Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater By Pass Relocated

Hi All, has anyone relocated the water heater by pass on a 08 378XL
if so how did you do it and does anyone know if it's even possible?
there has to be a better way of getting to that by pass without laying on the ground.
Thanks.....Joe
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #2

I have a 2010, 330, I relocated the bypass to the compartment next to the water heater, which is where the water tank, pump, etc. is. to do this I opened up the front heater cover so that I could have access to the pipes. Cut the pipes of the bypass and extended and routed them into the compartment. Also moved the fresh water tank drain into the same compartment and added a shut off on the fresh water tank over flow so that it doesn't dump while driving. It was a bit of a mission but I now have all valves for the bypass and everything else within easy access and do not have to crawl under to deal with the heater. That is not a fun thing to have to do especially if you need to re-winterize after a trip south and have to lay on your back in the snow, that's what made me go through the trouble to do it.
georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #3

O K let me ask this question another way.....Can someone explain or show me how to relocate the hot water heater by-pass on a 378xl
2. Has anyone even tried to relocate the by-pass?
I know I can't be the only one who hates to lay on ground to use the w/h by-pass. Any input is better than none. If I figure out how to do it, Ill post it.
Thanks......Joe
Old 05-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

I don't understand your second post Joe.

Seems to me that Georgetown answered your question as to how to relocate the hot water by-pass as you requested. Turns out the location for the by-pass on a 330TS model is most likely located in the same place as your 378XL. You mention not liking to lay on your back to access it, which is most likely up inside an access door underneath the hot water heater.

Are we missing something?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #5

Maybe I am. I'm not sure where the hot water heater is located on a 330 and how difficult it is to access but I do know that a 378 is a lot of trouble. The water pump on a 378 is 3 compartments away from the water heater. In fact as you are looking at the front door and steps the water pump is located to the right side compartment where the propane is located and the water heater is located to the left of the steps, I think without looking at it about 2 compartments down. I was asking if anyone has done this to a 378 or knew how to do it. Some vehicles are easier or harder to access than others.
I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers Ken by assking twice. I just thought that maybe I didn't explain myself well enough and perhaps maybe I still haven't.
However with all that said I do want to thank you for at least reading my post and leaving your comment. I do appreciate all the feed back I can get.
Thanks Again......Joe
Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #6

Sorry about not really knowing where the water heater is located on the 378, but the process to relocate the bypass would be the same, just relocate the valves to a compartment on either side of the heater and mount the valves to the side of that compartment. Heater access in the 378 would be the same as the 330, it's not easy to get to but doable. You need to remove the heater trim plate and then remove the screws from the compartment door underneath, the door then opens upward. more info on how to access the heater can be found in this thread

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ater-4815.html

Then once you have got access, lengthen the pipes and route them into the compartment next to the heater, install the vales and put things back together.

It's a lot of work, but worth it in the end.

hope that helps
Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #7

Georgetown has a good idea of relocating the bypass hot water heater to the next compartment. On the 378, the next compartment is the wheel well. So that option is out of the question. I guess we will have to lay on our backs and switch over the bypass on the 378s. I certainally would not want it in the wheel well.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #8

What's on the other side of the heater, sorry for not being familiar with the compartment layout of the 378.
The other option you could look at is possibly routing the lines across to the other side of the 378 to the compartment directly across from the heater.
Don't know if that would work, like I said not familiar with the layout, just trying to come up with ideas and options that may work.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #9

WOW!!! All those pictures are great. I now know better how this thing is put together. I don't mine the work as long as it is going to make my life easier.
I'll have to look at it closer when I get it apart and see if it makes sense to relocate it or put a door handle on that compartment. While I'm at it I'll look into connecting a electrical heater switch up into the coach.
I'll let you know how it all turns out when I get time to" git er dun "....
Thanks and I hope this help someone besides me......
Joe
Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

No feathers ruffled here Joe, really. I'm by no means an RV expert, and didn't realize the functional compartment layout of your rig is that much different than a 330TS.

With our rig, the water heater and it's bypass valves are in the same compartment, and the pump is in the next compartment. Accessing the bypass valves is done by lying on your back and reaching upwards inside the access port under the heater. Doing what Georgetown suggested is a lot easier when the working parts are in adjacent compartments.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote