RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
NXR

Has anyone put drain lines or similar on the roof air conditioners?

To channel the condensate water directly to the gutters. Our two AirCommand AC-1511's just dump right on the roof where it causes staining and pools on the roof at the passenger awnings.

If so, how did you do it?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 10-13-2020, 09:31 PM   #2

I just make sure the back driver side is the low point when leveling. It solves it for 99% of my concerns.

I looked at doing this but the drip tray was not conducive to making it work well on mine because it drains on both sides. You could replace the drip tray but it will gather debris. Some have pumps in them that could be used to pump it down the roof vent if you wanted but if you ever had one of these at home you will not like the hastle it will become especially when outside under trees and various debris. It would require a 12 or 120v pump as many home units are 24v.

I see collection as the main problem depending on your ac. Take the shroud off and take a look at what the feasibility is for your ac to know the next move and see if its worth your trouble.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
NXR

Thanks. I tend to keep the passenger side a bit low because of multiple water leaks we've had under the shower. If I see water running into the rear bath from under the driver's side shower I know I have another leak. If I level the motorhome so the driver's side is a bit lower, almost all of my drain and pressurized water lines are on the driver's side so the water leaking will remain hidden until something finally rots away.

Can't win for losing. <sigh>

Ray
Old 10-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Thanks. I tend to keep the passenger side a bit low because of multiple water leaks we've had under the shower. If I see water running into the rear bath from under the driver's side shower I know I have another leak. If I level the motorhome so the driver's side is a bit lower, almost all of my drain and pressurized water lines are on the driver's side so the water leaking will remain hidden until something finally rots away.

Can't win for losing. <sigh>

Ray
Yea my plumbing is all passenger side except for the toilet.

What model AC do you have? We can look at parts diagrams to see how hard it would be. If not you can pull the AC shroud and see what the drain pan looks like. Maybe it will be easy.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
NXR

Dometic AirCommand AC-1511's. I have the manuals so I'll take a look at the parts diagram. Tomorrow. It's bed time here.

Ray
Old 10-14-2020, 02:22 PM   #6

On my old XLR the drip was right on the corner On the door side. I just went up with my dicore and put down a bead on the roof to direct the water to the other side. Worked great.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
On my old XLR the drip was right on the corner On the door side. I just went up with my dicore and put down a bead on the roof to direct the water to the other side. Worked great.
I actually was thinking about doing that. I'd need two to build a small channel on the front air conditioner to direct the water to the gap between the awnings and another channel for the rear air conditioner.

The globs of caulking that the factory left on the roof stick through everything.

Ray
Old 10-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #8

It's kind hard. On ours, at least, the bottom half of the shroud has four 1" holes, one at each corner. And the shroud is contoured so you would have to plug and drain all four of them.

On our Cherokee, the two gutter segments meet in line with the shroud drain so water drips through the gutter and down the side, right down the kitchen window. You notice it every time you use the sink.

I've tried to seal that gap with several kinds of caulk without success. My next try will be using Eternabond.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:51 PM   #9

I was looking at a site showing how to install Eternabond Tape etc. This guy ran some small diameter rope from the AC Drain (hole) to the corner of the roof to the gutter. He cleaned the roof and laid Eternabond over the rope. It made a nice open sided ‘channel’ for the water to follow to the gutter. He had two channels; from the AC to each roof corner. It looked like it would work and pretty affordable too!
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:57 AM   #10
drw

i had the same issue with my Georgetown.
what i did was take a 1/4 plastic tube and caulked to the roof to create a barrier so the water would drain where i wanted to go. Only had to do the front A/C.
I made a loop at the A/C and diagonally ran the tube to the front of the RV to the drip point for the gutter. Have not had any other issues. Just check and recaulk as necessary. Good luck
drw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw View Post
i had the same issue with my Georgetown.
what i did was take a 1/4 plastic tube and caulked to the roof to create a barrier so the water would drain where i wanted to go. Only had to do the front A/C.

I made a loop at the A/C and diagonally ran the tube to the front of the RV to the drip point for the gutter. Have not had any other issues. Just check and recaulk as necessary. Good luck
So effectively you "lassoed" the air conditioner with the tubing so the water always runs to one side? My one concern would be water pooling up in the loop and maybe running into the motorhome but I guess I could put the loop low enough on the roof curvature to stop that.

When we were in Florida it was not uncommon to see three to five inches of water pooled up against that awning rail horizontally. Some sections of that rail were completely under water.

Ray
Old 10-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
drw

No, it is more like a candy cane. Or like an L shape but not as sharp. it only directs the flow after the water leaves the A/C and is running towards the side. I just direct it to the front end so that it comes off at the end of the gutter. Do not loop it around the A/C. that would hold the water like you say. Since I am back home now maybe I can climb on top and add pictures.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
drw

here are some pictures for you. take a look and this may help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2780.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	241438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2781.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	241439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2782.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	241440  
Old 10-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #14
NXR

Thanks! Great minds think alike. I've been thinking this over and it's really a two-fold problem: air conditioning condensate and rain.

Right now I'm thinking that I may just do a very wide inverted V where one end is at the front corner and the other end is at the rear corner. Since the goal is to keep water from pooling at the awnings, an inverted V with the apex maybe one foot or two away from the awning, should gently divert both air conditioning condensate and some of the rain.

It also looks like you filled in that awning rail with extra caulking? I'm doing that as soon as the rain here stops. I already added extra caulking around the screws that secure that rail and I don't see any reason to not add more inside the rail and also along the one edge where the water pools.

Ray
Old 10-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
here are some pictures for you. take a look and this may help
I ended up going with your method. I didn't have any tubing so I took the caulking gun and drew the candy canes freehand with clear silicone.

After an hour I laid a second bead on top to give it a bit more height. It's definitely not as smooth as tubing would be but it's not a lot of water either.

Today I was working inside in 77 degree weather so I turned the front A/C on. Later I noticed water dripping out of the front passenger gutter spout. I took a look and yup, the condensate water was drip-drip-drip out of the A/C and it was running along the silicone wall and into the gutter. Nice.

Thanks for the pictures. They helped a lot with my understanding.

BTW, what is the big black thing just behind the A/C?

Ray
Old 10-25-2020, 07:29 AM   #16
drw

that is the antenna for TV when you do not use cable
Old 10-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #17
NXR

Quote:
that is the antenna for TV when you do not use cable
Now I recognize it. Mine is up front just behind the driver and passenger seats.

Ray
Old 10-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #18

If you do this, make sure to allow access for dropping an anti fungal tablet into the condensate drain pan. If not, and algae gel will form and keep your drain from working. One tablet a season should be enough.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #19

Dometic actually makes a kit that allows a vinyl tube to drain the condensate anywhere downhill that you want to drain the condensate. Airstream drains the condensate This way on their trailers. I don't know if Coleman offers this kit but I have seen it on some RV Parts websites in the past.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, drain, roo, roof