Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #1

House Battery Life

What is the typical lifespan of a couple of 12 volt house batteries? I realize that usage will have a great affect. My batteries are just over a year old and dealer installed. Most of my usage has been with shore power and little to no dry camping. I have a cutout switch so there is no parasitic trickle drain going on. Minimum every three weeks I take a 30 minute drive to keep everything oiled and charged. So any guesses?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Do you mean how long will they last? Typically, 3 to 5 years. Again it depends on usage, what you expect from them, and how well they are maintained. Have you checked the water in them lately? 30 minutes will not charge them properly, need a good 3 stage charger and at least 3 days plugged in to charge them properly. They need to be used occasionally, so camp one night with just the batteries, but have shore power to recharge them with the next day.

It's kind of like most everything else, "your mileage may vary"
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #3

Battery Life

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I knew that mileage would vary. I have a separate multistage charger I drag along with me just in case but I'm not sure about specifics. What kind of charger is built into our MH? Shouldn't that be a multi....
Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
Site Team

I never expect more than 3 years out of a battery. Your MH has a good multistage charger and should do a wonderful job of maintaining your batteries.

Tags
battery