Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Installing Magnum ms2800 inverter

I have a 2012 georgetown 351ds bunkhouse model and
I am getting ready to install solar panels and magnum ms2800 puresine inverter to avoid using generator .... Any suggestions as to where to install the inverter? I was thinking of the storage left of the steps but I guess I will lose most of that storage ...

Also the set up now only has enough space for 2 batteries... Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated
CalifRvLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:14 AM   #2

You want to install both the inverter and solar charge controller as close as possible to the batteries, but not in the same compartment with the batteries. It is necessary to keep all the cables as short as possible, and use large gauge cables.

I recently installed two 140 watt solar panels on the roof of my Georgetown 373 and ran #4 cable from a junction box on the roof down to the basement compartment directly adjacent to the batteries under the steps. I also installed a small 300 watt Samlex commercial grade sine wave inverter in the same area. Both the inverter and Morningstar Tri-star solar controller are mounted to a piece of plywood that is attached to the basement compartment wall adjacent to the batteries.

The 300 watt inverter is also connected to the batteries using #4 cable. I chose a 300 watt inverter because I also only have two batteries, and a large inverter like the one you want to use will deplete (and possibly damage) the batteries very quickly. The 300 watt inverter works well for my needs, as I wanted to power the bedroom LED/LCD TV and blu-ray player (35 watts and 28 watts each), and also be able to operate my laptop computer (80 watts) and the wife's netbook (50 watts). I installed new dedicated electric outlets in the locations where I wanted the inverter power available in my Georgetown.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #3

Thanks for the info.

Maybe the inverter I got is an overkill? Lol

I think I'll try to find a way to have 4 batteries. maybe build a platform to hold 4 6v
CalifRvLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, installation, inverter, magnum, solar, georgetown