Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
_nelsonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 151
Inverter “High AC” alarm at night

We are in steamy Alabama for a week in our 2021.5 36D7 and I have been dealing with “High AC” alarms every night between midnight and 3am. We have seen the same error in Florida and in Ohio a couple times when running both AC units, but not like we are seeing now. A screen shot is below. The inverter is a Magnum Model MS2000-20B and does seem warm to the touch when i have to reset it. I have pulled the beauty cover to get more air to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7786.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	276013

Any ideas are appreciated!
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:07 AM   #2
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,178
According to the specs on that inverter, running two A/Cs on it is likely over stressing it especially if they start about the same time.
Continuous Power
2000 VA (16.7 A)
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:36 AM   #3
clr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hawkins, Texas
Posts: 1,175
Do you have a EMS or similar on the unit. It sounds like to me the power company is increasing the voltage on the line due to high demand. Then at night when the load is lighter the voltage increases thus causing your alarm. I would be watching the ac line voltage coming into to your unit. If you do not have a EMS you can purchase a cheap ac voltage monitor or use your multi meter. Just measure at the same point within your unit at all times, and watch the voltage changes.
__________________
Chuck & Sandra
Engineer/Teacher
2010 F350 CC 6.4
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:48 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,135
What are you using this inverter for at night? I'm assuming you're on shore power and not trying to run an AC unit thru the inverter off batteries. I don't know of an inverter that reads line voltage and it should be isolated from line power.

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:48 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
According to the specs on that inverter, running two A/Cs on it is likely over stressing it especially if they start about the same time.
Continuous Power
2000 VA (16.7 A)
He can't be powering the AC from a 2,000 watt inverter.



Why is the inverter even on if you're connected to shore power?
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,135
Question in I forgot to ask: What voltage in "high voltage?"

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:03 PM   #7
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
He can't be powering the AC from a 2,000 watt inverter.



Why is the inverter even on if you're connected to shore power?
Agree, but the way I read the OP seemed like he was trying. I have seen stranger things.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:05 PM   #8
clr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hawkins, Texas
Posts: 1,175
The stated inverter is an inverter and charger. The charger would be directly connected to the shore ac to charge the batteries. So this inverter does see the shore ac voltage and is alarming due to it being too high.
__________________
Chuck & Sandra
Engineer/Teacher
2010 F350 CC 6.4
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,135
I'd call it a charger or at least power panel to avoid confusion since it isn't inverting anything connected to shorepower.

What's "high voltage" -- how many volts is your unit showing?

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #10
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 3,575
Either the inverter is mis-calibrated or you have a bigger problem because there is no way the power company would ever boost the input voltage to anything approaching 150 volts AC.

Do you have an EMS that will kill the power automatically in the event of a wiring fault? If you do then it's likely this is a Magnum problem.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	High VAC.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	276037  
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:56 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 112
The device that you are looking at is the controller not the actual inverter/charger. Do you have a manual for the controller? There are very many settings that can be adjusted, and one of those found under the setup menus concerns the allowable range of AC input voltage. My guess is the AC range is set to 95 to 130 VAC or something similar, and your incoming line voltage is above that at night when demand falls off. You can simply set the allowable value to something larger, but the fact that you are getting this message is likely a warning that your systems may be. experiencing dangerously high voltages that could potentially damage things. A good power conditioner/surge protector could provide protection in this situation.

Good luck.
__________________
Rick
Deerfield, WI

Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
and
Leisure Travel Vans U24MB
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:13 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
_nelsonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 151
Inverter “High AC” alarm at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Do you have a EMS or similar on the unit. It sounds like to me the power company is increasing the voltage on the line due to high demand. Then at night when the load is lighter the voltage increases thus causing your alarm. I would be watching the ac line voltage coming into to your unit. If you do not have a EMS you can purchase a cheap ac voltage monitor or use your multi meter. Just measure at the same point within your unit at all times, and watch the voltage changes.


I do not have an EMS, at least not that i am aware of. I have a cheap harbor freight multimeter, the next time it happens i will check the voltage.

To summarize/answer a couple other replys:

1) I do not have the inverter on. The inverter is also my battery charger so it is on whether i want it to be or not.

2) This has happened multiple times, in multiple states, but only when I have both AC units going.

3) I have read through the remote controller manual and have found no way to change the high voltage alarm setpoint. Even if I did, I would not change it as I do not think there is a true high voltage situation as I am sure everyone around me would have seen something similar. I have reset it to default, but it did it again after that.

4) I do run a surge suppressor, but this happens whether it is plugged in or not.

5) When this happens, only the outlets connected through the inverter are impacted (which is basically all of them). The main problem is that it disconnects the fridge.

6) This happened at 11:30pm last night. After i reset everything (shut off 12v then disconnect shore power then turn both back on) I ran just the rear AC and it did not happen again. I am going to set it up that way tonight.

7) I called the CW where I bought it and they cannot even get me in to look at it until September. Obviously unacceptable.

8) I am going to call Magnum later today to see if they can help. I beleive I have a bad Inverter.

9) If Magnum cannot help, I will go to the Frog Rally and hopefully FR will come through.

Thanks for all your support and ideas!
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:32 AM   #13
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 3,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc
I do not have an EMS, at least not that i am aware of. I have a cheap harbor freight multimeter, maybe the next time it happens i will check the voltage.
I'd also use the multimeter stuck in an outlet to look at the voltage during various times of the day. Check both outlets in the bathroom (GFCI protected outlets) and non-GFCI protected outlets (bedroom outlets).

