Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #1

Home Theater Speakers

Hi all,

Hope someone out there can answer our question on a 2012 Georgetown 350. We were told that the radio/stereo works only through the front cockpit speakers and that only the TV works through the surround sound (front & mid). Is this in fact the case? Why wouldn't the stereo work on all speakers???

Thanks,
Elaine
3junemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The dash radio probably comes from Ford, or whoever, wired and working. When Forrest River puts the body and stuff on, they aren't cutting in to the factory harness for additional speakers. Also doubt the stereo has the capability to run any extra speakers. One last thing, you can't have 2 radios hooked to one speaker, or set of speakers, as would be the case, even if one radio was turned off. Now if you have a lot of money and time for me to have the coach, I could wire it for you.....
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #3

We have a08 373Ds that works the same way. The factory stereo only plays from the front two cockpit speakers. The issue we have is that when watching a DVD in the bedroom, the surround sound speakers also play in the front living area.
TJRoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

X2 what windrider said. He knows of what he speaks.

Remember, your motorhome is comprised of two parts...........the "motor" part of your rig, and the "home" part of your rig. Neither party has ever met during construction and they each do their own thing!!!!!!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #5

The RCA DVD player that came with our unit also has AM, FM and an available input for an IPOD or other device and is part of the Home Theater speaker system. That's where we play our background music for dining and when we have "company" over. Sounds real good.

And...Are we the only ones that believe that the two speakers FR uses for the dash radio system are just awful? I'm looking for a way to replace them with something decent sounding but can't figure out how to get the old speakers out of the housing they are in. Any ideas?

Thanks
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post

And...Are we the only ones that believe that the two speakers FR uses for the dash radio system are just awful? I'm looking for a way to replace them with something decent sounding but can't figure out how to get the old speakers out of the housing they are in. Any ideas?

Thanks
I replaced my 2 radio speakers.

In my 2009 the black fabric is wrapped around a plywood panel that is glued to the cabinet. You can get it off in one piece by carefully prying a corner up and working it up. There is another panel behind it that the speaker actually mounts in. I ended up destroying that inside one to remove it. I reused the outside one by cutting a larger hole and recovering it with speaker fabric I had onhand. It really is a terrible setup they used.

2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Am I the only one that thinks that Ron should be included on the assembly line for the front radio sound system?????

Beauty work Ron. I'm going to try that mod myself someday when I have the upgraded speakers, the guts and the time to do it right like yourself. What brand details do you have installed? Obviously looks like a good quality 6X9 set, but what power and impedance etc?

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 07-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #8

The speakers were Infinity 6929i's 6x9's. It was a tight fit but they do sound good.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #9

My 2010 337 has lousy speakers up front also, and our main tv does not play through the theater speakers, any one know how to do that one?
DAPYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Dapyes...........

The quality of the standard radio speakers up front has been discussed to excess. Everyone agress something like what Ron has done with his speakers is the answer.

As far as the TV, if the assembly workers did their job right, you should find some wiring connecting the TV to the surround system. Basically there will be leads (possibly white and red) from the TV marked "output" connected to the surround amplifier marked "input" for some device. Then using the "menu" screen from the surround sound system, just make sure you select the correct device source to have the surround system provide the sound. You may find you need to turn up the volume significantly for the surround sound speakers to work to your satisfaction. From the TV menu, I also "turn off" the TV speakers when I prefer the surround speakers.

Hope that answers your problem.

Ken and Terry
Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Lottery Non-Winner

DAPYES,

On mine, I have to put the RCA theater system on AUX 1 in order to put the TV audio through the theater speakers. So I basically use 3 different positions: aux 1 for tv, tuner for stereo, and dvd if I put a disk in. I have yet to mess with a USB stick for MP3s but that's there too if I want to.

Hope that helps.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote