Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #1

Hwy 12 in Utah advice

I’m driving to Georgetown V 10 triton any suggestions with Highway 12 between Capital Reef and Bryce Canyon? Is it worth the scenic drive? I’m concerned about the steep grades and what do you put your transmission in manual low gear or tow haul??

Regards

FF
ffalgoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #2

When we drove it we had a coach with a workhorse chassis and Chevy engine. So can’t answer your question regarding your coach. I can tell you it’s definitely worth the drive. The view at the top is absolutely breathtaking.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffalgoust View Post
I’m driving to Georgetown V 10 triton any suggestions with Highway 12 between Capital Reef and Bryce Canyon? Is it worth the scenic drive? I’m concerned about the steep grades and what do you put your transmission in manual low gear or tow haul??

Regards

FF

Keep in drive take your time let engine and tranny do the job I don’t use the tow button any more down shifts to hard and to often I keep steady speed with my foot and the accelerator peddle
minnesota65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
rbq

Hiway 12 is one of the most scenic drives I have ever been on. Love the views and variety of scenery. let alone the fact that you could hit Capitol Reef National Park on the way and then enjoy Escalante-Grand Stair Case and the Bryce on the west end. Take your time. If you have the time & the energy take the 3 mile hike to Calf Creek Falls. Take plenty of water or best take a water filter. When we hiked it I had the good sense to put my water filter in my pack. It was 100 degree day & so had used all our water by the time we got to the falls. Felt good to cool off in the pool beneath before heading back. I was filling our water bottles from the pump when a little girl that was with another group came up to me & asked if I could fill their bottles. Helped them out as well. Have a great trip & enjoy our great state.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
Dahagen

Just don't try and text while driving the hog-back part of the hiway.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #6

Have a group RV caravan next year for 36 days in this area.
Yes I have heard it is a beautiful drive and probably no issues for your Georgetown.
The WagonMaster of our RV group has decided to drive it with cars and not try it with 22 rigs which probably would probably slow things down a bit as you have to think about others on the road.

If I was doing it on my own I would not hesitate driving my Georgetown and toad. I have many miles hill climbing with mine.
You may not so keep reading what others suggest.

I just Google Mapped it between the two points and looked at the roadway.
I say no problems if you are used to driving on 2 lane routes. Yes it has some curves and hills but nothing I see that the Georgetown can't handle. It all depends on the experience of the driver.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8976...6!9m2!1b1!2i41
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #7

Just drove the route. Very scenic. I was glad I wasn't in the motorhome with a tow. To many places you will want to pull over to take pictures but you won't be able because the pullouts aren't large enough. Can you drive it in a motorhome, yes. Will you wish you were in your car, yes.
DQskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #8

Drive it several times a year. My favorite camping area is at Red Canyon just past Bryce by Panguitch. Just take your time and enjoy.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #9

Did it two days ago, towing a 31 foot 5th wheel in a 2013 F250, no problem, use low gear you'll be fine
Old 05-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #10

Tow Haul Mode

I would definitely use Tow-Haul mode, it will assist in proper downshifting for the mammoth downgrade, avoid using brakes, or at least let off them long enough to dissipate heat. It is a beautiful drive!

Happy Trails
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQskier View Post
Just drove the route. Very scenic. I was glad I wasn't in the motorhome with a tow. To many places you will want to pull over to take pictures but you won't be able because the pullouts aren't large enough. Can you drive it in a motorhome, yes. Will you wish you were in your car, yes.
Like you, we left the coach in a campground and spent the day driving and sight-seeing that incredible road. Then we took an alternate route on down to St. George the next day in the coach.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #12

we did it without any issues

My wife and I drove it in our Georgetown. This was in September 2016.

The drive was beautiful and our RV with toad handled it just fine. In fact, I felt more at ease driving hwy 12 than I did "white-knuckling" downtown Houston.

My only negative was that we would have liked to stop at a few more look-outs. Our rig length made it impossible to use some sites.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #13

Hwy 12 in Utah advice

Just came back from there. Found that 2nd gear worked much better and smoother, as the Tow-haul ran too high RPM’s and noisy. Tow-haul works a lot better for going up and down normal mountain heights.
patyoung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by patyoung1 View Post
Just came back from there. Found that 2nd gear worked much better and smoother, as the Tow-haul ran too high RPM’s and noisy. Tow-haul works a lot better for going up and down normal mountain heights.
Being you just came back from there. It sounds like the road is ups and down a lot. I couldn't see much on Google maps.
Is it really steep of hills on the complete route?
Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
utah