Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Inverter failed AGAIN!

With about 2400 miles from home base, the refridgetator inverter, a Xantrex ProWatt 2000 failed again. The GFCI will not reset, so no electricity to the residential fridge while driving unless I run the generator. This is the fourth one since purchasing my 378 in December of 2014.

The Xantrex folks have been great. They answer their phones and have sent out the last two replacement units under their two year warranty.

The problem is that we are making the trek from South Dakota back to Florida and don't have an address for them to meet us on the way....

Could there be something wrong in my charging transfer switch or other component that is making these blow other than the inverter itself?

Thoughts?
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #2

Just a thought here but my inverter will shut down if the battery voltage drops too low. When driving without the generator running, is your alternator able to keep up with the demands of the inverter?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #3

My inverter doesn't just shut down, it seems to blow the GFCI and it will not reset. That is the symptom anyway. It may in fact blow a board inside and prevent the GFCI from resetting. No idea until Xantrex gets it back to their tech lab....
Old 07-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
Coach

Is this inverter hardwired to a battery/batteries and if so, is it reading 12 volts at the inverter input?

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:42 AM   #5

I can't answer the hardwired issue. Wouldn't it be through the transfer switch? But yes it reads it voltage of 12.4 - 13 dc volts, then it flashes 110 ac voltage...
Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #6
Coach

You got me on this one. It sounds almost like the GFCI is getting backfed somehow, but I wouldn't know how.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #7

Definitely got me and the Xantrek rep stumped as well. He is suggesting g we upgrade to their more resistant freedom line.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #8

I'm a marine electrician, and I can't count the number of Xantrex inverter failures that I've seen. If it were out of warranty, I would suggest replacing it with a Magnum brand inverter. Great product, well designed and built, excellent company to work with.

Good luck, I hope Xantrex will find something that works for you.

John
Outtahere100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #9
Laverne & Surely

Same Issue

You are not alone. We just purchased our 2019 378XL, and while on our first trip, no inverter, no refrigerator. We ran the generator to keep the refrigerator running. Tried all the troubleshooting. The GFI seems ok, so I believe the ProWatt inverter is not functional (even with the switch showing a green light). We will be seeking a fix under warranty, as soon as a technician can take us. So maybe we will ditch the ProWatt... hmmmm
Vudu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #10

Contact Xantrex, they will replace right away. Great customer service. On your 2019, is the in erger a Prowatt or freedom. I understand FR miss switching to the freedom line for exactly this reason.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #11

Vudu .. please let us know what resolves this issue.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:40 AM   #12

interesting...

- did you say that you think the inverter is causing the issue with your GFCI outlet?, but that it works fine on Generator or Shore Power?

- I wouldn't think that your Inverter is wired as an additional source thru your ATS(automatic transfer switch), as that is only for 120v sources that power the whole breaker panel - your inverter typically only powers a certain set of individual breakers(residential fridge, etc), and probably has it's own 'transfer switch' internally that 'passes thru' power from the Generator or Shore Power from the ATS to the Inverted breaker circuits.

- Is your inverter the type that has a integrated Charger, or does your RV have a separate Converter/Charger?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #13

In my case (2014 378), the inverter is dedicated to the Frigidaire refrigerator. It does not power anything else. It is the GFCI in the inverter that trips and is actually damaged. Some suggest that the refrigerator startup draw is too long or too strong for this particular inverter. FR has since changed refrigerator to an LG with a 'linear" startup (whatever that means). I think that FR is also no longer installing the Prowatt 2000 in the XL (model GT7) coach. I will be swapping out my Prowatt 2000 for Freedom inverter next month. Cheaper than replacing the refrigerator. Will keep y'all posted.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #14

yep, that's a strange one, as our Magnum 2000w, which powers all of our outlets in our coach, including the ones with the Residential Whirlpool fridge, microwave, the GFCI circuit outlets, and several other breaker circuits, has never had any issue powering the fridge...even with everything else running/operating at the same time - all while on the Inverter only.

It almost sounds like something in the coach's wiring, like a Neutral, Ground, or similar wiring is not 'acting' right - a loose connection, possibly. It's hard to imagine that your fridge's brand or model would have anything to do with this.

I suppose that your inverter, if only powering the fridge, either has the fridge plugged into it Directly, or it has a separate Dedicated outlet run just for the fridge to plug into?
Old 08-29-2018, 08:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
yep, that's a strange one, as our Magnum 2000w, which powers all of our outlets in our coach, including the ones with the Residential Whirlpool fridge, microwave, the GFCI circuit outlets, and several other breaker circuits, has never had any issue powering the fridge...even with everything else running/operating at the same time - all while on the Inverter only.

It almost sounds like something in the coach's wiring, like a Neutral, Ground, or similar wiring is not 'acting' right - a loose connection, possibly. It's hard to imagine that your fridge's brand or model would have anything to do with this.

I suppose that your inverter, if only powering the fridge, either has the fridge plugged into it Directly, or it has a separate Dedicated outlet run just for the fridge to plug into?
The fridge plugs directly into the inverter. This will be the 4th inverter, the last one only lasted a couple of weeks......
Old 08-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #16

well it certainly sounds like your fridge doesn't want to play well with the inverter, but I'm pulling a blank as to 'how' that would happen - the size of the inverter and the relatively small draw from a residential fridge's compressor coming online shouldn't be any issue, but I suppose the Inverter's built-in GFCI could be part of the problem, though I'm not sure the 'GFCI's operation has anything to do with amps, or power 'surge', etc... it's usually only associated with moisture or water/grounding issue.

I'm wondering if you plugged something else into the Inverter, such as the microwave, would the same problem occur.

I suppose at different brand inverter, maybe without the built-in GFCI, or a direct wired connection to the fridge, might warrant different results - at least let's hope.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #17

I have had the same inverter for 3 years. GFCI was popped when I got it...never since. I also have another Xantrex of the same line that I installed to power some of my outlets. It has never popped.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #18
RJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
The fridge plugs directly into the inverter. This will be the 4th inverter, the last one only lasted a couple of weeks......

360 True, sorry you are having such troubles with your inverter. I have the same inverter and refrigerator as you. Picked up my unit Nov ‘14. I know you full time and we only average about 3 months a year and have put about 30,000 miles on our GT. We haven’t experienced any problems with the set up, I also have a UV water sanitizer plugged into it. Makes me wonder if there isn’t something in the coach’s wiring prior to the inverter that is somehow causing the issue. I hope switching to the Freedom from the Prowatt fixes it for you, that’s got to be frustrating.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
Definitely got me and the Xantrek rep stumped as well. He is suggesting g we upgrade to their more resistant freedom line.
When the GFCI goes, its nearly always serious. The reason it won’t latch is is because there is no 110. I went through 2 of them and then upgraded to the Xantrex XI. which has been perfect for the last year. No sudden shutdowns or other issues.

It has a removable face plate to use as a remote and built in 110 switch, simplifying installation. The internal switch is also faster and handles more current.

I got fed up and tried to repair it by replacing the Mosfets but it didn’t work, big waste of time. That model should be discontinued, there are a lot of similar stories about the GFCI going.

Xantrex is a great company and I love my current model. It is also about the same price Icompared to the old model when you calculate the cost of the external switch and remote the old one needed.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #20

Happy it worked for you. Will keep you posted. Have an appointment mid-sept

Tags
inverter, led