Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2022, 11:49 AM   #1

Cool House Batteries

I have a 2018 GT5 31R5. I am looking for advice on replacing the two house batteries. The current batteries are original lead acid ones that came with it. I am interested in using an AGM type. I would like info on size, amps ect. Need ones that will be charged by the current charging system. Any advice would be appreciated.
jt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:33 PM   #2

Batteries

Hello, here's a good thread about changing to agm batteries in a similar rv like you own. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-240385.html I ended up going with a group 29 Everstart marine battery from Walmart. We don't boondock that much, but have found these batteries perform really well. Hope this helps
JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #3

All of the info should be on the label on top of the battery. Take that information, make a picture, to any auto parts store or battery store, etc.

They will be able to supply you with the correct size and amp hour rating in the AGM format.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:13 PM   #4

Why throw away good batteries? Wait till they die and then change them out . Mine lasted 7 years.
I keep the MH on charge all the time and check the water level every month. We don't boondock all that much so the house batts hardly get used.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:38 PM   #5

for the price of a AGM upgrade...
you could look at a battery that can store more energy

A TRUE deep cycle ... that can be discharged more. something like a Trojan Motive

True deep cycles are designed not be used for starter motors that require a heavy initial rush of current...

If you want to .. add a automatic watering system
but I don't have a problem in checking the water level ,
I keep a bottle of distilled water in the trailer
Old 10-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy
for the price of a AGM upgrade...
you could look at a battery that can store more energy

A TRUE deep cycle ... that can be discharged more. something like a Trojan Motive

True deep cycles are designed not be used for starter motors that require a heavy initial rush of current...
That was the conundrum I ran into with my Georgetown. Technically the house batteries are for the house but they also start the onboard generator. In a pinch you can press and hold the Battery Boost switch and that connects the house batteries in parallel with the chassis battery to start the motorhome engine, if the chassis battery is dead.

Do I take the chance that two house batteries could always start the generator? Probably they could. But cranking that big old V10? That might be iffy. That's why I went with Dual Purpose batteries again, although AGM this time.

Ray
Old 10-06-2022, 07:25 AM   #7

The cheapest and most storage comes from gc2 batteries. However, they are taller.

AGM are a special battery for vehicles likely to roll over. Planes, boats, atv’s, motorcycles. The big deal with them is no maintenance, checking levels. Also they can go inside a vehicle. No drain needed normally.

However they are more expensive, last about 50% as long, less ability to recover from abuse.

My truck uses them. Almost $600 for a set last week. Gc2’s are about $200.

Got to measure your space carefully.

Now, lithium would be my choice! The DW has discovered Harvest Host. She loves the free camping at a winery or farm. The Moab desert camping! Never thought I would care about sleeping out!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:51 AM   #8

in my boat I have a house battery that won't crank the engine by itself
I can connect it in parallel to the starting battery using the 1-2 -both -Off switch

the house adds some charge to the starting battery .. takes a few minutes but it will then start. As long as the starting battery can accept some charge.

you can do the same on a RV using jumper leads if starting battery is low
be patient and let some charge go into the starting battery
Old 10-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for their input. I had them tested and they are performing as expected so I will hold off.
jt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
in my boat I have a house battery that won't crank the engine by itself
I can connect it in parallel to the starting battery using the 1-2 -both -Off switch

the house adds some charge to the starting battery .. takes a few minutes but it will then start. As long as the starting battery can accept some charge.

you can do the same on a RV using jumper leads if starting battery is low
be patient and let some charge go into the starting battery
It’s worth noting, this being a motorhome RV subforum, and as already mentioned in post #6, that most motorhomes already have a switch/relay that connects the house and chassis batteries together for emergency situations. No need to use jumper leads.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:03 PM   #11

Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Why throw away good batteries? Wait till they die and then change them out . Mine lasted 7 years.
I keep the MH on charge all the time and check the water level every month. We don't boondock all that much so the house batts hardly get used.
Not sure why you check water level monthly? If your charger is a smart - 4 state charger it will not boil the water so there is no water loss?

Jimbo
Jc4ut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries