Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #1

Help! A/C not working -Warranty Advice?

On my 2016 Georgetown 329DS (purchased in August 2016) the front Air Conditioner has stopped blowing cold. It actually was dripping water and shooting ice out of the quick cool dump vent back in January when I last used it, but now no cold air.

It has been cool the last few outings, so I have not used it. I took it to my dealer in January and was told everything was fine with it.

Now I have an upcoming trip and the weather is hot. My dealer can't see me until just a few days before I leave, and they are already telling me they don't keep parts and it would likely take even longer to get it fixed.

Do I have any other options under either the Forest River or the Dometic warranty for faster service?

Can anyone give me advice on what to do to try to get this fixed before we sweat to death on our next vacation?

2016 Georgetown 329DS
shakywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Team

There were some leaking issues with Dometic AC and Dometic extended the warranty. The warranty is from Dometic and not FR so you can take it to any authorized Dometic dealer. You might try another RV repair facility. Many of the issues with RV ACs require replacement of the entire unit.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I don't see where you mentioned the A/C manufacturer but I'm with Flybob... most of the complaints (Dometic) have proved the unit needs replaced.

If it is in fact a Dometic, I would contact them and see if there is an authorized dealer (air conditioning, not R/V) near you that you could take it to and have it checked/replaced.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #4

Sorry...I meant to specify that it is a Dometic unit.

I am contacting Forest River warranty department and Dometic to see if there is anything I can do to speed this up.

Thanks for the advice!

2016 Georgetown 329DS
shakywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #5

I have found that the biggest problem is the RJ11 or RJ12 6P6C 6 Pin Female Coupler Adapter for Joining Cables. The use the adapter to connect the Air Conditioner to the thermostat. My units (2) were working just fine and the next time I turned the on the was just warm air. The adapters are in the unit. You have to get on the roof and remove the cover. Next remove the access cover( about 6 to 8 screws). Look for the telephone wires with the adapter. They are subject to corrosion. I replaced them all in both units and then sealed them with a dielectric silicone. Small tube of dielectric silicone $5 and $1.50 each for the adapters. Time about 30 minutes. Be sure to check the wire end connectors for corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RJ11 Adapter.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	134000  
Semi-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

Our front unit (15K Dometic heat pump) has gone out on us during our current trip, too. Blows, but no heat or cool. When I got to checking, I found the "hidden" paperwork the dealer stuck in a folder that shows Dometic warrants the units for TWO years from date of delivery of your coach, not the standard one year. I spoke with Dometic customer service and they verified it will be covered, including labor to diagnose, remove the current unit and install the new one. They even said if you want to upgrade your unit, you can work with the dealer repairing it to do that. It has to get diagnosed and repaired by an authorized Dometic rep. I'm hitting up CW as soon as we get home in a couple of weeks. You should be under that same warranty. I think I've lost my refrigerant charge, but that means they have to replace the unit (can't be recharged). If you had ice, that would be an indicator of low refrigerant levels, too. Good luck.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
Cutty

Had to replace mine was not covered under warranty becuase we were second owner. Dometic said! Lifetime warranty covered it and put a new one in for us.....
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
RJJ

I was in Florida in January and the front 15k heat pump quit working. I called a mobile tech, who was also an authorized Dometic dealer. He diagnosed loss of refrigerant and said the repair was to actually replace the unit. We were leaving before a new unit could be delivered. Although not he correct repair, he put on a saddle valve and recharged the refrigerant. Cost me about $200 but will get us through our trip that ends next week. Contacted Dometic and although we were about 2 months past warranty, they will send a new unit to a Dometic dealer of my choice. I will have to pay labor to install and the new unit will have no warranty. Since I am already out of warranty, I thought that was fair on Dometic's part.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #9

skip FR

Skip the FR dealer, go to the dometic page and find another source for one of their dealers. The cooling (freon) agent cannot be serviced, if the charge is low the unit is replaced. Not a time consuming or difficult swap once in the service bay.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty