RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
NXR

Installing Camco gutter spouts on a Georgetown GT5

The lack of gutter extensions leads to rain and condensate from the air conditioners either running off the front gutters and on to the sides and the driver/passenger window frames or the water runs off the rear gutters and down the caulking for the rear cap and drip-drip-drip directly on the side rear marker lights. This leaves black streaks on the motorhome and on the front side glass. And raises the possibility of water damage to the windows or marker lights.

I started with these:

Black Permatex sealer/adhesive. This stuff is nasty so be certain to wear gloves while working with it. It's tough to get off and even tougher to get off of skin: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - $3 for three ounces.

Camco 42323 Gutter Spout with Extension - Pack of 4, Black: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - $10 for four.

A goal was to do nothing to the motorhome to disturb the OEM gutter installation. No holes, no pulling the gutter away from the wall to slip the extension behind, etc.

It's not obvious from the ground, however Forest River installs a curved piece of plastic at the end of each gutter to help direct the water. That let me modify the Camco gutter spout so it would fit around that plastic.

I cut a section of plastic off the Camco spout with snips and be careful if you do the same. The plastic is tough to cut and easy to crack. What you're doing is cutting the "back wall" off of the Camco spout.

After that, the spout fit around the curved OEM plastic piece. I then used the Permatex to secure it in place. After glopping the messy Permatex in the appropriate places I used black electrical tape to hold the spout in place until the Permatex dried. And you really want to wear gloves with that stuff.

I took a clue from another person and drilled a 1/8" hole through the Camco spout and through the OEM plastic piece. When the two are mated, that allows the Permatex to flow through each hole, which should help the spout stay in place. In retrospect, I should find some small, short self-tapping screws, maybe 1/8" long, and use the screw to mechanically secure the Camco spout to the OEM curved plastic piece.

I've only done the passenger front gutter as of now and will be working on the others this week. It may rain today so I'll see if I can get a short video or picture of how it actually works.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spout-OEM.png
Views:	116
Size:	825.5 KB
ID:	229883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spout-Modified.png
Views:	100
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	229884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spout-Placement.PNG
Views:	93
Size:	982.9 KB
ID:	229885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spout-Taped.png
Views:	83
Size:	850.3 KB
ID:	229886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spout-Final.PNG
Views:	84
Size:	597.7 KB
ID:	229887  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spout-Permatex.PNG
Views:	76
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	229888  
Old 05-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #2

Ray

How far do they extend?

Wayne
wnewman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewman53 View Post
How far do they extend?
I just measured one. They extend 4" from the side, so less than the awnings do on the passenger side.

A fifth wheel next to us some months ago had them installed and it was just far enough that the water would not come back against the wall even in a stiff breeze.

Ray
Old 05-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #4

Thanks. I may consider doing same. I don't like the black streaks.
wnewman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
Btm

Sure looks like they will work. When it rains let us know how they divert the water.

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #6

I had the white ones on my TT. They worked great. No more dripping onto the parking lights and splashing everywhere, not to mention no more black streaks. I have been thinking about them for the MH, but I haven’t looked to see the factory gutter I have. I thought I had the standard ones, but. Now I will have to recheck!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btm View Post
Sure looks like they will work. When it rains let us know how they divert the water.
It did not rain last night but it's supposed to rain on Friday. Apparently someone forgot to tell the weather that, with the lockdown, it does not have to wait for a weekend to turn cold and rain.

Today was "de-winterize, clean, fill, and balance the hot tub" day. Fortunately there does not seem to have been any freeze damage, and this was the first winter we did not use it. So that's good. So far.

I should be able to work on the other three corners tomorrow.

Ray
Old 05-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #8

Unhappy Gutter extensions

I have the gutter extensions on my Isata 3, both sides and front and back. They do what they are suppose to, keep the rain off the sides of the MH. One problem, the one on the drivers side, drips directly on the side mirror and makes a terrible sound. Its like chinese torture. The drip, drip drip! I tried to move it some how but wouldn't move, so I didn't want to crack it off. Any one have any ideas what I can do. The passenger side does not hit the mirror, misses by about 1/2 inch.
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrx View Post
One problem, the one on the drivers side, drips directly on the side mirror and makes a terrible sound. Its like chinese torture. The drip, drip drip! I tried to move it some how but wouldn't move, so I didn't want to crack it off. Any one have any ideas what I can do. The passenger side does not hit the mirror, misses by about 1/2 inch.
Do like my buddy did, get too close to a toll booth. Then you can install the new mirror anywhere you want.

In all seriousness, the Camco rear ones are angled the other way. As long as the water wouldn't drip on the door or the step you could try swapping it out.

Ray
Old 05-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Do like my buddy did, get too close to a toll booth. Then you can install the new mirror anywhere you want.

In all seriousness, the Camco rear ones are angled the other way. As long as the water wouldn't drip on the door or the step you could try swapping it out.

Ray
As my Dad used to say.....thereís always some character out there that wants to take short cuts to addressing a problem.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #11

No seriously!
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
As my Dad used to say.....there’s always some character out there that wants to take short cuts to addressing a problem.
It was the passenger side and he did not see or hear it depart 'cause he uses an E-ZPass and was by himself. Then about a hundred feet from the toll booth the TPMS went off.

The mirror got caught between the passenger side duals and a screw that held the mirror to the exterior wall punctured the sidewall of one of the duals.

A four-hour wait for roadside assistance, a replacement mirror, new awning end caps (but no damage to the awnings), a grand later, and he's RV'ing again.

I now suffer from PTSD just thinking about toll booths and I've never even driven the motorhome through one. Pre-Traumatic Stress Disorder, of course.

Ray
Old 05-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #13

Ray always use the far right lanes which are designed for semi's and larger vehicles. Following the big trucks is always on my mind approaching tollbooths back east.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Ray, always use the far right lanes which are designed for semi's and larger vehicles. Following the big trucks is always on my mind approaching tollbooths back east.
That is also my plan however the Ohio Turnpike Commission, in its bureaucratic wisdom, has the end lanes closed many times.

They did announce the removal of the gates at toll booths for E-ZPass users and "Bill by plate" last year but those changes are not supposed to be ready for two more years. And that was pre-COVID.

Ray
Old 05-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #15

I used those gutter extensions, yes I said used them. We boondock and just about every time we were in a treed area it was guaranteed that a branch would grab on to those extensions and rip them off. I don't know what would have happened if the extensions were glued on. Got tired of replacing them and I now use clothes pins. They divert the water away from the sides of the 5er to my satisfaction and you can buy them by the bag full, lol. They do stay on while traveling at 60/65 mph surprisingly.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #16
NXR

So back to the original topic. I installed the other three corners today. Lessons learned:

• That black Permatex is REALLY NASTY stuff. It gets everywhere. I went through two or three pairs of gloves on each corner. I chose black Permatex because the front part of my motorhome is black and the spouts are black. So no painting required.

• Since the rear upper corners are tan but the awning nearby is black I figured black would look acceptable. Because that Permatex gets everywhere, be certain to mask off about 6" around where you will caulk. Otherwise you will have a mess to clean up. Be especially certain to run some masking over the outside trim piece of the rear cap. It does not clean up as well as the side walls.

• The noted modification of the spout was the same for the other three. This time I put the spout in a vise and cut that "back wall" off with a hack saw. That was much easier and a cleaner cut. A flat file cleaned up the edges.

• My rear spouts had tan caulk between that curved plastic piece and the rear cap. I wedged the spout edge into that area, between the existing caulk and that curved plastic piece, so the rear spouts are also mounted the same as the one in the previous pictures. I then spread the Permatex over that existing caulk.

• Be certain to look closely at the forward-facing edge for any place where the air from driving could infiltrate. That could cause the spout to work loose or depart the vehicle. I just used the Permatex to fill in those areas.

So now all I need is some rain, which should be this Friday.

If the spouts depart the vehicle the first time we drive the motorhome, please do not follow any of this advice.

Ray
Old 05-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #17
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
I used those gutter extensions, yes I said used them. We boondock and just about every time we were in a treed area it was guaranteed that a branch would grab on to those extensions and rip them off. I
Interesting. That could be an issue on the driver side but since the awnings are on the passenger side and at the same height, I could use the spouts as an early warning system.

Ray
Old 05-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #18

More alternatives

Ray, some other options to fasten the long extensions to your short extensions:
  • You could use those 1/8" holes for aluminum pop rivets--they would not rust.
  • You could drill for 6-32 stainless steel RH machine screws.
  • You could use hot melt glue.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:51 PM   #19
NXR

Thanks, Larry. I'm going to give each of them a good bending tomorrow after 24 hours of curing and see what happens. One concern I have with running screws through the two pieces is that it's not a very big area. Leaves, needles, and similar in the water flow could hang up on the protruding screw. But if they bend too much tomorrow or the Permatex starts to look like it may tear I will mechanically fasten them somehow.

Ray
Old 05-27-2020, 08:10 PM   #20

Short screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Thanks, Larry. I'm going to give each of them a good bending tomorrow after 24 hours of curing and see what happens. One concern I have with running screws through the two pieces is that it's not a very big area. Leaves, needles, and similar in the water flow could hang up on the protruding screw. But if they bend too much tomorrow or the Permatex starts to look like it may tear I will mechanically fasten them somehow.

Ray
Short screws. Any length beyond flush with the inside adds no strength. That's why I suggested drilling and tapping and using machine screws, not pointed self-tapping screws.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown