Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #1

Help me choose options on 351DS

Getting ready to order a 2015 GT 351DS. Below are our options. Any options you wish you had or had not purchased?

Any thoughts on the heat strips? Home theater? Dual Pane windows?

Thanks!

2015 Georgetown 351DS Options
13.5 Rear A/C
15.0 Front Roof A/C Ducted instead of 13.5 A/C Unit
Power Drivers Seat
Fantastic Fan (Kitchen)
Euro Recliner instead of Barrel Chair
DVD Players in Bunk House
Midnight Full Body Paint
Auto Transfer Switch
Convection Microwave w/ Oven
Dual Pane Windows
Front Overhead Bunk
Shadow Interior Decor
Stainless Steel Package
Home Theater
Outside TV With AM/FM Radio & Speakers

NOT INSTALLED
A/C Heat strip
2nd A/C Heat strip
Exterior Cargo Tray
Free standing table and chairs
aarong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #2

Dual pane windows are great. In 10 years I had one small one fog up and cost about $250 to fix. I like the reduction in condensation they provide.

Definitely add vent covers to your bath and kitchen vents. Great rain and wind protection.

We don't have heat strips or a fireplace. Certainly would be nice to have at least one of them to use CG electric instead of propane. We do use portable heaters but built in stuff would be nicer.

Do you have 10 gallon WH? If not, that's a neat option.

Congrats on your purchase.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #3

2015 Georgetown 351DS Options
YES - 13.5 Rear A/C
YES - 15.0 Front Roof A/C Ducted instead of 13.5 A/C Unit
YES - Power Drivers Seat
YES - Fantastic Fan (Kitchen)
NO - Euro Recliner instead of Barrel Chair
YES for kids - DVD Players in Bunk House
YES - Midnight Full Body Paint
YES - Auto Transfer Switch
YES - Convection Microwave w/ Oven
YES - Dual Pane Windows
NO - Front Overhead Bunk
Ask wife - Shadow Interior Decor
YES - Stainless Steel Package
NO - Home Theater
Used Seldom - Outside TV With AM/FM Radio & Speakers

NOT INSTALLED
Not needed - A/C Heat strip
Not Needed - 2nd A/C Heat strip
YES - Exterior Cargo Tray
YES - Free standing table and chairs
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #4

We had both AC upgraded to the 15.0, and they work awesome

Love our Euro Chair (we swivel the driver/passenger seats around and then move the Euro chair inbetween for seating.)

Fantastic Fan in kitchen is needed - the vent above the stove vents inside the unit, so the FF pulls it outside. We also had our dealer install the FF and cover in our bathroom because I hated the other fan

The overhead front bunk has been helpful when we had 8 people in the RV, but doesn't get used much. We put extra blankets and sheets in it for storage.

Haven't used the convenction microwave yet, but it's a good option to have.

Stainless package looks very nice, I've actually not seen a unit without that "upgrade"

We did get the home theater, and I think it's worth it, although the components suck, so we'll be replacing them. We can reuse the wires, which was more of my concern.

No outside TV - it was a small TV, and when we've seen other RV's out, they always seem to be in the "wrong" position to use it due to sun glare. If I want an outdoor TV, I'll buy one at costco and run a cord to a table.

Auto transfer switch is almost a "need" with the residential fridge.

LOVE our cargo tray, the basement area is difficult to access on the passenger side (has only a half compartment door, due to the slide) and this prevents us from having to climb into the compartment to get things. However, it can reduce the amount of space available (because you can't pack it full) so it's definately a choice.

We have both heat strips, but I don't like how loud the blowers are (we've only used when trying to sleep) so I have a small tower heater that we use instead.

Freestanding chairs weren't an option, but I like the dinette myself so probably wouldn't have done it.

We did get the DVD's for the bunks, but only because I wanted the plugs there (we don't have any kids, but the nieces and nephews thought the DVD players were the BOMB when they were with us)

We overall love our coach, and have had some good adventures over the past 5 months!

Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #5

Oh, and make sure to get a Progressive Industries surge protector, and have the wire harness for the tow moved to the top - otherwise you are likely to knock it off.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Great advice, thanks so much!!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #7

I have two 13.5 AC's. Rarely use more than one of them. Why would you want a 15? Granted we normally don't to use our RV in +90 degree weather. We stay home where it rarely gets over 90. Sunriver, Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #8

Help me choose options on 351DS

Oh, my husband doesn't handle the heat very well, so it was more preventative when we were in hot locations. The upgrade cost was around $300, so we went with it. A small price to pay for comfort if needed. We've used it in eastern washington and eastern oregon when it was nearing 100 and it worked like a charm. When it's cooler, we usually cool off the bedroom, and then only run the front one, with a tower fan to move the air back. Works good when we only have 30 amp too.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
I have two 13.5 AC's. Rarely use more than one of them. Why would you want a 15? Granted we normally don't to use our RV in +90 degree weather. We stay home where it rarely gets over 90. Sunriver, Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
And I thought I was the only one that had two 13.5s. Was going to go back and upgrade one but the 13.5s have served us fine. In 95 degree heat and no shade they can both keep the coach 74 degrees or lower and at night we usually only run the one in the bedroom. I'm hot natured also and a few degrees cooler would be nice but these will do. I have also found I can run both if needed while connected to a good 30 amp hookup as long as I don't start them both at the same time.
I would rather have the 15's, but again the two 13.5's will do.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #10

Any other thoughts on Euro Chair vs Barrel Chair?

I was thinking Euro Chair because it will allow the front passenger seat to swivel all the way around, where the barrel chair prevents that. But nice to have the barrel chair bolted down with a seat belt.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong View Post
Any other thoughts on Euro Chair vs Barrel Chair?

I was thinking Euro Chair because it will allow the front passenger seat to swivel all the way around, where the barrel chair prevents that. But nice to have the barrel chair bolted down with a seat belt.
That's why we went Euro chair, we didn't need the extra seatbelt space (there are 2 on the couch and 2 at the dinette) and that was plenty for us.

All depends if you need that seatbelt space while driving or not - we felt being able to move the euro chair and swiveling the 2 front chairs was more important.

Personal choice really.

Garren
Old 09-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #12

Thanks for all the advice. Coach is ordered and we will have her in about 8 weeks!
Old 09-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #13

We love the euro chair. MUCH more comfortable than the barrel chair, and like you say you can move it wherever you want it (including outside if you are so inclined). If sound quality is of *any* import to you, absolutely do anything you can to upgrade the sound system. The stock system is absolute, total, complete junk. I mean, seriously, my transistor radio as a kid sounded nearly as good as the stock system they put in the new GT's. Well, maybe that's a stretch, but it's pretty anemic. And, we LOVE the front drop down bunk. It's functional, comfortable, easy to operate, stows out of the way, so glad we got it!
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote