Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #21

This happened to me a few years ago ( you're fortunate enough to get 9 yrs out of it.) The alarm went off for no reason at all and drove our dogs nuts.
I couldn't bring myself to spend $ they were charging for a replacement so I installed a micro switch beside the other switches to control the valve. Purchased/ installed a stand alone propane detector from HD which will alert us to an issue and left the old brown one as a dummy.
Not exactly kosher but has worked . Bugs me that some rv parts are overpriced with no real justifiable reason other than they have us over a barrel
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
This happened to me a few years ago ( you're fortunate enough to get 9 yrs out of it.) The alarm went off for no reason at all and drove our dogs nuts.
I couldn't bring myself to spend $ they were charging for a replacement so I installed a micro switch beside the other switches to control the valve. Purchased/ installed a stand alone propane detector from HD which will alert us to an issue and left the old brown one as a dummy.
Not exactly kosher but has worked . Bugs me that some rv parts are overpriced with no real justifiable reason other than they have us over a barrel
I presently have a switch installed if we need propane until the new one arrives Friday.
I was considering the same thing you did but decided to replace even at the high cost. Just hope it lasts.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #23

The pre ious owner installed a switch by the other door switches. Maybe for the same reason, I don’t know. But it’s nice to tune off the propane from the doorway.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #24

New detector installed with shutoff relay for propane.
Got a white one with the propane relay for $172 on Ebay

Changed to white new cover with my old brown non-working detector cover.
4 screws in back to remove cover.

Also it may take up to 11 minutes for the green Propane light to stop flashing and before is goes solid green. That was in the manual for the initial new install. Normally goes solid green in a minute or two after turning on battery disconnect switch.

All good to go!
Old 08-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #25
Senior Member - Retired

Did you change the electric propane valve or just the detector panel?
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
Did you change the electric propane valve or just the detector panel?
Just changed the detector

I must say the new valve looks a lot stronger than my original one installed in 2012.
The actual coil is much larger in size and that relates to more coils which related to be a strong hold open so the gas can flow.

I and many have mentioned how hot the OEM gets which has been normal for my 10 year ownership.
The new one says that it may get hot which is normal.

Here is the comparison

Original OEM Valve 2012
12VDC
9.5 watts
1.26 amps
65 psi max

New Valve 2020
12VDC
12 watts
1 amp
312 psi Max

The new valve looks like it is much better in many ways
Less amps and higher Max PSI.
I'm sure the drop out/off coil is stronger seeing the actual size of the coil and center shaft.
If the fittings size are the same I may change it out when I get home because it needs threat sealing paste.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200820_162007.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	237106  
Old 08-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #27

I’ll have to look at mine. See if it’s the same as your new one!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I’ll have to look at mine. See if it’s the same as your new one!
The old and new look like the same size inlet and outlet.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
The pre ious owner installed a switch by the other door switches. Maybe for the same reason, I don’t know. But it’s nice to tune off the propane from the doorway.
With the batteries disconnected for storage the LP detector is off (mine is but some units it is not) but to be on shore power while in storage for keeping the batteries charged the batteries have to be connected and of course that will power the LP detector when it's not needed. I pull the fuse for the LP detector while in storage and connected to shore power for batteries charging. Maybe the previous owner installed the switch as a convenience to accomplish the same thing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote