Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #1

Hot water power switch relocation

My GT3 has the electric power switch outside as per photo. My wish would to put it in the control panel with the water pump switch. Has anyone done this and if so please advise
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	228195Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1020.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	228196
Old 05-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
Site Team

The switches inside the control panel are 12 volt DC...and that switch on the face of the water heater to the electric heating element is 120 volt AC

Suburban makes a water heater that does have a 12 volt DC switch to control the 120 volt AC element via a relay. It a SWDEL model. It and your model (SWDE) are both explained here, with wiring diagrams.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

What many people do, who want an inside switch to the electric heating element is make a switchable modification to the 120 volt AC power outlet that the water heater is plugged into. Many others, just simply leave the outside switch on, and just use the circuit breaker to the water heater inside the RV's electrical distribution panel as a switch to turn the electric heating element on/off.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #3

Here's a link to a posting where I added an inside 120VAC pilot light switch to my WH - Post #13:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-110742-2.html

Some people have just added a remote control to the 120VAC outlet. If you get one of these, make sure it can handle 15 amps:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westek-1...36LC/305011214

Adding a 12VDC switch in your control panel would require you to not only run 12VDC wiring from the panel to the WH, but you'd also have to add a relay that is actuated by12VDC and closes 120VAC contacts. See below for the wiring for these kinds of heaters.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	L Model 12VDC and 110VAC wiring together.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	228199  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #4

Thank you very much for the reply . I did not think it would be 120 v but you have given me some thoughts on this
Wayne
Old 05-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #5

Thank you very much
Old 05-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #6

I added a remote control outlet to my water heater. I got it from HD and they are sold as Christmas light outlet controls. It was very convenient to install. Unplug the water heater from its outlet, plug in this remote control outlet then plug the water heater into it. There is a key fob remote with an on and off button. No modifications and no wiring to change. I'm on my second year of use and love it. It is rated for 15 amps so there is no problem to use with your water heater.
I bought the set of 3 outlets with a 3 button remote. I use one for the water heater, one for the converter power, and one for all the electronics in the living room (TV, DVD, Roku, cable modem, printer).
Old 05-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #7

Thanks worth considering
Old 05-02-2020, 09:01 PM   #8

What we do.

If the water tank is full the electric switch is on. While traveling no water heating. When parked and plugged in it is on.

On 30 amp sites I go out and turn the switch off to conserve electricity.

We only turn the gas switch on in 30 amp sites and when unplugged.

I think the switch is there to remind you that when the water heater is dry it must be off.

Some trailers have a switch in the panel inside. I sort of do not want one. I like the arrangement you have.

But, you just need to disconnect the two wires to the switch and connect them via two wires to a switch somewhere else. More work than it is worth to me.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #9

The hard way

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
What we do.

If the water tank is full the electric switch is on. While traveling no water heating. When parked and plugged in it is on.

On 30 amp sites I go out and turn the switch off to conserve electricity.

We only turn the gas switch on in 30 amp sites and when unplugged.

I think the switch is there to remind you that when the water heater is dry it must be off.

Some trailers have a switch in the panel inside. I sort of do not want one. I like the arrangement you have.

But, you just need to disconnect the two wires to the switch and connect them via two wires to a switch somewhere else. More work than it is worth to me.
Tom, that's the hard way.
  • You just leave the original switch on
  • On the back side of the water heater you unplug the normal, 3-pin 120Vac plug from the nearby outlet.
  • Then you can do something as simple as plugging it into a computer outlet strip and using the indoor switch on the outlet strip.
  • In a somewhat more elegant fashion, you can mount a junction box and switch+pilot_light with one cord going to the outlet and the other connected to a cord-end receptacle that accepts the water heater plugh.
Your way requires running 14 AWG NM (Romex) cable from the front face of the heater to someplace inside the trailer. This would be very difficult to do safely and well, especially considering all the water flying around near the switch when draining or flushing the heater.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #10

Larry

I assume you are correct. My old bones are too old to clean out the basement(fiver) and crawl in there to even see if the water heater is plugged in or not.

The old extension cord with a switch in it would work.

If I were doing it I would need a matching switch in the control panel. Had to be the right color too!

Jeez, I only use the switch once or twice a year. And I am lazy.

The other Larry
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoddy View Post
My GT3 has the electric power switch outside as per photo. My wish would to put it in the control panel with the water pump switch. Has anyone done this and if so please advise
Attachment 228195Attachment 228196
I am an electrician and would suggest not doing this. My reasoning is that I have made it a habit to activate the pressure release valve on the WH prior to turning on the switch. Reason for this is if for some reason your WH is not full of water you will burn out the element. Sorry to be a worry wart but SAFE IS NOT SORRY.
newcowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
I added a remote control outlet to my water heater. I got it from HD and they are sold as Christmas light outlet controls. It was very convenient to install. Unplug the water heater from its outlet, plug in this remote control outlet then plug the water heater into it. There is a key fob remote with an on and off button. No modifications and no wiring to change. I'm on my second year of use and love it. It is rated for 15 amps so there is no problem to use with your water heater.
I bought the set of 3 outlets with a 3 button remote. I use one for the water heater, one for the converter power, and one for all the electronics in the living room (TV, DVD, Roku, cable modem, printer).

Easy fix! But I would always be worried about "did it really turn off?".
Just me. Technology is never 100%. I would have to add something like rockfordroo did. 3 posts above yours.

Then I am 99% sure

Your mileage may vary.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Easy fix! But I would always be worried about "did it really turn off?".
Just me. Technology is never 100%. I would have to add something like rockfordroo did. 3 posts above yours.

Then I am 99% sure

Your mileage may vary.
I did add a small pilot light next to the water heater switch on the inside control panel. These remote control outlets have two receptacles. The water heater is plugged into one of them and from the other one I ran a lamp cord to a green LED that I mounted on the inside control panel. So when the power is on to the water heater the green LED is on. When the power is off, the LED is off. Also, when the power gets turned off (breaker tripped, shore power unplugged) the outlet stays off. When power gets restored, you have to use the key fob to turn it back on. No way for the heater to be accidentally turned on without you first using the key fob. Fool proof in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #14

I just leave the outside switch on and added a switch off the breaker with a light.
Mounted inside above my 120 volt panel.
Just took the hot from the breaker and ran it thru the switch.
You do need to add a neutral wire so it lights up when on.
I also labelled it better since this picture.

Here is a picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mod Picture 028.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	234644  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, hot water, location, power, switch, water