Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 06:14 AM   #1

How to Tighten the Pipe at the Faucet Device

We have a 364TS. I discovered a slow leak in the middle bath under the sink where the hot water line connects to the faucet. How the hell do you tighten those connections? What tool do I need to go buy?

This trip has been about water issues.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:29 AM   #2

Basin wrench

Bruce
Old 07-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Be careful tightening. If the faucet is not metal or the or the connector on the end of the water line is plastic a tool may crack it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Be careful tightening. If the faucet is not metal or the or the connector on the end of the water line is plastic a tool may crack it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6731.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	233069

I should’ve had greater clarity in my comments. Attached is the image at the elbow and I’m not sure how you tighten the sort of clamp.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #5

Is there a separate shut off for this area?
Old 07-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
FLY4FUN

If the leak is at the pinch clamp there's probably nothing you can do to tighten & stop it. It's prob time for a re-do with a new section of PEX, new faucet connector, new elbow & proper PEX type clamps installed with proper PEX friendly tools. PEX stuff works well without leaks 97.3% of the time...when it doesn't it's a pain .
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:05 AM   #7

Have you tried re-pinching the clamp? Try a pair of end cutters or pop for a pair of oetiker clamp pliers. They re under $20 . Eventually you'll need them. All those fittings depend on a cone washer for the seal. They are not pipe threads. If the cone washer is the problem get a new one. I found what I needed at Menards in plumbing section little bin drawers as 11/32 x 3/8 slip joint washer, stk # 38805B, made by Danco inc. Worked for me. Keep a spare JIC!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #8

When a pex joint is leaking, about all you can do is cut out the joint and redo it.
I do this with Sharkbite push to connect fittings. Much easier than using pex band clamps. Sometimes I have to add in extra tubing when there is not enough slack.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Have you tried re-pinching the clamp? Try a pair of end cutters or pop for a pair of oetiker clamp pliers. They re under $20 . Eventually you'll need them. All those fittings depend on a cone washer for the seal. They are not pipe threads. If the cone washer is the problem get a new one. I found what I needed at Menards in plumbing section little bin drawers as 11/32 x 3/8 slip joint washer, stk # 38805B, made by Danco inc. Worked for me. Keep a spare JIC!

Totally makes sense. Sometimes I think I have more tools on this rig that I have at home. So why not spring for something else. I’m up for the adventure. Thank you for the input
Old 07-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
When a pex joint is leaking, about all you can do is cut out the joint and redo it.
I do this with Sharkbite push to connect fittings. Much easier than using pex band clamps. Sometimes I have to add in extra tubing when there is not enough slack.

Great idea and I’ll look this up. I didn’t know if there was something I could do well out on the road but other than that I’ll go to the hardware store again. I appreciate your wisdom and knowledge.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #11

Shark Bite

www.sharkbite.com
Available at all big box stores, and Amazon. They work great.
menekaunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
If the leak is at the pinch clamp there's probably nothing you can do to tighten & stop it. It's prob time for a re-do with a new section of PEX, new faucet connector, new elbow & proper PEX type clamps installed with proper PEX friendly tools. PEX stuff works well without leaks 97.3% of the time...when it doesn't it's a pain .
Exactly what 14apex said. The ONLY way to eliminate the weep or leak is to cut right at the end of the fitting then, use a new fitting and crimp tool replace the crimp band. It can be difficult to get a proper bite of the crimp ring and that is probably why it leaked in the first place. The easiest way to get to the fitting is to remove the sink replace the crimp band and replace the sink to the top.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzac1954 View Post
Exactly what 14apex said. The ONLY way to eliminate the weep or leak is to cut right at the end of the fitting then, use a new fitting and crimp tool replace the crimp band. It can be difficult to get a proper bite of the crimp ring and that is probably why it leaked in the first place. The easiest way to get to the fitting is to remove the sink replace the crimp band and replace the sink to the top.
Actually, the easiest thing to do is use Sharkbite fittings. No need to wrestle with the band or the crimp tool. Just make a fresh cut in the Pex, debur it, then push on the fitting for a permanent fix. I'm all for easy.
I usually carry at least a couple of 90° and couplers of Sharkbite fittings and a short length of pex. Have fixed leakage problems for myself and fellow RVers several times while travelling around. And if you want to redo your plumbing later, the sharkbites are removable and reusable. And yes, I'm a fan.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Actually, the easiest thing to do is use Sharkbite fittings. No need to wrestle with the band or the crimp tool. Just make a fresh cut in the Pex, debur it, then push on the fitting for a permanent fix. I'm all for easy.
I usually carry at least a couple of 90° and couplers of Sharkbite fittings and a short length of pex. Have fixed leakage problems for myself and fellow RVers several times while travelling around. And if you want to redo your plumbing later, the sharkbites are removable and reusable. And yes, I'm a fan.
Ya got me there! Sharkbites are the best and easiest item out for repairs and can be considered permanent fix.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #15

X2 on the Sharkbites. I've used them multiple times not just in our 5er, but other RV's at camp(s).
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #16

Do like I did go buy a two bolt 1/2" or was it 5/8" lock collar can't remember anyhoo that is how I fixed a drip on mine under the sink hasn't leaked since. Just put it over the clamp ring and tighten until it stops. As far as sharkbites they do work OK but I had one on my house plumbing fail as the "O" ring on them does get old and brittle.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #17

If you get a crimp tool, You can probably tighten the existing crimp. It's impossible to do this with the pipe connected to the sink but, since it's easy to disconnect the pipe from the sink, you can then move it to someplace where you can get the tool onto the clamp.

I had the same issue with the cold water feed to the shower; a problem that was located only after the faucet broke and needed a replacement. Unfortunately, even with the faucet removed, there isn't enough slack in that pipe to make it easy to get a crimping tool on the pipe.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #18
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmwildcat View Post
when a pex joint is leaking, about all you can do is cut out the joint and redo it.
I do this with sharkbite push to connect fittings. Much easier than using pex band clamps. Sometimes i have to add in extra tubing when there is not enough slack.
↑ this ↑
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #19
FLY4FUN

Quote:
Amen -- great info.! "Push fittings" work...and LAST, and don't leak. The Sharkbite brass fittings can be a bit heavy if in an area that allows the tubing to flex or vibrate when traveling, so prob a good idea to secure to prevent another area from loosening up.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #20

Leak at sink

If you have time install a quarter turn shutoff valve in a easy spot to get to. with pex clamps or shArkbite, some stores call them by another name. Like someone else said be sure to debur both in and out. Sharks seal on inside and my plumber says to put dish soap in and out on the tubing or pipe. Watch you tube and you won’t have to pipe glue for PVC again.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet