Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

Headlight Problems

So, yesterday we were driving on I-64 traveling west through St. Louis, and I heard/felt something hitting the floorboard under my feet. When my wife heard it and confirmed that I wasn’t crazy, I started looking for an exit that I would be able to use in a 34 foot motorhome. Then it felt like I hit something with the front and rear tires. I quickly looked in the rearview mirror and saw something shiny bouncing across the interstate. Since the knocking on the floorboard stopped, I assumed we lost something. When I was finally able to pull over, the driver’s side headlight assembly was missing! The reflector, glass lens, and beam adjustment mechanism…gone! The only thing left was the bulb hanging from the harness. Nothing hit it, it just fell out from the back of the opening. Evidently the screws holding it in pulled through the fiberglass and it was swinging back and forth on the harness; hence the banging I heard/felt. On our 2014 Georgetown, with less than 2000 miles on it (most of the mileage is from this trip), we literally just have a nice big hole where the headlight used to be. How the heck am I going to get that? I’m fairly certain that no dealer is going to stock an entire headlight assembly and we’re 3 days into a 6 week trip. Of course it the low-beam lamp, not the high-beam. Luckily, we don’t plan on driving at night…I think I’ll contact Forest River and see if they can send it to the RV park we’ll be staying at in Park City. Any other suggestions?
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #2

Definetly contact Forest River tomorrow! They may want you to take it to a dealer to make the repairs, but you won't know that for sure until you give them a call.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #3

I recently hit a deer and lost all 3 of my lights on the passenger side. Took it to an RV repair facility here in Bend, Oregon. They were able to get replacement lights. Assume from FR.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #4

For a minute there I thought you were going to say you were driving through Ferguson. Good Luck on the light assembly sourcing. Bummer!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #5

The headlight assemblies on my 2005 GT are from a 2004 F-150, and the taillights are 2003 Corvette.

Might be a similar situation.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #6

It was common for rv makers to use existing light assemblies. I'm fairly certain the units in the new GTs are proprietary.
LouieL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light