Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2022, 03:35 PM   #1

Inverter location

2015 Forest river Georgetown 377xl
My residential refrigerator not working anymore on my coach batteries. Took a lightning strike fairly close to my rv that tripped some breakers in AZ. Reset all the breakers and everything is fine but no refrigerator. The refrigerator works fine when on shore power or generator power. I know that the refrigerator worked in the past with just the coach batteries. All 4 batteries are brand new. Can someone tell me where the inverter is located on my coach so I can see if there is a inline fuse that may have blown?
Thanks for any help
Steve Trenasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Member - Retired

I have a different model but similar 2014 Georgetown. On my motorhome the inverter is located above the propane tank. Open the outside access door to your propane tank and look above the tank for a black piece of material with a round white screw in piece of plastic about six inches in diameter. Unscrew the plastic piece and the inverter becomes partially visible through the opening.

Good luck.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #3

Thank you . Found my inverter[emoji2] now I just need to see if its working properly.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Trenasty View Post
Thank you . Found my inverter[emoji2] now I just need to see if its working properly.
Prowatt sw 2000
Old 11-15-2022, 11:07 PM   #5

If yours is mounted like ours you won't be able to see if the invertor itself is on. If the GFI resets your good to go. If not, try the power button as well then try resetting the GFI.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:36 PM   #6

Thanks Mooney. Pretty sure my inverter is toast. Gfi plug in on my inverter will not reset. Pushed reset button and it buzzed at me strong. Tried plugging in a small hair dryer in it and (no power). I've made an appointment in January in Phoenix to have it replaced. My residential refrigerator will still work on shore power or my generator so I'm alright till January. My inverter still shows 13.3 watts on the display butt no trouble codes. In Fort Myers Florida now and heading westbound in a few weeks to Arizona.
Thanks for the advice and safe travels
Steve T.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:38 PM   #7

Also thanks ca fishermen
Old 11-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #8

we have a prowatt 2000 inverter. if you can reset, or try to reset, the gfi on the face of the inverter you can also access the control panel. there is a display on it that displays the status of the inverter. what is it showing. i think there is also a red a green led light that shows if it is inverting or not. (i may have this wrong). also the cable from the inverter to the batteries probably has a circuit breaker or some type of current limiting device. check it to make sure it is not tripped and that the inverter is actually getting 12 volt power from the batteries. it is hard for me to believe that a lightning strike would affect the inverter as there is no connection from shore power to the inverter. i'm not saying it didn't happen. have you checked the trouble shooting section in the inverter manual?
Old 11-17-2022, 10:13 PM   #9

Thanks CHICKDOE[emoji846] I'm going to check my inverter voltage tomorrow with a multimeter. The gfi plug in buttons feel weird and it doesn't seem like it will reset. I have heard that if the gfi plug in won't reset that the dc side of the inverter is trashed. Don't no if the lightning did it forsure but I'm gonna shut my main breaker off during lightning storms. My inverter is covered by my extended warranty that the dealer insisted I buy. I'm using every bit of that 3500.00 (paid cash for warranty) that I can. Inverter is 8 years old and maybe its run it's time.
Thanks for the info
Steve T.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:59 PM   #10

Meant( ac side of inverter is trashed)
Old 11-18-2022, 06:58 AM   #11

i agree that it does not appear that the inverter is producing ac output power. as to why, i don't know. all you can do is verify that it is getting proper 12 volt input power. make sure it is turned on and check the status lights and display panel. you might want to turn it on/off via the switch on the inverter itself rather than using the remote switch.

that model inverter does not have any 120 volt a/c power going into it. so it is still hard to believe that the lightning affected the inverter via the 120 volt shore power wiring. the output 120 volt power goes into an external transfer switch that isolates the shore power 120 volt power from the inverter output power.

please let us know what you find out as i have the same model inverter and it is of the same vintage. so i am following this.

sorry you are having the problem.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:42 PM   #12

Replace the GFIC? I don't know much, but they are sensitive and inexpensive.
grnrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:40 PM   #13

measure the output voltage at inverter.

make sure you set multi meter to read Alternating Current AC

if there is 120v then the wiring OR the outlet is at fault

IF.. there is no power 12v going into the inverter

look to see if there is a breaker or fuse near the battery for the inverter
Old 01-05-2023, 02:31 PM   #14

Good news on my inverter[emoji3] fixed and repaired. It turned out all that I needed was a new gfi plug for the inverter. Had State trailer in Peoria Az. and they did an awesome job! In and out in only a few hours. Kudos to them.
Stay safe fellow RVers
STEVE
Old 01-10-2023, 06:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Trenasty View Post
Good news on my inverter[emoji3] fixed and repaired. It turned out all that I needed was a new gfi plug for the inverter. Had State trailer in Peoria Az. and they did an awesome job! In and out in only a few hours. Kudos to them.
Stay safe fellow RVers
STEVE
Thanks for posting the solution! Way to go.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, inverter, location