Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2022, 01:52 PM   #1
NXR

How to replace the Precision Plex touchscreen battery

Recently people with 2019.5 and 2020.x Georgetowns that have the Precision Plex touchscreen system have reported that their touchscreen would not turn on. They contacted Precision Plex and were told to replace a small CR1025 battery on the back of the touchscreen. Alternately, they could temporarily remove the battery entirely to get the touchscreen working until a new battery could be found. (I was unable to locate a CR1025 locally so I had to order a pack from Amazon.)

Since our 2020 GT5 was built in the first half of 2019 I decided to replace mine today. When I removed the old battery it measured at 3.0 volts so it was very close to dead. The new CR1025 measured at 3.3 volts.

How to replace that battery:
  • Look closely at each corner piece of the touchscreen. You will see a very small slot on each side of the corner pieces. Insert a thin screwdriver and pry each corner piece off.

• Behind each corner piece is a square-headed Robertson screw. Remove each screw and the touchscreen will literally fall into your hand. Be ready to catch it.

• BE VERY CAUTIOUS TO AVOID STATIC ELECTRICITY CHARGES WHEN HANDLING THE TOUCHSCREEN. ONLY HANDLE THE CIRCUIT BOARDS FROM THEIR EDGES IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

• On ours, there is a single data cable plugged in near the top of the touchscreen but there are two jacks. Take a picture of where your data cable is plugged in and remove the data cable.

• On ours, the CR1025 "button battery" sits underneath another circuit board. Please see the red arrows on the attached pictures.

• Remove the four small Phillips head screws and lift the top circuit board off. Place it on something hard. I did the work on the kitchen counter to avoid static electricity. There is one rectangular connector holding the top board to the bottom board. The top board should pull off easily.

• The small CR1025 battery simply gets pushed out the top of its holder on the circuit board. I used a plastic pen to slide it out.

• Slide the replacement battery into the holder. The lettering (+) was facing up on ours. Be certain the new battery is fully inserted into the holder.

• Place the small circuit board back in place, being certain to line up the two rectangular connectors. DO NOT force anything.

• Install the four small Phillips head screws to secure the top circuit board in place.

• Plug the data cable back into the touchscreen into the same jack where it was removed. After a few seconds you should see the touchscreen start to boot up.

• Set the touchscreen in place, install the four corner screws, and press the four corner pieces back in place.
You should be good for another three years or so again.

As an aside, behind the touchscreen on our 34H5 there is a real rat's nest of wiring. One thing in that area is the TV splitter, the splitter that feeds all three TV's. Take this opportunity to assure the cables are screwed tightly into the splitter if you have a 34H5. I had one cable that was really loose although we had no TV issues yet.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Touchscreen Mounting Screws.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	280746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Touchscreen Battery and Data Cable Location.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	280747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Touchscreen Battery Location.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	280748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Touchscreen Data Cable Location - 1.PNG
Views:	55
Size:	823.3 KB
ID:	280749  
Old 10-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #2

Ray did

Ray did you turn off shore power ( or use battery disconnect switch) if not on shore power? Don’t think I read that mentioned anywhere?
I’m thinking no because right after you installed the battery you say you plugged in the data cable and it powered up,
Guessing the data cable also supplied power?

Jimbo
Jc4ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:55 PM   #3
NXR

No, when I had the touchscreen lock up once Precision Circuits said I could just unplug the data cable and plug it back in. Yes, apparently the power comes in through the same cable because it's the only wiring.

Ray
Old 10-23-2022, 03:59 PM   #4

Awesome thanks for the prompt reply?

Know anything about battery control center part?
Wondering if it going bad will get worse and quit altogether?

Jimbo
Jc4ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 04:34 PM   #5

You have a different printed board that I have on our 2019. My battery is not "hidden" under a removable circuit board. As said in the other post, replaced the battery and the screen is still dark.
RVI Tire Monitors
RVI Aux Brake
pojoGTH5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 04:59 PM   #6
NXR

Time to call them. My old pics did not show the second circuit board either. But I realized that Precision Circuits did not have their system programmed correctly for the Georgetown's Tank Heater function with the PD9270 converter. The touchscreen was replaced under warranty to get the updated programming. Maybe that's the difference.

Ray
Old 10-23-2022, 05:45 PM   #7

I don't think our unit has a tank heater.
RVI Tire Monitors
RVI Aux Brake
Old 10-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojoGTH5
I don't think our unit has a tank heater.
It does. Your 2019.5 GT5 is essentially identical to our 2020.0 GT5.

When you get the touchscreen working, press the Water Drop (Utilities) icon and the bottom icon on the left is Tank Heater. (The top one is the Water Pump and the middle one is the propane Water Heater.)

Ray
Old 10-24-2022, 09:04 AM   #9

On my phone the tank heater icon is not shown.
RVI Tire Monitors
RVI Aux Brake
Old 10-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #10
NXR

Quote:
On my phone the tank heater icon is not shown.
Not on ours either. The phone app provides a limited subset of functions. That's one of the ones that is missing from the app. The generator section is missing a lot of features present on the touchscreen as well.

Ray
Old 10-24-2022, 06:30 PM   #11

Well with a blank screen I'll never know. I sent videos of the blank screen to PC. Don't know what they will do or if it is under warranty. I purchased an extended warranty with the motorhome, but I don't know if this part is covered. One thing for sure, you should be very glad you did not purchase this motorhome from RCD when you were looking.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:48 PM   #12

Received new screen from Precision. Everything bright again on screen. BTW, I do have a tank heater icon on the screen, but it says it's disabled. What does that mean?
RVI Tire Monitors
RVI Aux Brake
Old 11-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #13
NXR

Angry

Quote:
Received new screen from Precision. Everything bright again on screen. BTW, I do have a tank heater icon on the screen, but it says it's disabled. What does that mean?
Did they charge you for it?

"Disabled" is a button. Tap it.

Their software monitors the 12 volt system voltage. In their original version the voltage had to be 0.1 volts higher than the converter put out in Storage mode. So once the converter switched to Storage mode after 34 hours of shore power the Tank Heater function changed automatically to Disabled. If the voltage climbed then they would turn themselves back on (assuming you in fact had first turned them on).

They revised their programming after I found that glitch. They were great to work with. They explained they monitor the voltage to help assure that the Tank Heaters cannot kill the house batteries but no one ever caught that issue during testing.

Ray

Tags
battery