You should never be above roughly 135 volts AC in any outlet. If you are, get the campground involved immediately.

The one concern I'd have is if you are experiencing an "open neutral" condition, even intermittently.

With a 50-amp RV, a disconnected or intermittent neutral wire connection, even briefly, will cause the voltage applied to all 120 volt AC thingies to jump to around 240 volts AC. That does fry things permanently.

I don't think that's what is happening because the warning has occurred so many times (apparently) and I'd think you would see some failures already, expensive failures. Has anything stopped working since you arrived?

150 volts is really high and I'm surprised Magnum has the alarm level set so high, actually.

An EMS continuously monitors the electrical power and if a problem is sensed it automatically disconnects the power to the RV until the fault goes away.

There are portable EMS units that plug into the pedestal and then the RV power cord plugs into the EMS unit. There are hard-wired EMS units that get spliced into the RV power cord so the EMS unit is always working and protected from the weather and theft. Either will work as long as it's actually used 100% of the time.

SurgeGuard, Hughes, and Progressive Industries are the big manufacturers. Expect to pay $200 or more, though, but that is less than an insurance deductible.

Don't bother wasting your money on a cheaper model that does not cut the power off automatically. Like the "surge suppressor" you already bought.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
_nelsonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 151
Inverter “High AC” alarm at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I'd also use the multimeter stuck in an outlet to look at the voltage during various times of the day. Check both outlets in the bathroom (GFCI protected outlets) and non-GFCI protected outlets (bedroom outlets).

You should never be above roughly 135 volts AC in any outlet. If you are, get the campground involved immediately.

The one concern I'd have is if you are experiencing an "open neutral" condition, even intermittently.

With a 50-amp RV, a disconnected or intermittent neutral wire connection, even briefly, will cause the voltage applied to all 120 volt AC thingies to jump to around 240 volts AC. That does fry things permanently.

I don't think that's what is happening because the warning has occurred so many times (apparently) and I'd think you would see some failures already, expensive failures. Has anything stopped working since you arrived?

150 volts is really high and I'm surprised Magnum has the alarm level set so high, actually.

An EMS continuously monitors the electrical power and if a problem is sensed it automatically disconnects the power to the RV until the fault goes away.

There are portable EMS units that plug into the pedestal and then the RV power cord plugs into the EMS unit. There are hard-wired EMS units that get spliced into the RV power cord so the EMS unit is always working and protected from the weather and theft. Either will work as long as it's actually used 100% of the time.

SurgeGuard, Hughes, and Progressive Industries are the big manufacturers. Expect to pay $200 or more, though, but that is less than an insurance deductible.

Don't bother wasting your money on a cheaper model that does not cut the power off automatically.

Ray


I have a Southwire Surge Guard model 44290 and it is installed and did not detect/prevent it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7804.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	276057  
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:00 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,135
The LED indicator pattern doesn't match any of those listed in the manual but sometimes LEDs don't get picked up in photos. Is the middle LED really Off?

Quote:
In the case of 240V power, other indications shown by the 44290 could mean mis-wiring or missing power. In all of these cases you should consult a licensed electrician to correct fault conditions, or move RV and connect to a different pedestal.
-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:12 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
_nelsonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
The LED indicator pattern doesn't match any of those listed in the manual but sometimes LEDs don't get picked up in photos. Is the middle LED really Off?







-- Chuck


I saw that myself and looked and all three are on, maybe just caught it when that one was being refreshed.

Will need to keep an eye on that!
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:37 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,135
Something as simple as this will show the line voltage. Twenty bucks and Amazon can put it on your front porch tomorrow. Plugs into any outlet. (There are probably 100s of similar devices.)

https://www.amazon.com/Hughes-Autofo...05996412&psc=1



-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #18
Member
 
roblombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: California
Posts: 80
My bet is you will eventually find an open neutral. In this condition, the voltage seen on any one leg is relative to the impedance of the load on the opposite leg. In my practical experience, I usually see 150-180V. It is probable you have a poor (high impedance) neutral connection somewhere, and the fault is only realized when a high current opposite phase load is active. Do a comprehensive check and re-torque of all AC connections.
__________________

2015 Sunseeker 2500TS
Magnum 3000VA Hybrid Inverter w/AGS, Relion Lithium w/Victron BMV-712, 600W 24V Solar, 5 Star tune, Hellwig Bars, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo springs, On-board SSD PLEX server, MOFI router, Full HD video distribution w/Apple TV's...
IBEW Local 551 Foreman
roblombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:54 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Payson, az
Posts: 3,497
put that multimeter to use and monitor the line voltage.

the fact that this is happening at multiple park locations makes me very suspicious of the magnum unit. but it would be most interesting to have the multimeter voltage reading at the time that the magnum is showing the high voltage.
__________________
2015 cardinal model 3825fl
2015 dodge ram 3500 dually
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:18 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 112
I would give Magnum Energy tech support a call. (425) 353-8833

To be clear, when you are on shore power, you do not have to have the inverter inverting (and should not). Simply press the inverter button twice (once to wake up the controller and once to stop inverting), the INV light should not be lit. Yes, it is also a charger, but the charger function is completely independent and is unrelated to wheather the system is supplying inverted power.
__________________
Rick
Deerfield, WI

Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
and
Leisure Travel Vans U24MB
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
inverter

« Rock Guards | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.