply that a consumer must buy or use an item or service from a particular company to keep their warranty coverage. Here are some examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

“To keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.”

“This limited warranty shall not apply if the warranty seal has been broken, removed, erased, defaced, altered, or is otherwise illegible,” where a device cannot be repaired without such effects.

However, a warrantor can require a consumer to use select items or services if they’re provided free of charge under the warranty or the warrantor receiver a waiver from the FTC. To get a waiver, you must prove to the FTC’s satisfaction that your product won’t work properly without a specified item or service. Contact the warranty staff of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver.

In addition, it is permissible to disclaim warranty coverage for defects or damage caused by the use of parts or service you didn’t provide. Here is an example of a permissible provision in that circumstance:

Necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company. Damage caused to the AudioMundo Stereo System by you or any non-authorized third party, however, may void this warranty.


Yet manufacturers still try and the FTC still smacks them down. From 2018: https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/doc...ng-Letters.pdf

HTH,

Ray
Great info Ray.. We are in hurry to lots of great feed back. Thanks
__________________
Kevin Riley
2021 Georgetown GT7( on order-delivery September)
BBQ champion, Reef Tank owner, Bee Hive owner, Traveler
KRMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.