Old 07-31-2020, 05:23 PM   #1

Heating rearview mirors.

Hello out there.
I own a 2011 Georgetown model 378 equiped with heating rearview mirors. Those heating devices are not very often used but when you need them, they are very welcome and useful.
Problem is: for a while now, they're not working anymore. I've checked everything and I find there's no 12V current to the switch. I suspect a blown fuse, but can't find any fuse for that device. I know it's not possible that there's no fuse protecting the system. I wonder where that fuse would be. Any idea?
Then checked both fuse panels and didn't find any blown fuse. Checking the inside fuse panel really sucks due to the akward position you have to put yourself in when crawling in front of the driver seat...
VE2PUI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #2

Check 10 amp fuse #38 SEE Picture

Says its for Heated mirrors and lippert control panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-08-01 145312.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	473.1 KB
ID:	235352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	235353  
Old 08-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #3

Many thanks for the quick answer. I didn't know that fuse 38 was powering the mirors heaters. There's no quote about it in my owner's manual. I checked fuse 38 for power: there's 12 volts juice on both sides of the fuse; so problem is somewhere else. I've tried using a signal tracer to find where the power was coming from or where the power was interrupted without succes.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #4

Signal tracer won't workon DC power.
Next I would suggest checking the ground wires that ar ebundled together and is screwed into the frame.
Her eis a picture of mine.
Drivers side below the horns.

All those wires are grounds bundled together and 1 screw into frame.
Take screw out, clean,with file saandpaper etc and put in new screw.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #5

Is it just the heats part? If so unless you travel in freezing climates, I don't think the majority of RV'ers use the heated mirrors.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #6

OK! I'll check that ground point as soon as the rain stops. I doubt that it's would be the problem cause when I unplug the 4 wires plug at the back of the switch, I have continuity between the gray wire which I assume is the ground for the witness lamp in the switch and a good ground elsewhere in the RV. The 2 pink wires are the 12V power feeding the witness lamp and the heaters. The forth wire which I assume is going directly to the heaters. I also have to check the taped connections between the two pink wires and a tiny red wire which dissapear under the dash. Like I said it is a PITA to crouch in front of the driver seat to check anything under the dash, particularly at 75. Many thanks for the suggestions. Any other ideas you have would be welcomed.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #7

Living in Quebec, the heating rearview mirors are more then ofter required. Particularly when you leave in the morning when the temp is in the lower teens.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE2PUI View Post
OK! I'll check that ground point as soon as the rain stops. I doubt that it's would be the problem cause when I unplug the 4 wires plug at the back of the switch, I have continuity between the gray wire which I assume is the ground for the witness lamp in the switch and a good ground elsewhere in the RV. The 2 pink wires are the 12V power feeding the witness lamp and the heaters. The forth wire which I assume is going directly to the heaters. I also have to check the taped connections between the two pink wires and a tiny red wire which dissapear under the dash. Like I said it is a PITA to crouch in front of the driver seat to check anything under the dash, particularly at 75. Many thanks for the suggestions. Any other ideas you have would be welcomed.
You know you may have a thermostat that won't turn them on until it get below a specific temp. May be inside the mirrors?

I have no idea what to suggest next other than why are you worried about it in the middle of summer?
Old 08-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #9

Cause I prefer to fix it while the temp is in the mid 70 instead of fumbling with that when it's 0 Farenheit which is the temp we get in Quebec when we leave to FL. Anyway, thanks for your ideas.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE2PUI View Post
Living in Quebec, the heating rearview mirors are more then ofter required. Particularly when you leave in the morning when the temp is in the lower teens.
OK, ya I always forget that there are some RVíers rhat live in areas where itís needed whether they like it or not!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating