Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #1

How do you like the new 7.3?

More horsepower and torque yet weíre told better mileage. Anyone care to chime in and tell us how the new engine preforms?

Jimbo
Jc4ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
VAB

I have owned my 2021 GT7 36D7 with the new V8 chassis for a year now and have traveled 8000 miles so far - although I donít have anything to compare it to as this is our first motorhome and I have never driven a V10 chassis I am very happy with the performance and get 8.5 mpg towing a Toyota Corolla on a dolly and 9 mpg without towing anything. It says I have a range of 600 miles when full but I usually fuel up after 350 to 400 miles.
BAH1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #3

Thatís awesome

I was afraid it was going to be 5 mpg. My sunseeker with the v8 gets 10 and I drive 60 mph. Only have 2800 miles but a lot of miles were in the mountains. Hopefully Iíll get 12 as I head west where it is flatter. Thanks so much for the reply. Oh I ordered the 36d7 a month ago.

Jimbo
Old 08-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
VAB

Most of our travels have been down south (flat) with only one trip through West Virginia mountains on the way to Wisconsin, but I didnít notice a huge impact on mpg due to the mountains.
We really like our Georgetown 36D7 I hope you enjoy yours when you finally get it!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	260307
BAH1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #5

Btw is the electrical cord attached inside

The bay or do you plug it into the wall inside the bay? I am ordering a cord reel so I was just curious.

Jimbo
Old 08-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #6
Just Tryin' to Help

LOL
I thought you meant the 7.3 gas Ford f-250/350.
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1050
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:14 PM   #7

We have the Godzilla 7.3 engine in our 2021 Jayco E450 with the 6 speed tranny. We blew a power steering hose and it took 8 days to get a replacement. Seven motel nights. The replacement hose has been redesigned and should not fail again. Otherwise, I am very happy with the 7.3. Our Jayco is 30í and we flat tow a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I seem to be averaging about 9 MPG and we are now in the state of Washington, having driven from NC by way of the upper peninsula of Michigan. We do get a little slow going up the steep mountain passes, but that is to be expected. The tow/haul mode is very helpful when going back down those steep mountain passes.
I would not hesitate to get an RV, or anything else, with the 7.3.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
We have the Godzilla 7.3 engine in our 2021 Jayco E450 with the 6 speed tranny. We blew a power steering hose and it took 8 days to get a replacement. Seven motel nights. The replacement hose has been redesigned and should not fail again. Otherwise, I am very happy with the 7.3. Our Jayco is 30í and we flat tow a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I seem to be averaging about 9 MPG and we are now in the state of Washington, having driven from NC by way of the upper peninsula of Michigan. We do get a little slow going up the steep mountain passes, but that is to be expected. The tow/haul mode is very helpful when going back down those steep mountain passes.
I would not hesitate to get an RV, or anything else, with the 7.3.

I have a 2021 Forster on the E450 and had a power steering line blow off also. You said the replacement hose has been redesigned. Did they happen to say if they had seen this much?
Old 08-04-2021, 05:53 AM   #9

6000 miles on our 21GT7 got it in March. Towing a Cadillac SRX, averaging 7.5mpg. Flat land we have seen 8.5mpg. Overall very satisfied with 7.3 definitely better acceleration to highway speed & tows at 65 to 68 very comfortably.
D&T On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgoes211 View Post
I have a 2021 Forster on the E450 and had a power steering line blow off also. You said the replacement hose has been redesigned. Did they happen to say if they had seen this much?

Yes, it happens often. The Ford dealer told me over the phone before I got towed there that his bet was the hose. He then said that that is bad news as that hose was on back order and there were none available anywhere in the USA. He had three vehicles waiting on that hose and one had been waiting for more than two weeks. When they got the vehicle and looked, sure enough the hose was ruptured. But, when he ordered the replacement the order confirmation said the hose would be delivered the following Tuesday, and this was Friday. He was suspicious of that. I called a friend at Ford and after a little research he called me back and said that is in stock and readily available. I guess the ship arrived from China? Anyway, the hose arrived on Thursday and we were repaired and on the road Friday noon. Dodge a bullet there.

Question. My E450 does a couple of strange things. After about 4 hours of towing, I get an error code stating to service the traction control system. Not a big deal except it cancels the cruise control and it will not come back on.

Also, within the past few days I get another error code that a tire pressure sensor has failed. The display shows no reading for the tire, but it is fully inflated.

After the engine is turned off for perhaps an hour everything is back to normal.

Have experienced either of these?

Old 08-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes, it happens often. The Ford dealer told me over the phone before I got towed there that his bet was the hose. He then said that that is bad news as that hose was on back order and there were none available anywhere in the USA. He had three vehicles waiting on that hose and one had been waiting for more than two weeks. When they got the vehicle and looked, sure enough the hose was ruptured. But, when he ordered the replacement the order confirmation said the hose would be delivered the following Tuesday, and this was Friday. He was suspicious of that. I called a friend at Ford and after a little research he called me back and said that is in stock and readily available. I guess the ship arrived from China? Anyway, the hose arrived on Thursday and we were repaired and on the road Friday noon. Dodge a bullet there.

Question. My E450 does a couple of strange things. After about 4 hours of towing, I get an error code stating to service the traction control system. Not a big deal except it cancels the cruise control and it will not come back on.

Also, within the past few days I get another error code that a tire pressure sensor has failed. The display shows no reading for the tire, but it is fully inflated.

After the engine is turned off for perhaps an hour everything is back to normal.

Have experienced either of these?

Ahhhhh ok. My hose didnít rupture. It just plain ole popped off the inlet to the the power brake assist. I could see it hanging there plain as day. Lol

As for the other issues you mention Iíve never seen the tire pressure issue but I have seen the service advance trac once. Ironically the first day I picked it up in March but havenít seen it since. Iíve heard they have a fix for it but you have to take it in to have it reprogrammed. Iíll see if I can dig up the details.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgoes211 View Post
Ahhhhh ok. My hose didnít rupture. It just plain ole popped off the inlet to the the power brake assist. I could see it hanging there plain as day. Lol

As for the other issues you mention Iíve never seen the tire pressure issue but I have seen the service advance trac once. Ironically the first day I picked it up in March but havenít seen it since. Iíve heard they have a fix for it but you have to take it in to have it reprogrammed. Iíll see if I can dig up the details.

Thanks. I would be very interested about a fix. We are on a 4.5 month road trip and taking this thing to a Ford dealer is not an easy task. And having it stay there overnight is a big problem.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks. I would be very interested about a fix. We are on a 4.5 month road trip and taking this thing to a Ford dealer is not an easy task. And having it stay there overnight is a big problem.

Try this link. Not sure there is a fix yet. Let me know what you find out. They did some updates while mine was in the shop for the other recall so maybe it fixed mine. Like I said I have only seen it once.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...83393-0001.pdf
Old 08-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #14

Thank you. Iíll work on this.